• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Major cause of blisters and other foot ailments

piogaw

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
This comment is based on my exprience of greeting peregrinos who have arrived and stayed at my albergue at the end of their caminos in santiago.

A piece of advice to all future peregrinos: PLEASE, PLEASE, do not carried a heavy load. This is the major cause of blisters on the camino. Many of the older peregrinos especially the over 60s very seldom have any foot ailments as their rucksack are usually 10% or less of their body weight. On the other hand i saw and will continue to see many young peregrinos walking short distances like from tui or sarria into my albergue limping and with very bad blisters. I normally helped them to take off their backpacks and usually asked them the weights of their backpacks. Not to my surprise, many of their backpacks weighed at least 10 kilos. This is way, way too much weight to carry day in day out for the camino. The worst offenders are the young peregrinas who have to have everything packed into their backpacks.

I probably will be accused of profiling. But i want to reiterate my actual experience in my albergue. I have been a hospitalero here for almost 2 months now.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR BACKPACK WEIGHT DOWN TO 10% OR LESS.

Buen camino and may god bless you all.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This comment is based on my exprience of greeting peregrinos who have arrived and stayed at my albergue at the end of their caminos in santiago.

A piece of advice to all future peregrinos: PLEASE, PLEASE, do not carried a heavy load. This is the major cause of blisters on the camino. Many of the older peregrinos especially the over 60s very seldom have any foot ailments as their rucksack are usually 10% or less of their body weight. On the other hand i saw and will continue to see many young peregrinos walking short distances like from tui or sarria into my albergue limping and with very bad blisters. I normally helped them to take off their backpacks and usually asked them the weights of their backpacks. Not to my surprise, many of their backpacks weighed at least 10 kilos. This is way, way too much weight to carry day in day out for the camino. The worst offenders are the young peregrinas who have to have everything packed into their backpacks.

I probably will be accused of profiling. But i want to reiterate my actual experience in my albergue. I have been a hospitalero here for almost 2 months now.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR BACKPACK WEIGHT DONN TO 10% OR LESS.

Buen camino and may god bless you all.

Totally agree with you.

You can say it louder but not clearer.:)

Buen Camino!

What about the military? e.g quote from website.

" There is no-one to provide you with anything you have left behind! We carry our kit in a pack called a Bergen, which can weigh 35-45kg. As well as that, we have our weapons and ammunition to carry with us on exercise and on operations. We have to carry this over all types of terrain in conditions from the Arctic to the desert – often for up to 25km a day."

I'm not ex military, and can hardly lift 45kg, but can walk long distances (40km x 12 days) with in excess of 20% of my bodyweight.

I would suggest that we all have different weight carrying ability.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That´s great Houlet. Next time you see a fellow peregrino who is suffering from blisters and can hardly walk let alone carry their backpack
just offer to help them out by carrying theirs as well as yours.:rolleyes:

The fellow peregrino will surely thank you for your help.

Buen Camino!

Yikes! - I am at 12% But isn't it easier to do 10% or less when one is walking the Camino in the summer? I think the items I have included for fall weather have bumped me up to 12%.

Thank you for this information, I will do my
Yikes! - I am at 12% But isn't it easier to do 10% or less when one is walking the Camino in the summer? I think the items I have included for fall weather have bumped me up to 12%.

Hey would you be so kind as to share what is in your pack? I've not been able to weigh all that will be in mine yet,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for this information, I will do my

Hey would you be so kind as to share what is in your pack? I've not been able to weigh all that will be in mine yet,
This is what is packed in my backpack:
  1. Very small Marmot sleeping bag
  2. Wool scarf, gloves and stocking cap
  3. gaiters
  4. 1 pr light weight long johns
  5. 1 pr convertible pants (zip off to make shorts)
  6. 2 short sleeve t-shirts (quick dry)
  7. 1 long sleeve t-shirt (quick dry)
  8. wide brim cloth hat (light weight)
  9. 1 pr smart wool socks
  10. small microfiber towel
  11. 2 pr quick dry underwear
  12. 1 pr nylon shorts
  13. sandal type shoes (I can wear in albergue & shower)
  14. electric shaver and charger
  15. iphone & charger
  16. travel adapter/converter
  17. very small digital camera and charger
  18. nail clippers, needle and thread
  19. 1 small zip lock bag (qt size) with vitamins, asprin & imodium
  20. 1 small zip lock bag (qt size) with shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, bar soap, etc
  21. small flash light
  22. 1 small zip lock bag with first aid supplies
  23. rain jacket with hood
I will wear a long sleeve shirt(quick dry), pair of convertible pants, smart wool socks, hiking boots and merino wool sweater

Last edited:
Great thanks, I've posted my list on 'Packing list Outline' but it needs some tweeking, great to see what others have and learn from others. You leave for your Camino pretty soon?

Great thanks, I've posted my list on 'Packing list Outline' but it needs some tweeking, great to see what others have and learn from others. You leave for your Camino pretty soon?
Yes - I will start in Roncesvalles on 24 September. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And Buen Camino to you too!

I'm a little over a month after you, end of October, think I might need to think about gaiters!

The information in the OP is very valid I suffered terribly with blisters and started out in snow and hail in may yet walked through high temps on the mesata in june in only shorts & tee, expecting cold starts and more rain ahead it would be irresponsible to discard weather gear at this stage so it increases pack weight
I also carried 2lt (2kg) water and ran out on a couple of occasions ( to tricastela was one i recall)
I also used my sleeping bag every night in the alburgues
Some days i wore all 3 pair of socks through either padding blisters or torrential rain and wished i had more socks
I was unable to wash & dry clohing everyday as i often arrived late and in rain, alburgues were never heated ( neither were the couple of pensions or hotel i stayed and so clothing would not be dry early next morning
Even carrying a couple of pieces of fruit, nuts and chocolate adds unwelcome weight

I never felt i could dispose of anything in my pack and often wished a had another of something, socks & suncream/ moituriser come to mind

So while the advice is sound on its own, I'd love to meet a peregrino carrying a 6kg pack in which everything required is contained
That would be a camino miracle

I am at 12% But isn't it easier to do 10% or less when one is walking the Camino in the summer? I think the items I have included for fall weather have bumped me up to 12%.
Most of the advice on this forum is about pack weight, and not volume. The alternative is to start by considering the volume of the pack you will need rather than a specific weight budget. For some time I have advocated the advice in sources like The Complete Walker IV, and had built myself a pack volume/weight calculator based on formula from this book. I am happy to say there is now a online version, albeit this does the calculation in imperial units, and you might want to convert the answer to metric units.
If you play around with the inputs, you will find that just changing from summer to spring/autumn results in an increase in the pack volume required by 25%, which is consistent with your observation that you pack weight is about 12% of your body mass.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If only life was so simple. Sorry to disagree but I am not convinced.

