• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making my Camino Frances in July?...

Mysticfalls

Hello everyone!

I want to start my Camino in the very end of coming June, but I am a little afraid of this whole high season thing. So I would really love to hear some experiences of people who traveled this summer. I mean what do I do if I come to albergue and there is no more place for me? Does it happen? Going during the night is not a solution for me because I will be a girl traveling alone :D I would prefer going some other time when there is not so many people, but I'm a student, and I only have time during my summer vacations...

I would really appreciate if someone would share their opinion and experience! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its nerve wracking, huh! Exciting, but all those unknowns give you butterflies!
The real high season is in August, when the colleges, schools and factories are closed.
Many albergues have mattresses for pilgrims who arrive when the place is full. If a place is full you can usually find a room somewhere, you'll just have to pay a little extra. You won't be alone in looking for a bed so could share with other pilgrims looking for a place to stay. If you take your cell phone you could phone ahead and book a bed in a private albergue. These are pretty much the same as any other albergue - dormitory rooms, shared ablutions etc, - but they do allow bookings in advance.
You'll be fine - just accept it all as it comes.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Keep in mind that you cannot have it all -- start late, walk all day, finish late, take lots of breaks, find a bottom bunk in the albergue you planned, stay up late, etc. Choices will have consequences. A late start means walking in the heat of the day. Walking past 3 p.m. means the beds are filling up. Arrive at a destination at 6 p.m., and even the bicyclists will be taking beds, and you may have to walk on. Health departments and fire code enforcement both reduce the number of extra beds that places can now offer after they have filled their official accommodations. There is a long-standing tradition of accommodating pilgrims, but the modern world has impacted some practices. After the first albergue fire where pilgrims cannot make it to an exit, the practice of adding mattresses to the floor will end. It is mostly a matter of "when," not "if." Tragedy seems to be just around the corner everywhere. At the moment, many places still will expand to fit the crowd, and most will allow outdoor sleeping on the available ground. Pilgrims consistently report that they always find a bed. Then the story comes along of a pilgrim who cannot find a bed for days in a row, typically in the last 100 km. Be optimistic, but also be realistic. Adjust your expectations and your actions and you will have a great time!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back