• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making my own credencial?

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I will be walking the Camino del Norte starting in May. I am thinking of making my own credencial. Will albergues accept this as proof that I am a "genuin pilgrim"? (If it will be accepted in Santiago to get a Compostella for me is not very important)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that you need an official credential.

A different issue is if, on top of the official credential, you want the albergues to stamp your own. I assume they won't have any problems stamping both of them, but I think the official one is mandatory.

I have walked many routes with custom-made credentials and they have always been a source of fascination to the hospitaleros who gave them a second look - most didn’t and just stamped them. I included the same info as the ‘real’ ones and designed the covers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was thinking .... How the hospitalero knows if it is an official credential???

With so many different models (I saw one in Chinesse) I think that it is almost impossible that every hospitalero knows every model of credential!! LOL

I think I change my vote for Yeah, you can use your own credential .... anyhow, just in case, I would take also an official one.

I walked with official and home-made credenciales and never had a problem sleeping in albergues or getting a stamp. I walked norte in 2016 with a home-made credencial. I also design the info page with all the info that is in the official credencial.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Same for me, I also used official credenciales and self-made ones. Never had a problem. It's only mandatory if you want to have a compostela.

From the Pilgrim's Office website regarding the Credencial:

The official Credencial and others recognised by the Cathedral of Santiago are printed on cardboard and consist of sixteen concertina-folded pages. The first pages are illustrated in the photo accompanying the text. The first page is like a cover letter and should be completed at the place of issue with the Pilgrim’s data. There is also a space at the top for the seal of the place that issues the Credencial; at the bottom of the same page, the date and the Cathedral’s stamp will be placed after completing the pilgrimage.

The second page of the Credencial is dedicated to clarifying instructions, which reads:

Necessary considerations
  • This Credencial is only for pilgrims on foot, bicycle or horseback, who wish to make the pilgrimage with a Christian sentiment, even if it is only with an attitude of search. The Credencial has the purpose of identifying the pilgrim; which is why the institution that issues it must be a parish church, confraternity, dioceses, Association of Friends of the Way of St. James, or any Christian institution related to the pilgrimage. The Credencial does not generate any rights to the pilgrim. It has two practical purposes: 1) access to hostels offered by the Christian hospitality of the Way, 2) serve as certification in applying for the “Compostela” at the Cathedral of Santiago, which certifies you have made the pilgrimage.
  • The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.
  • Therefore, the pilgrim’s Credencial can only be issued by the Church through its institutions (Bishopric, Parish, Confraternity, etc. or, in any case, through institutions that are authorised by the Church). This is the only way the “Compostela” can be awarded at the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of Santiago (Conference on the Holy Year: November 1993).
  • Hostels that receive no subsidies must be maintained, within austerity, with contributions from pilgrims (cleaning, looking after facilities, facilitating rest, financial aid…).
  • Groups organised with support car or by bicycle are requested to seek alternative shelter to the pilgrim hostels.
  • The bearer of this Credencial accepts these conditions.
The remaining pages of the Credencial contain boxes for the stamps along the pilgrimage route. The stamps are normally collected at the places where the pilgrims sleep, such as hostels, but they can also be obtained in parish churches, monasteries, cathedrals, hotels, town halls and other places.
Finally, on the back there are a series of maps of the Ways of St. James, and another page with the following blessing, from the Codex Calixtinus, written in the twelfth century

I think the cathedral's rules are directed at the tour companies that used to issue their own credentials (and thus deprive the cathedral of the revenue they get from selling them). There was a long running battle, I vaguely remember, between an Irish tour company and the cathedral. Frankly, I would be absolutely shocked if the pilgrims' office turned down a hand-made credential and denied the compostela on that basis. Imagine Kiwi mama standing there with a gaggle of kids and having some stern person behind the desk say sorry, no good! There would be a mutiny. This is not the kind of commotion the pilgrims' office wants to have. But I suppose that carrying two is the no-risk option.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I never got a problem getting a compostela. a few surprised and admiring stares, that I did get. :) I think that, given the number of stamps, no one doubted that I have walked that last 100km to qualify. I suppose that I wouldn't have a problem presenting my guide/diary with the daily stamps to get a compostela either, but at that time I also had the collections of stamped credendials with me.

I decided to make my own credencial for several reasons.

I wished to have a credencial with a picture with medieval pilgrims on it. so I found an illuminated manuscript that had one and printed it out.
on my last long camino I wanted to carry only one credencial, not three or four. the official sdc credencial is way too small for such long endevours.
on my second camino I ran out of space in my first credencial (it was the official sdc one) and had to buy a new one in castres. it cost me €13!

I have read this thread with interest and hope that a Moderator will pipe in at some point to provide the definitive answer to the question.