I'm sure pack weight may have an involvement but I doubt it's by any way the main cause. I did a 150km walk recently with a 17kg pack, about 20% bodyweight, (something I do regularly and rarely suffer blistered feet) including full camping kit, food, water and everything else. No blisters, not even a hotspot. I've seen people pull out of 10km races with badly raw feet when they've not been carrying any load at all. There are a million and one things that will lead to blisters.

Footwear choice I think is far more important and of all the people I saw with blisters on the Frances the vast majority were wearing heavy, stiff soled full leather hiking boots (and a lot looked very new). Maybe great for something like the Pennine Way or the West Highland Way but on what is primarily a low level trek on predominantly made paths boots like that are very hard on the feet.

I think you need to break your feet in to the boots and giving your feet some time to adapt, for the skin to harden in all the right places, is essential. I also think foot care is really under-rated as well. Keeping your feet dry on the walk, I think, is probably the best thing anyone can do to avoid blisters. If the climate is more than likely warm and dry then get the most breathable shoes/boots you can and socks that will wick. Bite the bullet on decent socks and be religious in changing them any time they feel damp. Don't wear everyday, supermarket type socks. Look after your feet at night. Let them breathe at every opportunity. Look after the nails. Don't overtighten laces. Be very careful if you add after-market insoles as the edges of some are great for causing rub points.

You need to look at yourself and your equipment holistically. Cutting your pack weight will not stop blisters with bad footwear or poor footcare. It might prolong it before something happens but it won't stop it. It's a whole package, everything needs to be right or nothing is right.

I am with @StuartM on this. Correlation does not imply causality. I would be looking for all the potential causes, starting with those closest to the problem. That doesn't mean that one should ignore the advice to keep pack weight down - that is sound, but not necessarily for the reasons given.

I agree on the footwear socks being equally important to shoes. I have shoes that will kill my feet after 2 km and some I can walk in comfortable for 50. I have shoes that kille my feet in no time wearing ordinary socks but will give me no hassle at all wearing proper hiking socks and be comfortable for all day tours. All this without carrying any weight whatsoever...

Might it be that people who didn't consider packweight didn't consider sensible shoes and socks either ? just a thought...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Start with brand new socks when you begin your Camino, I was using some high quality socks for a few months prior and they were trashed by the end.

I am not saying there are no other factors causing blisters and foot ailments. I am only using my observation as to the cause of majority of blisters encountered in my albergue. Of course other factors like proper footwears, correct and comfortable socks, balanced backpack, distance travelled, walking the camino as if it is a marathon, etc are important factors that may caused blisters and other foot ailments. I am a volunteer hospitalero in a 110 berth albergue with a 50 berth reserved, so i do see quite a numerous number of peregrinos.

When i started my long distance caminos, the first advice i received were wearing proper footwear and correct rucksack as being the most important considerations for the camino. Then i learned from the forum to keep the weight of your rucksack down to 10% of your body weight. By the time you add on water and provisions, you can add on up to another 3 kilos.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Blisters are caused by friction.

Friction is due to boots or shoes that don't fit right.

Heat is a problem when your feet are wet. So add sweaty or wet socks to the list. When your feet are wet and body heat warms them the effect is like cooking your foot slowly. The skin gets softer and toughened skin isn't as effective as when dry. Friction is more likely to cause problems when your feet are softened.

The causality of a heavy pack is due to boots that do not provide sufficient support. Thus the shape of your foot changes and your boots don't fit properly anymore. Further, your feet work harder increasing heat and sweat.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Starting to freak out about my Scarpa's being too heavy! http://www.kaczuszka.co.uk/shop/product/chemist-medicines/natural-soap/7107/

They did me well for lots of walking around cities last year, average about 5 or 6 hours a day, few problems when I first started to wear them, blisters on pinky toe and this was with wearing liner sock and smart wool, although it was a very warm November in Prague and Krakow last year.

Although I know they are probably a bit hi-tech for the Camino alot is on flat very repetative surface again I felt comfortable in them last year and hoping they will be my friend rather than foe along the way.

They've had a hard life so far, at 2 months old in one of the hostels I was staying in in Krakow someone decided it be a good idea to urinate into them.....at spending 150.00 pounds you can imagine my furious rage. I washed and washed them with a natural soap http://www.kaczuszka.co.uk/shop/product/chemist-medicines/natural-soap/7107/ on the advice of a Polish outdoor store. And the insides and soles and laces with shampoo. I returned them home to Scotland in March and they have been left the way they were. I will re waterproof them as soon as I get home so I can use them for a good month of walking before I go again.

On another review site someone has said they climbed Kilimanjaro and didn't get one blister.....wishful thinking, I know these boots are designed more for hill climbing than long walks. But I am hoping after my good couple months of use walking around cities last year gave me a feel of how they may respond to the Camino!

I had a pair of Scarpa boots years ago for hillwalking in Scotland. I think it would be a toss up between them and Meindls for my favourite boot. Brilliant boots but for long, hot days... I don't know. That said, a pair of boots you're used to and don't give any bother is worth double what a brand new pair of unknown boots is.

Urinating in them was a legendary way for recruits to soften army issue boots. I'm happy to never find out :)

I had a pair of Scarpa boots years ago for hillwalking in Scotland. I think it would be a toss up between them and Meindls for my favourite boot. Brilliant boots but for long, hot days... I don't know. That said, a pair of boots you're used to and don't give any bother is worth double what a brand new pair of unknown boots is.

