• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Major heat warning for this weekend

natefaith

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2014, 2017
Hi everyone,
There's a serious heat wave coming to the Iberian Peninsula (and much of Western Europe) this weekend, starting on Wednesday/ Thursday. Temperatures will reach 100ºF/ 37ºC here in Santiago, and will be a variety of just plain hot out on the trail. Please be very careful while you're walking, start early, stay hydrated, and get to cool places when you can.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...angerous-heat-wave-to-western-europe/70005642

Buen Camino,
Faith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Heat waves are serious business!
My husband is a strong, well trained army dude and he had a heat stroke during our camino in 2015 after a hot day towards Cebreiro (he did not noticed he was getting dehydrated). He was pale and almost fainting and we needed a lot of help in Triacastela, besides a forced rest day.
So yeah, even the big blokes can be affected. Please stay hydrated, wear a hat and do not push youselves!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you don't have an umbrella with you (which you most probably haven't ), buy one. It DOES make a difference! And walk shorter days, only in the early morning.

Absolutely! Buy an umbrella! You won't believe the difference it makes as a sun parasol - but buy a long handled one or your arm will be up in the air all the time!

As for the heat, is ok, pack light, walk relaxed, hydrate - and it is really important to hydrate at night, allows your body to re-balance itself whilst you sleep. Don't drink lots of de-hydrating alcohol in the evenings! Take Dyoralite sachets daily. Walk from dawn until just after noon and then siesta!

All will be well - but if you find you are feeling weak or dizzy ... then stop!!!

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Absolutely! Buy an umbrella! You won't believe the difference it makes as a sun parasol
Especially the kind with silver reflective fabric on the top. It makes a big difference.

Edit:
This from El Pais:
The heat wave will begin in the southwest of the peninsula and extend throughout the rest of the territory until Sunday at least.

The regions worst hit by the heat will be Extremadura, Castilla La-Mancha, Andalusia, Madrid, the Levante area, the Ebro Valley and the Balearic Islands, Del Campo told the EFE news agency. Only the Canary Islands and parts of northern Spain are expected to be spared.
And the official map...red is cooler than pink...

Attachments

• IMG_8828.JPG
    IMG_8828.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    702.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Warning for the lower half of the Charente Maritime and the Landes. Just in case you haven't already checked, the weather is forecast to reach 38C during the day for the next 10 days. It will feel considerably warmer, especially when following roads or in the pine forests. Please, please take care. A wet towel around the neck can be helpful if you must walk. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes...! It is very hot on the Camino Frances... my daughter and I are walking from Ponferrada. The hike to Villafranca del Berzoi was horrendous at a modest 31C and was hard going... we finished our 3L water supply (constantly refilling along the way!) jz as we got into Villafranca!.... From Los Herieres to O Cebreiro was cooler and even enjoyable .... as was a short hike.... it’s gonna be at least 39C today!

Last edited:
Yes...! It is very hot on the Camino Frances... my daughter and I are walking from Ponferrada. The hike to Villafranca del Berzoi was horrendous at a modest 31C and was hard going... we finished our 3L water supply jz as we got into Villafranca!.... From Los Herieres to O Cebreiro was cooler and even enjoyable .... as was a short hike.... it’s gonna be at least 39C today!
Enjoy!
I had this (and higher) on Levante without any shade in 2015 for two weeks. You can do it, smart :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are in Arzúa tonight and the temperature has been great - 27C in the day and 18C this evening (almost needed a cardigan whilst outside!) Let’s hope the weather continues to be kind.... weather appears cloudy tomorrow, (or rather today, as it’s almost 0200 now) maximum 23C - should be great for walking to O Pedrouzo!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back