A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Making a deposit for a room

Camino(s) past & future
I have walked from SJPP to Burgos in 2017
Will begin Burgos to Compostela in May of 2018
I was asked if I could make a deposit for two rooms that I reserved. I got a BIC number along with other info, but I have never done this before and I'm in California. I usually use booking.com, but I also use the Leslie Gilmour guide and some of the hotels/hostals don't have a website, so I email them. Has anyone out there ever had to do this before? This is new to me and they are asking for a 25% deposit, but said it's not mandatory. I don't want to lose my reservations if we get there late in the evening.
Thank you for your help!

Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
bookings.com asked for your credit card information and if you do not cancel within 24 hours or end up a no show you are charged for the night. I guess this is similar but I have never heard of it. Most place on the Camino are 8 to 12 euros and if you show up by 1 or 2 in the afternoon you are pretty much guaranteed a bed. Most pilgrims do not walk on the Camino late in the evening.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
I have just made a couple of bookings.
One didn't require anything.
Another required a credit a card to secure the booking. No drama.
I would happily have paid in advance to secure the room as I wanted this specif place where availability is very limited..

Lots of people book and don't turn up.........
There are always 2 sides ;)

Last edited:

bmcbride

CVRambler
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014), Camino Inca (2015), Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre (2018)
I was asked, a few times, to confirm my reservation (anywhere from 1 day to 1 week ahead) by email or phone. I never had to send a deposit.

Camino(s) past & future
I have walked from SJPP to Burgos in 2017
Will begin Burgos to Compostela in May of 2018

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
I was asked if I could make a deposit for two rooms that I reserved. I got a BIC number along with other info, but I have never done this before and I'm in California. I usually use booking.com, but I also use the Leslie Gilmour guide and some of the hotels/hostals don't have a website, so I email them. Has anyone out there ever had to do this before? This is new to me and they are asking for a 25% deposit, but said it's not mandatory. I don't want to lose my reservations if we get there late in the evening.
Thank you for your help!
I have been asked for a deposit when booking privately. When I looked into the bank fees to send a few dollars from New Zealand to France the charges were absurd for both parties. I explained this to the host and he was happy to waive request as long as I confirmed a couple of days before.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%