Urinating in them was a legendary way for recruits to soften army issue boots. I'm happy to never find out :)

Now regretting going so mad at the young guy! Should have praised him for pissing on them!! :D

I am using them through out November/ealy December and I think the key will be keeping the feet dry. So that extra pair of socks will really be needed!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My Scarpa boots 6 month old, like slippers, saw me through without a single blister mind I did use 'gloves in a bottle' as a barrier cream each day liner socks and wool outer ones.

I've looked up the "Gloves in a Bottle", and although I don't doubt the results for all who have used it with satisfaction, it doesn't seem that revolutionary. It is available here in Canada all right, and one can order free samples, which is OK, if you want to try it. I was tempted to try it before I saw the list of ingredients, many of which were some form of alcohol....
And having read the "clinical studies" listed on their site, saw that said studies carried out by them, indicated only that there were no catastrophic outcomes.

Starting to freak out about my Scarpa's being too heavy!
I wore a pair of Scarpa Trek boots in 2010, and decided to change them for a pair of Asolo boots with a slightly softer sole in 2012. I have bought an new pair of the Scarpa Trek, but a larger size that doesn't bruise my toes the way the previous pair did. I don't know yet whether which of these I will wear next year, or whether I will choose to use my Scarpa trekking shoes.

The Treks have a very hard Vibram sole that doesn't have a lot of give, and if I don't replace the in-sole and use a heel pad, my heels can get bruised easily when I walk on roads and footpaths. In Apr/May 2010, I don't recall there being a significant issue with heat buildup, even on the days where the temperature was in the 30s (C). Other Scarpa boots have different sole compositions, and appear they will be somewhat more forgiving on pavement surfaces.

What will always be an issue with heavier footwear is that it takes slightly more effort, and your pace will be a bit slower when compared to those wearing lighter footwear. A US Army study in the late 1980s found
Adding loads to the foot in the form of dead weight or as an increase in the weight of the footwear results in the same relative change in energy expenditure: for each 0.1 kg added to the foot the increase in energy expenditure is 0.7 to 1.0%. This emphasizes that footwear should be as light as
possible consistent with durability requirements.

They did me well for lots of walking around cities last year, average about 5 or 6 hours a day, few problems when I first started to wear them, blisters on pinky toe and this was with wearing liner sock and smart wool, although it was a very warm November in Prague and Krakow last year.
If you already know where the boots are rubbing a little, prepare that area by taping it before you walk. I did this in 2012 to stop the rubbing caused by a bunion, and didn't blister at all in the 30 days walking on St Olav's Way. In 2010, I got a blister there within days, and was never able to completely clear it up until after I had finished walking the CF.

I wouldn't necessarily be spending more on new footwear now if your current boots are working well, and you can do a little foot preparation to address any minor issues. Better the devil you know etc.

Regards,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have used Gloves in a Bottle, and it works well. It is not greasy like my SportSlick. I still prefer the SportSlick. No blisters with either.

I am with StuartM on this one. Not to say too much weight might not be a contributing factor.

My prescription is:

Good well broken in hiking shoes with vibram soles.

Smartwool socks with or without liners.

Vaseline my feet after shower and in morning.

Treat hotspots asap.

By the way my pack is 9kg's. I weigh 90 kilo or 200lbs.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most of the advice on this forum is about pack weight, and not volume. The alternative is to start by considering the volume of the pack you will need rather than a specific weight budget. For some time I have advocated the advice in sources like The Complete Walker IV, and had built myself a pack volume/weight calculator based on formula from this book. I am happy to say there is now a online version, albeit this does the calculation in imperial units, and you might want to convert the answer to metric units.
If you play around with the inputs, you will find that just changing from summer to spring/autumn results in an increase in the pack volume required by 25%, which is consistent with your observation that you pack weight is about 12% of your body mass.
Thanks dougfitz! It just makes sense.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So for me, formula is simple:

1. Pack weight =<5 kg
2. Broken-in boots/shoes
3. Vaseline every a.m. and as needed
4. Comfortable non wrinkle socks
5. Sock changes throughout the day

OK? It's certainly worked for me for the past few thousand km.

What about the military? e.g quote from website.

" There is no-one to provide you with anything you have left behind! We carry our kit in a pack called a Bergen, which can weigh 35-45kg. As well as that, we have our weapons and ammunition to carry with us on exercise and on operations. We have to carry this over all types of terrain in conditions from the Arctic to the desert – often for up to 25km a day."

I'm not ex military, and can hardly lift 45kg, but can walk long distances (40km x 12 days) with in excess of 20% of my bodyweight.

I would suggest that we all have different weight carrying ability.

Military personnel have no choice in the load they carry and the distance they have to travel, I was in the military for many years and did not enjoy carrying 50% of my body weight myself.
On the Camino, you have the choice of how much or how little you want to carry and how far you feel like walking.
With what I know now, I'm getting a smaller pack and will carry even less than before.

For someone who weights approx 50 kls , 10% is difficult. With essentials mine weighs approx 7 kgs with some food and water. I' m presently walking the Le-Puy route and the only items I have not needed so far are a sun hat (it's raining) and my water bladder (small waterbottles ok). together weigh no more than 300 grams. My sleeping bag I've used 50/50.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think a lot is about the quality of preparation, understanding your own abilities, and knowing your limitations.

Tailor your pack weight, planned daily distance, and hours of walking according to what you KNOW, not what you think you are capable of.

Saving weight at the expense of essential kit could cause a serious problem in the event of hard weather.

I'd rather carry more than to be caught in a Pyrenean snowstorm with just a pair of shorts and T-shirt.

I think a lot is about the quality of preparation, understanding your own abilities, and knowing your limitations.

Tailor your pack weight, planned daily distance, and hours of walking according to what you KNOW, not what you think you are capable of.

Saving weight at the expense of essential kit could cause a serious problem in the event of hard weather.

I'd rather carry more than to be caught in a Pyrenean snowstorm with just a pair of shorts and T-shsirt.

i am just making notes of my observations having worked and is still working in my albergue in santiago at the end of the camino before finisterre. i am not doing a statistical survey.

i am not advocating to someone to save weight at the expense of essential kit. the information i have were from the whole month of june and the third part of august until now. i am not talking about a couple of kilos overweight. i am speaking of backpack weighting over 10 kilos with some have as much as 15 kilos. i do not think you can justify having so much weight during summer walking the camino at the expense of blisters and other foot ailments.

buen camino.

