• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Makeshift privacy for lower bunks

Time of past OR future Camino
I saw 2 people recently post about also using towels to create a little privacy. I always bring 2 scarves that weigh almost nothing. Then if I'm on a lower bunk, I tuck one edge under the mattress next to the head end of the bunk, on both sides. This helps create a little bit of privacy,
With the recent post 1 just saw, I can use my ultralight towel in place of one of the scarfs, if desired.
I love seeing all of the tips that show up on this website!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I take a sarong as sunshade on the walk, bunk curtain, towel, and extra layer if needed. I'm sure it was the camino that inspired that great saying in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: 'there's a frood who really knows where his towel is.'

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a lightweight blanket that I've used to cover the whole side of the bed. That depends on of course, if it's needed on not to be used as a blanket on my sleeping bag liner which had usually been warm enough.

Yes - double purpose items whenever you can! On my first Camino - I ended up using my towel as a blanket. Sometimes I used it for privacy on my bunk - but moreso to simply block light from shining on me (i.e. if my bunk was located where opening the door would mean light in my face. This summer I am doing the Via Francigena and bringing a bivy and sleeping pad for when I will camp. That means my weight is higher than on the Camino, so I am looking to save weight elsewhere. I saw this "wrap" thing on facebook and bought it - it finally arrived and I realized it is perfect to use on my VF. It can be worn as a waist wrap or a dress/wrap - perfect for sitting by a pool (the campgrounds have pools), can be used for ground cover, and can be used as a towel. Bonus - it is 100 grams lighter than the towel I brought last year. I was skeptical when I bought it - but it works/fits perfectly for me ( I am a small-medium build)

I saw this "wrap" thing on facebook and bought it - it finally arrived and I realized it is perfect to use on my VF. It can be worn as a waist wrap or a dress/wrap - perfect for sitting by a pool (the campgrounds have pools), can be used for ground cover, and can be used as a towel. Bonus - it is 100 grams lighter than the towel I brought last year. I was skeptical when I bought it - but it works/fits perfectly for me ( I am a small-medium build)
hi Jeanineonthecamino, would you mind sharing where did you buy the wrap and its name/reference? this sounds very interesting.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am going to bring my long sarong for multipurpose. They are pretty cheap in touristy Beach stores here in Florida. 15$ or so. Amazon has the for about 20$

I use a stretchy travel clothesline and stretch it across and hang my towel and clothes to give myself privacy. By the way, I take large safety pins instead of clothespins. Lighter and less chance of the clothes blowing or walking away.

I saw 2 people recently post about also using towels to create a little privacy. I always bring 2 scarves that weigh almost nothing. Then if I'm on a lower bunk, I tuck one edge under the mattress next to the head end of the bunk, on both sides. This helps create a little bit of privacy,
With the recent post 1 just saw, I can use my ultralight towel in place of one of the scarfs, if desired.
I love seeing all of the tips that show up on this website!!
Hola

During a winter Camino many years ago we used blankets, hanging from the upper bunk, all around the lower bunk so it became a little tent.
Your body heat will make that little area quit warm and when there only are 5-8 people at the albergues there are plenty of lower beds and blankets.
Or at least there used to be.
I heard that after the pandemic some places has removed the blankets due to the risk of contamination.
It will probably go back to how it used to be, as a lot of people depend on blankets.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.