Well, the moderators sure do know a lot, they are experienced pilgrims and I have confidence they have a lot of insight into the topic. But moderating a forum doesn't necessarily mean to know more or having definitive answers. Especially in this case, there simply is no definitive answer to the original question:

I will be walking the Camino del Norte starting in May. I am thinking of making my own credencial. Will albergues accept this as proof that I am a "genuin pilgrim"? (If it will be accepted in Santiago to get a Compostella for me is not very important)

There are different albuerge owners who have different motivations. As davebugg cited, one purpose of the credencial is "access to hostels offered by the Christian hospitality of the Way". Thus, an albuerge parroquial could demand an officially issued credencial. A privately run hostel, camping site or albergue municipal would have no reason to insist on that. All of them want to sell their places, so it's highly unlikely that you get sent away anywhere due to a self-made credencial.

Antonius' question though is not focussed on being admitted at an albuerge, but if he will be seen as a "genuine pilgrim". But who would decide that? In the end, that's a religious question. A credencial of any kind won't make you a genuine pilgrim, if you don't feel like one yourself. It's your heart, your mind, your soul, your spirit and your belief which make you a pilgrim.

That's probably not the definitive answer you're seeking, but I couldn't find a shorter and equally honest one.

Buen camino :)
Harald

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many albergues probably will stamp any credential you have.
However, the "official word" I heard last year was that you would only be issued the Compostela if you had an official Credential. Ivar may know the answer to this one. Or Johnnywalker, who has worked in the Pilgrim Office.

Well, the moderators sure do know a lot, they are experienced pilgrims and I have confidence they have a lot of insight into the topic. But moderating a forum doesn't necessarily mean to know more or having definitive answers. Especially in this case, there simply is no definitive answer to the original question:

There are different albuerge owners who have different motivations. As davebugg cited, one purpose of the credencial is "access to hostels offered by the Christian hospitality of the Way". Thus, an albuerge parroquial could demand an officially issued credencial. A privately run hostel, camping site or albergue municipal would have no reason to insist on that. All of them want to sell their places, so it's highly unlikely that you get sent away anywhere due to a self-made credencial.

Antonius' question though is not focussed on being admitted at an albuerge, but if he will be seen as a "genuine pilgrim". But who would decide that? In the end, that's a religious question. A credencial of any kind won't make you a genuine pilgrim, if you don't feel like one yourself. It's your heart, your mind, your soul, your spirit and your belief which make you a pilgrim.

That's probably not the definitive answer you're seeking, but I couldn't find a shorter and equally honest one.

Buen camino :)
Harald
Reading your post I realised that the wording of my post is unclear. By "genuine pilgrim" I only meant : will a homemade credencial be accepted in albergues. Wheather I am a pilgrim or long distance walker is not an important question to me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
However, the "official word" I heard last year was that you would only be issued the Compostela if you had an official Credential.

Yes, that's right! As the pilgrim's office website states, you can only obtain a compostela with an official credencial. They are issued either by the Office of Pilgrimages of the Diocese of Santiago or by other associations who have been permitted to do so. Where I live (Germany), we have 9 such associations who can issue credencials which are accepted at the office at Santiago. That's where a self-made credencial is of no use.

Reading your post I realised that the wording of my post is unclear. By "genuine pilgrim" I only meant : will a homemade credencial be accepted in albergues. Wheather I am a pilgrim or long distance walker is not an important question to me.

Thanks for the clarification :)!

Yes, that's right! As the pilgrim's office website states, you can only obtain a compostela with an official credencial. They are issued either by the Office of Pilgrimages of the Diocese of Santiago or by other associations who have been permitted to do so. Where I live (Germany), we have 9 such associations who can issue credencials which are accepted at the office at Santiago. That's where a self-made credencial is of no use.

well, er, it was not a problem getting a compostela with a self-made credencial in fall of 2016. perhaps it is different now?
there is a slovenian version of a credencial but I think it's meant to be takeon onto the slovenian caminos. hmm...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all.
Not being interested about receiving the compostela, I´ve walked diferents caminos with all kind of credentials. handmade credentials, a diary book, camino asociation´s credentials...NEVER the one issued by Santiago´s Pilgrims Office. I`ve never had problems to be accepted in any kind of albergues, religious, private, municipals...NEVER.
Being volunteer hospitalero never refused any kind of credential, not earing any of my mates doing that. NEVER
That said, last year I went to the Pilgrims Office in Santiago accompanying a Camino partner who wanted to recive his Compostela; when my friend was attended , the volunteer asked me for my credential, and I told her I have not the "Official One", but she impatiently asked again for my credential , checked it and filled one compostela for me; then told both of us congratulations, said goodby and waited for the next pilgrim.

Not wanting to be controversial, the idea of one only "Officcial Credential" is a recurrent one. The Cabildo Catedralici`s attempts to impose his "monopoly" to all confraternities, associations, private, public and parish albergues, etc, each thirty years, more or less, has never been successful.
Buen Camino to you all , honest people.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.