Last edited:
i am just making notes of my observations having worked and is still working in my albergue in santiago at the end of the camino before finisterre. i am not doing a statistical survey.

i am not advocating to someone to save weight at the expense of essential kit. the information i have were from the whole month of june and the third part of august until now. i am not talking about a couple of kilos overweight. i am speaking of backpack weighting over 10 kilos with some have as much as 15 kilos. i do not think you can justify having so much weight during summer walking the camino at the expense of blisters and other foot ailments.

buen camino.[/quote

I would be interested to know if more people get blisters who wear hiking boots or track shoes or if that doesn't actually make a difference.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would be interested to know if more people get blisters who wear hiking boots or track shoes or if that doesn't actually make a difference.
It would indeed be interesting to know what difference different factors make. Its hard to imagine that footwear makers don't test different materials and designs before bringing them onto the market. Has anyone seen them release this sort of information, and whether it includes information on whether particular designs are better or worse than others?

I am with StuartM on this one. Not to say too much weight might not be a contributing factor.

My prescription is:

Good well broken in hiking shoes with vibram soles.

Smartwool socks with or without liners.

Vaseline my feet after shower and in morning.

Treat hotspots asap.

By the way my pack is 9kg's. I weigh 90 kilo or 200lbs.

Ultreya,
Joe
Great advice!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Friction is due to boots or shoes that don't fit right.

Heat is a problem when your feet are wet. So add sweaty or wet socks to the list. When your feet are wet and body heat warms them the effect is like cooking your foot slowly. The skin gets softer and toughened skin isn't as effective as when dry. Friction is more likely to cause problems when your feet are softened...

This is why I stopped using compeed after a week. They leaked and moistened my foot, thus softening the skin and creating/causing hotspots on long stretches. If you've "hot feet" like me, keep them dry and resist the temptation to use compeed, vaseline or any other moisture on your feet. Get your feet toughened up before you leave and you'll fare better. You WILL encounter some minor discomforts (e.g. the part of your little toes that touch the side of the boot, or similarly your heels), but ordinary moleskins protect those areas just as well as anything else. KEEP DRY!

If you've "hot feet" like me, keep them dry ...Get your feet toughened up before you leave and you'll fare better... KEEP DRY!

I agree with this. I doubt that pack weight has much to do with blisters. Ill fitting footwear and dampness are more likely culprits. As for breaking in boots, this is something I have not found to be necessary these days because of the Gore-Tex linings most boots I have worn seem to have. Toughening feet seems to be an effective way (for me) of limiting blisters. I bought new boots from Decathon in Bilbao this year and had no trouble with them. They had Gore-Tex lining and my feet were well toughened from having already walked two months.

I'm reading this thread while I have dinner in Santiago de Compostela. I finished my Camino two days ago , it took 35 days from SJPdP and I had problems with blisters (seven at one point) which meant a rest day in Pamplona a night in Viana before Legrono and a lot of Compeed. I'm sure there can be many reasons for blisters but I'm convinced mine were the result of gravity and first, my ill considered exhilaration at having survived the climb up from SJPdP. I went down that goat track too fast, repeated the mistake going into Zubiri and small blisters were the result.

If I had advice to share it would be walk mindfully, especially on the very rough parts (and there are many of these); use Compeed, walkers wool and anything else you can preventively and when you stop, let your feet cool down and your socks dry out. It was also my impression that many people were racing along and suffering later.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I think that statement is a bit incomplete. Some blisters are caused by friction, but a lot of blisters are caused by pressure. This is the Catch 22 of shoes -- if your shoes/boots are too big, there will be friction and then there will be blisters. If your shoes/boots are too small, there will be pressure and then there will be blisters.

So, just like Goldilocks learned, they can't be too big or too small, they must be just right.

Blisters are like people, they are all different and all the same.

If you get blisters you have to think about WHY you got them and HOW. Once you know why & how you take the right steps to avoid them. Sometimes you can and others you can´t.

Buen Camino!

I think that statement is a bit incomplete. Some blisters are caused by friction, but a lot of blisters are caused by pressure. This is the Catch 22 of shoes -- if your shoes/boots are too big, there will be friction and then there will be blisters. If your shoes/boots are too small, there will be pressure and then there will be blisters.

So, just like Goldilocks learned, they can't be too big or too small, they must be just right.

Yes yes yes.
There is a path which I can reach from my home that takes me straight into the bush (forest for you Americans). Recently when I did not have a lot of time and knew I would walk only 12km, I decided to forgo wearing my liner socks, and just went with wool. The track is ever so slightly uphill on the way away from home (so slight it's unnoticeable), and I did not even think about my feet. Coming back was a different story. I was aware of my feet slipping in my shoes a bit so I stopped to tighten the laces, but could not get the same "fit" - there was still a small degree of friction and I could feel one hot spot developing by the time I returned home. Clearly with liner socks and wool, I have the Goldilocks fit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hydration is important to preventing blisters, so keep yourself hydrated throughout the day.
When buying foot wear, wait till the end of the day to buy them with the socks you'll be wearing, your feet will be swollen from being on your feet all day and that will be the true fit your feet need.

Hydration is important to preventing blisters, so keep yourself hydrated throughout the day.
When buying foot wear, wait till the end of the day to buy them with the socks you'll be wearing, your feet will be swollen from being on your feet all day and that will be the true fit your feet need.
Staying hydrated is good general advice, but I have never seen dehydration listed as a cause for blisters. What's the link?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting, but I think the context is important - this is advice for ultra-runners, not walking pilgrims. The clue is in this text:
Maintaining proper hydration helps reduce swelling of the feet, often common after hours of running, so the occurrence of hot spots and blisters is reduced.
If I understand this, good hydration improves the blood's ability to remove lymph fluid from the body, reducing any swelling from excess lymph fluid being retained (oedema). This link is saying that oedema may result in more friction points or hot spots, not something I have observed personally, not even on longer competitive walking (race walking or ultra marathon) events. Its a pretty long chain, and at the end of it, it still comes back to whether your footwear fits well after hours of walking.

No doubt keeping well hydrated is sound advice, but staying hydrated is not going to prevent blisters if you haven't done some of the basics of footwear fit, sock selection and skin toughening.

I am having a bit of a problem with my footwear, I got fitted last year for my scarpa's they did me brilliantly for walking around Tarmac, diet tracks and the odd hill for 6 months from Nov-May. Only slight problems with blisters and such like. When I was in Prague and Krakow was walking around 5-6 hours a day.

Back in Scotland now and started my pre walks before camino, only doing about 1.5hrs at a time with some quite thick smart wool socks. On day one developed a blister on my pinky, day 2 heels were on fire and felt my feet were burning.

Went to the shop I purchase them last year and when the guy took a look at my food he said they were too narrow for me and I'd been fitted wrong. As I say last year was ok and no problems with pain only slight blisters.

I am just wondering if it's more a case of my feet rebelling after only being in sandals all summer in Poland?

Don't want to have to fork out another ÂŁ150.00 for boots but at same one don't want to pull out camino due to ill fitting boots.

In the meantime he suggested I carried on doing few short 1-2 hour walks with thinner socks and they can stretch them for me.

As I say I for feel myself the boot fits wrong I am more struggling with my feet cooking and the blisters already creeping up....

Any advice? I leave on the 27th October .

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I cannot even imagine the avoidable misery that poorly fitting boots will cause you. The sandals may have changed your foot width leading to the boots being too narrow. Get boots that fit. It will be more important than anything else you will do in preparation. I suggest fitting the boots in the afternoon using the socks that you will be using. I suggest a liner sock of silk or polypropylene and a medium weight wool or wool-blend outer sock. Smart Wool is a good brand. When you go, you can take a pair of lighter wools socks, and a pair of thicker wool socks. If your foot changes size a bit, you can switch socks. Further, I recommend a foot lubricant. The most readily available is talc and Vaseline. I use SportSlick which has some silicone added to the Vaseline, and I have successfully used other silicone products that reduce friction. Check a local running store. Avoid moisturizers and foot powders with corn starch.

Good luck!

When I went back into the the shop it was around 7pm after being on my feet all day and having walked around 1.5 hrs in pouring rain. The guy did think it had something to do with my sandals over the summer.

He advised to stick it out this week and see how my feet feel get then stretched and try other socks. as I said I don't feel any pressure or that the boot is too tight more so just feet over heating.

thanks

I could also start wearing them every day while I am on my feet at work and see how I feel. I am working 3 weeks before I go and I am sure if I am on my feet for 8 hours and then walking for 2 I will get a good feel if I will suffer any pain on my foot.

Already have the smart wool socks but I just wonder if they are too thick perhaps next one down I think I have the hiker ones.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you gain weight since you bought the boots? Gaining or losing weight can cause a person to change sizes.

Interesting You shoukd say that! Yes with living in Poland the past year I put on just over a stone from the time I bought the boots.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can, yes, so keep it in mind. However, I have been an 11 1/2A my entire adult life, fat or not.
I can remember many years ago ignoring a podiatrist's advice that my feet would benefit from wearing boots a size larger and wider than I was doing. Since I increased the amount of longer distance walking I do about 15 years ago, I have gradually needed to buy both longer and wider footwear to get a comfortable fit. My street shoes are now a metric size larger than they were, and boots now a couple of sizes.

I don't see much affect from weight gain or loss. Most of that seems to take place elsewhere:(

I could also start wearing them every day while I am on my feet at work and see how I feel. I am working 3 weeks before I go and I am sure if I am on my feet for 8 hours and then walking for 2 I will get a good feel if I will suffer any pain on my foot.

Already have the smart wool socks but I just wonder if they are too thick perhaps next one down I think I have the hiker ones.
My sympathy for your problem. I have found that I now need a size larger boot than previously. I can still wear my older boots if I change my sock combination. If you are wearing thick socks then changing to two thin pairs might help, or 1 ultra thin and a pair of lighter cushion soles of you need the cushioning. Personally I need cushion soled socks, but use them with very thin liners. In the 'correct' size boots I can wear my usual thick, thin and liner combination and get no friction/blisters, or sore soles etc. Socks are Corrymoor Companion and Sportsman (short lengths) and Rohan Inner and Hot wicking liners. Boots are Hi-Tec - (I found the Gri-sport to hot although OK for winter walking). All available in or UK based.

Walked from SJPP to Molinaseca = 558 km = 0 blisters!
Sock liners or no liners, need to get a comfortable good pair of hiking shoes and walk with them day and night and get them mold to your feet. Start adding socks that you would wear for medium- heavy hikes, they are expensive and you can buy them at a reputable camping, hiking supply store. Wool or synthetic, both are good. Not cotton as it will retain moisture. I had no problem with synthetic since I am allergic to wool and didn't want to take any chances. So my synthetic expensive socks worked fine, and they dry faster than wool too. But its a comfort thing as wool keeps moisture away but takes time to dry. So its a person choice.
I showered as soon as I got to my destination and washed my clothes and socks so they will dry by next morning. I kept a lighter pair for dinner and walking around town with my Keen if there was any time in the evening. Not the same kind as the one you walk with on the Camino but something easy. But the key is to keep your feet dry as aired as much as possible when you had time after walking.
*Always shower after your walk, never before the walk.
Vasaline your feet and take care of your feet. Trim you toe nails as long nails will start hitting the front part of the shoe after a while. Keep them trimmed.
Always wear a clean pair of socks the day of the walking, plus an extra pair of clean socks if you feet gets hot and sweaty change them right away, you'll avoid blisters.
True about heavy packs, they put more strain on your feet - so know your limit, 10% of your body weight is the rule of thumb so practice with it around town for 6 hours not just 2 hours, do this for few days to see how your body and feet behaves.
I met so many people on the Camino saying they saw the movie, the Way and feel in love the Romance of the Camino and didn't do much research and suffered a lot and had to take a bus to Burgos, Leon etc.
Like Bob Marley said "my feet is my only carriage, so I've got to push on through" so take good care of them, your Camino experience will greatly depend on it.

Thank you travel diva for the advice given to new peregrinos walking the camino.

Advice given to me on my first camino at the sports shop is to get a good pair of hiking boots to be followed by a good rucksack. Next consideration from experience as witnessed in my albergue in santiago is to keep the weight of your rucksack down to 10% of your body weights.

Congratulations on your camino, you are almost there.

Good luck and god bless.

Last edited:
Update on my boots, I've now been wearing them for 5 days for about 9 hours at a time, while I am on my feet. No problems with pressure at the sides of my feet where the store said they were too narrow for me.

I feel it was more a adjusting back to boots after being in sandals all summer.

I've done some more walks in them and they feel much better.

I was angry because it was Cotswold who fitted me last year and now telling me they are wrong fit, but I was fine with them the 6 months I wore them almost daily last winter??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The thing abot staff in various stores is that they usually have no idea that the camino is mostly paved og very evenhich gravel paths and will mostly recommend boots for hiking off trail whic causes a lot of grief for pilgrims, best thing to do when fitted is to say that one is just going for a really long walk on a nice even stretch of path, nothing more and even then, they are all taught that boots are better because they werent taght fitting for the Camino. If you go to a store and say you want to walk around your neighbourhood as exersice i doubt they would give you boots

Shoe size good, but left foot very tender. I would appreciate input on this ......I just have reintroduced orthotics to my feet, and have begun anti inflamation therapy. The outside egde of my left foot feels like te has been badly bruised. I have soaked in Epson salts, and used Arnica gel with some relief, but still am unable to train. I was logging at least 10 miles daily, shooting for 15 before May 6 departure date for first camino. Anyone have any ideas for me to try so I can get back to training, my body is crying for the exercize right now. Thanks to all.

I saw more misery on the trail from heavy packs, it was awful, tears, heartache, feelings of failure when feet and knees were ruined. It was so sad. All because of heavy packs, and feeling the need for so much stuff.

So, I'm offering a list of things NOT to take. I carried only about 7 pounds (3kg) on the CF through Sept-Oct, had no blisters or other problems (By Grace)

This is if you would like a stripped down, lightweight, unburdened, injury free trip.
Just offering my two cents:

No more than one change of clothes
No towel (you can use a shirt or a shawl or anything like that to dry off)
No washrag
No hygiene products like: shampoo bottles, deodorant etc. All you really need is a bar of shampoo soap. If you are a woman, forget razors, I mean, who cares?
No books or computers or cameras or kindles or ipads. Some albergues have books you can read...but it's nice to just not worry about it. Other people will take lots of pics, and email them to you if you like.
No vitamins or aspirin or supplements. You'll be fine on the road diet.
No big coat or sweater. You'll get used to the cold, if it is. It's not that big of a deal.

All that was on me or in my pack (about 7 lbs, or 3 kg):
socks (2 silk undersocks, 2 smart wool outersocks
hiking shoes (1 size too big)
1 pound light down sleeping bag
1 Royal Robin all weather skirt
1 shawl for evening
1 pair of leggings
1 lightweight raincoat
1 sunhat
1 lightweight coat
1 pair of really really lightweight rubbery shoes for evening
2 tee shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt
1 bra
1 light durable wool vest
1 tiny toothbrush and tooth powder
1 bar of shampoo soap
Earplugs
A map of the road
water bottle
Passport and $

That was it. It's easier than one thinks! When you crave something you don't have, just wait a minute, let it go, the craving will pass, and you will be fine. Rinse stuff every 3rd night or so.

Peace Pilgrim traveled over 25,000 miles with the clothes on her back!!! just a comb and pencil in her pocket. :) I'm not quite there...but I guess someday I'd like to be :)

A lovin Buen Camino to all you wonderful people!!!

But.... but..... I'd rather go without food than not have something to read! :(
I'm with you Kiwi-d. A smartphone is the answer, with a Kindle App on it. That way you can carry a library of 1000 books. In the days before Kindles or smartphones I carried real books (or my husband did) swopping them with other pilgrims if I could. The weight was always a problem. Without books I start chewing my palms and reading clothes labels.

Yes yes yes.
There is a path which I can reach from my home that takes me straight into the bush (forest for you Americans). Recently when I did not have a lot of time and knew I would walk only 12km, I decided to forgo wearing my liner socks, and just went with wool. The track is ever so slightly uphill on the way away from home (so slight it's unnoticeable), and I did not even think about my feet. Coming back was a different story. I was aware of my feet slipping in my shoes a bit so I stopped to tighten the laces, but could not get the same "fit" - there was still a small degree of friction and I could feel one hot spot developing by the time I returned home. Clearly with liner socks and wool, I have the Goldilocks fit.
I'm curious about what liner socks you wear and if you sourced them in NZ. I have size 5/7.5 feet and I find the smallest Thurlos just a tad big which is fine for a weekend tramp but I wonder about using liners to get a smoother fit.
Thanks
Mary

I'm curious about what liner socks you wear and if you sourced them in NZ. I have size 5/7.5 feet and I find the smallest Thurlos just a tad big which is fine for a weekend tramp but I wonder about using liners to get a smoother fit.
Thanks
Mary
We wear injinji toe socks - the sports series lightweight ones.

http://www.outwear.co.nz/index.php/...mart_category_id,67/virtuemart_product_id,587

Sourced from OutWear Ltd. Currently on sale for $15. Arrived by courier a day after ordering.
My nearly-8-year-0ld and 9-year-old are wearing size small and walked 20km today with no trouble. They look a tiny bit big, but they did not move on their feet. 11yo and 13yo are in medium - and so am I (usually EU40 in shoes, but wearing larger for walking)

But.... but..... I'd rather go without food than not have something to read! :(

Oh don't i know it....tote agree. I love me some books. Books were hard to give up. I did run into a couple awesome books I'd never ever have chosen or even known about in various albergues, however... and ya know, I was feelin mighty envious of those folks packin a light weight kindle with like 50 full length novels on it. Brilliant. Still, if less is more, less it must be.

Thanks
Mary

REI sells pure silk liner socks. Incredibly great. just amazin. Blister free awesomeness, tote breathable and sooper dooper. For men or women.

http://www.rei.com/product/627663/rei-silk-one-liner-socks

ah, not pure silk, I'm reading now. Got some nylon and lycra...but mostly silk

Thanks folks. I bought a pair of kathmandu merino liner socks (which I'll wear to work every day anyway). I tried them out walking today and I thought they made a big difference - not to mention not soaking the outer sock with sweat. I followed up Rachael's weblink and was surprised to see toe socks as liners and such good feedback. How come toe socks don't chafe between toes?

I tried to stay away from this topic….., but – here I am, so I may as well toss in a penny or two.

I see absolutely no correlation between pack weight and blisters, but rather a penchant for viewing a pilgrim’s backpack as the root of all-evil, based off one’s own design of Camino’s right and wrongs. Leave peoples packs and gear, hi-tech, plugged-in or quill and parchment alone.

In regards to carrying weight, I have some experience in this, as I spent 25-years of my life as an infantry soldier. My back and knees still ache at the mere mention of carry such loads. However, besides having tired and sore feet at the end of a long march, blisters were only a discussion for those who had poorly fitting boots.

Which ties into the next issue. Whether you wear boots, shoes or sandals, has little bearing other than the primary question – do they fit you properly and did you take the time to break them in?
The idea is to present those who are new to trekking, whether on the Camino or elsewhere, clarity, vice confusion. And in essence, the key word above all others is “Comfort”.

Choose footwear, which is right for you, and ensure you learn and more importantly apply proper foot hygiene/care to your daily regime. These two-factors alone will have your feet singing your praise.
Certainly, listen to all advice, try different methods, keep what works and discard what doesn’t work for you. As an example, I can’t wear a thin liner sock as it makes my feet too hot and creates hot zones for me. However, I have many friends who swear by this method. We’re all individuals; find what works best for you.

As for weight and backpacks. I implore you to stop focusing so much on weight, and focus more on fit and comfort. Weight can be managed, discomfort however, is a miserable companion.

Again, we need to bear in mind the vast variances in people and focus more on what kit fits us as individuals. As an example, I can purchase the same brand and style of clothing as another person, yet simply based on size differences, when our kit is weighed, mine can be two or more kilograms heavier. Someone who is 6-foot 2 is going to have heavier pants than someone does at 5-foot 4. Now multiply that for each piece of kit, and that’s life on the Camino.

And I’m no different than anyone else, as this forum has driven me into several manic debates on weight, and that’s just between me and I, when out buying kit. It’s the nature of the beast and one must learn to navigate these paths in a practical manner.

As recent as several days ago, I tossed my Osprey Kestrel 48 backpack into the closet and bought a new Gregory Baltoro 65. OMG, that’s an additional 1kg. However, I could easily carry additional weight if I had to, and it wouldn’t matter, as the weight distribution, comfort and shoulder harnesses provide me with the fit and support I need. Now I realise that some are cringing at such a pack size, but the reality is comfort, support and my requirements. My total weight is easily only 10-percent of my body weight. Could I use a smaller pack, perhaps, but I sure as hell would not get the same benefits or comfort as this provides for my body – and that’s the whole point. We have different needs, different body’s and use our packs different. A smaller pack in my case would be impractical and uncomfortable. So before you judge me on the size of my pack, ask me how my Camino’s going…. and I’m sure a smile, will be your answer.

Anyway, I suggest anyone looking to buy kit to review the many kit list provided, account for the season you’re walking, and draft a list based off your specific needs. When purchasing items, try to focus on comfort, proper sizing and quick drying is always a benefit. At the end of the day, the weight you have is what you have – and again, this can be manipulated to some degree, as long as you first focus on the essential items you’ll require. Any extras, i.e. phones, camera’s kindles, spare kit, shoes etc… is solely up to you.

And that’s the entire weight of my blistering opinion.

Thanks David for the blister/pack weight opinion. I have to admit I have pondered the physics and biomechanics of that myself.

It even occurred to me that a heavier pack might keep you stuck in your shoes better..thus less friction and fewer blisters. Lol??

Not saying anything one way or another, just that I see, and blisters and comfort overall have many facets. Maybe even to be able to handle more weight mentally if what you have is important to you. Mental aspect is a huge part of handling any physical demand

That's it. Putting back the soap and guidebooks, lest I get resentful at being guilted into leaving them. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will add only one more suggestion: whatever you decide to carry, take your pack (fully packed with your gear) on several long walks before you leave for the Camino. You will be grateful you did. I know it's an obvious suggestion, but with the excitement of getting everything together and getting to Spain, it's easy task to not follow through on.

Buen Camino, Maggie
http://botasrojasenelcamino.blogspot.com/
Camino Frances and Finesterra Fall 2013

David is absolutely right on the issue of one size does NOT fit all! And nowhere is this more important than packs and particularly footwear. Ignore the evangelists. What suits you? I now just take my ordinary joggers. John Hillaby, that amazing long distance walker, wore Dunlop Volleys. My husband wears Jacoforms - casual leather shoes. Cliff Young, who won the inaugural Sydney to Melbourne ultra marathon of 875 km in 5 days at age 61 (amazing story) trained in gumboots and ran the race on the road in cheap sand-shoes. A soldier friend swears by heavy leather boots with no socks at all. Each pair of feet and body are unique.

People seem to think they must go out and buy something new and unproven. Expensive new specialist boots/shoes are no guarantee of comfort - sometimes the opposite. Why not seriously consider taking the shoes you already have?

I saw more misery on the trail from heavy packs, it was awful, tears, heartache, feelings of failure when feet and knees were ruined. It was so sad. All because of heavy packs, and feeling the need for so much stuff.

So, I'm offering a list of things NOT to take. I carried only about 7 pounds (3kg) on the CF through Sept-Oct, had no blisters or other problems (By Grace)

This is if you would like a stripped down, lightweight, unburdened, injury free trip.
Just offering my two cents:

A lovin Buen Camino to all you wonderful people!!!

Wow! You're my hero!
No jacket in September, October?
No poncho or rain gear?
I'm impressed!

€46,-
I tried to stay away from this topic….., but – here I am, so I may as well toss in a penny or two.

I see absolutely no correlation between pack weight and blisters, but rather a penchant for viewing a pilgrim’s backpack as the root of all-evil, based off one’s own design of Camino’s right and wrongs. Leave peoples packs and gear, hi-tech, plugged-in or quill and parchment alone.

In regards to carrying weight, I have some experience in this, as I spent 25-years of my life as an infantry soldier. My back and knees still ache at the mere mention of carry such loads. However, besides having tired and sore feet at the end of a long march, blisters were only a discussion for those who had poorly fitting boots.

Which ties into the next issue. Whether you wear boots, shoes or sandals, has little bearing other than the primary question – do they fit you properly and did you take the time to break them in?
The idea is to present those who are new to trekking, whether on the Camino or elsewhere, clarity, vice confusion. And in essence, the key word above all others is “Comfort”.

Choose footwear, which is right for you, and ensure you learn and more importantly apply proper foot hygiene/care to your daily regime. These two-factors alone will have your feet singing your praise.
Certainly, listen to all advice, try different methods, keep what works and discard what doesn’t work for you. As an example, I can’t wear a thin liner sock as it makes my feet too hot and creates hot zones for me. However, I have many friends who swear by this method. We’re all individuals; find what works best for you.

As for weight and backpacks. I implore you to stop focusing so much on weight, and focus more on fit and comfort. Weight can be managed, discomfort however, is a miserable companion.

Again, we need to bear in mind the vast variances in people and focus more on what kit fits us as individuals. As an example, I can purchase the same brand and style of clothing as another person, yet simply based on size differences, when our kit is weighed, mine can be two or more kilograms heavier. Someone who is 6-foot 2 is going to have heavier pants than someone does at 5-foot 4. Now multiply that for each piece of kit, and that’s life on the Camino.

And I’m no different than anyone else, as this forum has driven me into several manic debates on weight, and that’s just between me and I, when out buying kit. It’s the nature of the beast and one must learn to navigate these paths in a practical manner.

As recent as several days ago, I tossed my Osprey Kestrel 48 backpack into the closet and bought a new Gregory Baltoro 65. OMG, that’s an additional 1kg. However, I could easily carry additional weight if I had to, and it wouldn’t matter, as the weight distribution, comfort and shoulder harnesses provide me with the fit and support I need. Now I realise that some are cringing at such a pack size, but the reality is comfort, support and my requirements. My total weight is easily only 10-percent of my body weight. Could I use a smaller pack, perhaps, but I sure as hell would not get the same benefits or comfort as this provides for my body – and that’s the whole point. We have different needs, different body’s and use our packs different. A smaller pack in my case would be impractical and uncomfortable. So before you judge me on the size of my pack, ask me how my Camino’s going…. and I’m sure a smile, will be your answer.

Anyway, I suggest anyone looking to buy kit to review the many kit list provided, account for the season you’re walking, and draft a list based off your specific needs. When purchasing items, try to focus on comfort, proper sizing and quick drying is always a benefit. At the end of the day, the weight you have is what you have – and again, this can be manipulated to some degree, as long as you first focus on the essential items you’ll require. Any extras, i.e. phones, camera’s kindles, spare kit, shoes etc… is solely up to you.

And that’s the entire weight of my blistering opinion.

I agree with David, that is almost, there may a few people who pack the hair drier, the travelling iron, and the coffee maker and they deserve to suffer. We have now got to the stage where people are suggesting cutting the labels off their gear to save weight. I have said before, on other threads, the most important thing is to be safe! I have carried a survival bag, and hard weather gear for thousands of miles and never once had to use the most of it. Will I take it on the camino? Damn right I will!

Starting to freak out about my Scarpa's being too heavy! http://www.kaczuszka.co.uk/shop/product/chemist-medicines/natural-soap/7107/

Although I know they are probably a bit hi-tech for the Camino alot is on flat very repetative surface again I felt comfortable in them last year and hoping they will be my friend rather than foe along the way.

They've had a hard life so far, at 2 months old in one of the hostels I was staying in in Krakow someone decided it be a good idea to urinate into them.....at spending 150.00 pounds you can imagine my furious rage. I washed and washed them with a natural soap http://www.kaczuszka.co.uk/shop/product/chemist-medicines/natural-soap/7107/ on the advice of a Polish outdoor store. And the insides and soles and laces with shampoo. I returned them home to Scotland in March and they have been left the way they were. I will re waterproof them as soon as I get home so I can use them for a good month of walking before I go again.

On another review site someone has said they climbed Kilimanjaro and didn't get one blister.....wishful thinking, I know these boots are designed more for hill climbing than long walks. But I am hoping after my good couple months of use walking around cities last year gave me a feel of how they may respond to the Camino!

Feet are so different! Years ago I tried Scarpas and they were fantastic quality, but the moment I started wearing a pack and going longer distances I discovered they were too narrow for my feet.
I then went back for a proper fitting and got Meindls. They are just right for my wide feet. I'd go with the well broken in comfortable fitting shoes unless you have plenty of time to try out something different.

From what I have seen, on the Camino and on other walking routes - those that have blisters and/or other "new physical" problems generally have them as they did not listen to what their bodies told them.

I believe that we can carry a lot more than 10% of our bodyweight - but, if you've never done it/not done it for a long time, it will take some getting used to.

If it's raining/you are cold/in the walking "zone" and feel that your shoulder/hip/... (insert whatever you want) hurt, then decide to ignore it as it's only 1 more hour to go... It's just 3km more... It's just 6km more: - you are likely to encounter problems.

Off course blisters and other ailments can be caused by ill fitting shoes, backpack, wet socks etc etc, but if you feel your foot hurting, then decide to press on, and then decide to keep going the next day - isn't that when the blister change from being a minor ailment to becoming debilitating?

I think if people were as kind to themselves, as they are to others along the route many of the worst "blister cases" would be avoided.

If you have X amount of weeks to complete, then find it hard going after 7-10 days, take a couple of slow days, or zero days. This is counter intuitive for some, as they think they will be behind, have to catch up. I think you're worse off if you run yourself into the ground. However, if give yourself the opportunity to let body and mind have a break, I think most will find that you become stronger as the days and weeks progress. Doing an extra 5km in your 1st week/s is likely to be really, really hard. By week 3 or 4 it is totally doable for many, and without the negative consequences.

The Camino provides... Including kindness to yourself

Well, Blisters are the most common problem with feet when hiking, but there are other concerns as well. Impacting hard, rough terrain for miles on end is hard on feet. Just plain old tired out, sore, aching feet can make the end of a hike pretty miserable. Our feet take a lot of punishment while hiking and an urban or sedentary body will feel that punishment much more than someone who has conditioned his feet to the work.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.