• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making my preparations and freaking out a little

MrsBath

Time of past OR future Camino
First-time Camino walker! Starting Camino Frances mid-May.
Hello! I've never done anything even remotely like this before and I'm excited/anxious. I have transport from Biarritz to St. Jean, via Express Bourricot, and accommodation for my first night. So that's sorted, which helps! But I'm worried about my lack of Spanish and a million other things.

I'm planning a slow, go-with-the-flow Camino, but I still want to be as ready as possible, lol.

I'm bringing a sleep sack and down blanket to keep my options open, but I suspect I might prefer private rooms some or all of the time, vs. only staying in albergues. I've seen many mentions of calling ahead to book accommodations, but my cellphone won't work in Spain except with wifi, and I don't really speak Spanish, anyway.

Will I have much luck booking private albergues, hostels, B&Bs or budget hotels online once I'm in Spain?

Anybody had luck using wifi-only phones on the Camino to call and/or book online?

Or do I need a burner phone to call ahead, presuming I can even do that with (very) limited Spanish?

Thanks in advance for any advice or reassurance you can give me :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello! I've never done anything even remotely like this before and I'm excited/anxious. I have transport from Biarritz to St. Jean, via Express Bourricot, and accommodation for my first night. So that's sorted, which helps! But I'm worried about my lack of Spanish and a million other things.

I'm planning a slow, go-with-the-flow Camino, but I still want to be as ready as possible, lol.

I'm bringing a sleep sack and down blanket to keep my options open, but I suspect I might prefer private rooms some or all of the time, vs. only staying in albergues. I've seen many mentions of calling ahead to book accommodations, but my cellphone won't work in Spain except with wifi, and I don't really speak Spanish, anyway.

Will I have much luck booking private albergues, hostels, B&Bs or budget hotels online once I'm in Spain?

Anybody had luck using wifi-only phones on the Camino to call and/or book online?

Or do I need a burner phone to call ahead, presuming I can even do that with (very) limited Spanish?

Hello Mrs Bath
Don't freak out about the Camino, you are going to love it.

When are you walking?

Have you bought John Brierley's book yet? It is very helpful in finding accommodation. On the other hand, if you have a smart phone and access to the internet you can find accommodation easily - I found the easiest way was to look at google maps for the area I was in or heading to, check out what accomm is there and then call and book.

I walked the Camino in October 2013 and am doing it again in April.

I personally would not sleep out in the open because there is plenty of accommodation along the route and lots of variety. I also would not bother taking a sleeping bag. Take a sleeping bag liner because most of the Albergues provide a blanket only. Remember, you have to carry everything so you don't want to have too much in your pack. I got my pack down to 6kg and then I had too much with me. I could easily have left some things behind. Having done the Camino before I know what I can leave behind. Unless you are on medication you don't need to take a lot of toilettries either. There are pharmacies everywhere.

Some smaller villages may not have as much accommodation available and if at the very busiest time you are unable to find a bed for the night you can always get a taxi to the next town or village, get a room/bed for the night and taxi it back to your last walking point if you wanted.

I learned a couple of spanish phrases in order to book a room but mostly I did not even need it.

I booked ahead a couple of times because when I walked it was the busiest it had been in years - I never had a problem finding a bed for the night. The albergues are usually filled first but don't stress about it. Walk and enjoy.

I used wifi a lot and most of the bars or cafes will have free wifi so you can ring ahead and book accommodation, send emails home etc. I used to upload some photos to Facebook for friends to see as well whilst in a cafe/bar.

You could also get a Vodafone sim card for while you are away, I did that the first time I went to Spain but Vodafone kept sending text messages every day and before I knew it all my credit was used up.

I am on the Vodafone network here in Australia and for $5 per day I can use the phone as I would at home and not have to pay extra - works brilliantly for OS travel.

There are loads of options available and we are spoiled in this modern day on the Camino.

Get excited with planning your trip, have fun and enjoy it.

Excellent advice from Hutton24. I would just add that Booking.com is excellent for B&Bs and hotels.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ME: turned 60 on Camino 2016 , solo but one can never be alone in the Camino , accommodation I mixed it up and found some great private room specials on booking.com which I booked the day before , stayed in some albergues for the company when I needed it .

I have adventures of some sort every year for past 12 yrs although you wouldn't know it because I freak out every time during planning stage but I have learnt to deal with the process my head puts me through . I always rock up to an adventure , my mind knows it has lost the battle and it shuts up :rolleyes:.... sounds crazy but I am sure I am not the only one .

Camino 2016..... I did no prep due to time poor work and family commitments .... so I just rocked up , took my time , started in st Jean via Valcarlos , learnt as I went , enjoyed the hard days , the blissful days , the painful days , the blissful days , early morning starts , some short days , some long days ..... I learnt as I went :cool:....

YOU: Feel the fear and do it anyway
Pack light
Start slow it's not a race
Savour the good moments , learn from any uncomfortable moments
Be in the NOW
Music on iPhone helped me through some long days
Have good shoe inserts , umbrella was handy against both heat and drizzle
Forget anything ... no problems there are equipment shops in bigger places :D

Ultreia
Onwards and upwards

You will be fine. Others are never far away should you need help and help will be given. The advice about booking.com is excellent. It solves the language issue. I can put together enough Spanish to ask for a room but the variety of answers and details I could get in return would confuse me. I have used Booking.com often the day before or even day off to book a room ahead when I couldn't face a lot of people in a small room. You will find wifi available at most bars and places to stay for the night and it is a whole lot cheaper than having a Spanish sim card. I don't bother with a phone anymore. Bon Camino

You'll do just fine. I got a Spanish SIM card, but as it turns out Inever used my phone for calls. Booking.com came in handy the one time I booked ahead for a room. All the other nights I simply asked "Una cama por la noche, por favor?" Along with a couple of other words and phrases I learnt from my English-Spanish book, that is the extent of my "fluency". Mirroring the simplicity of life on my Camino, I kept exchanges as simple as possible unless I came across someone who spoke English or French. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much for these reassuring answers! I arrive mid-May, so it's starting to sink in that I am really going.

Like you, Annie, I am always fine once I'm actually on my way to my travel destination, but also always anxious leading up to departure. This time I just have longer to feel anxious because of the extended preparations :).

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome, @MrsBath!
Not to be concerned. Freaking out is normal.
But once you have your feet on the ground you'll see that Spain is just another place...and you've known how to walk since infancy.
Lots of WiFi is available and you can always have the people where you're staying help you with onward bookings if you need them (you may not). Going with the flow is a grand idea.
Buen Camino!

MsBath. Be excited, be ecstatic, be overwhelmed with curiosity, be amazed at your own gumption and courage, expect to meet many many people sharing your vision and aims but no reason to freak out. Last year 250,000 pilgrims walked triumphantly into Santiago proving their merit and to claim their Compostela. You most certainly will be able to as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OH my goodness I love your questions MrsBath. I will start my first Camino in 16 Days! I know the feeling...waking up in the middle of the night thinking what the heck am I doing...but it calms my heart to hear the encouraging words of those that have gone before us! Buen Camino!

I planned to get a SIM but by the time I got to Pamplona, I was doing so well without it that I never looked back. I figured that if an emergency arose I would just pay the higher costs for a call- fortunately no emergencies.

I used Duolingo before I left and found free on line travel audio/ visual teaching sites to bone up on basic Pelegrina Spanish ( my plan to start 1 year early and become more conversant got eaten up by life and procrastination )

For various reasons including wanting a lower bunk after a back injury to walking longer days and not wanting to rush, I booked beds ahead of time. Each albergue was more than happy to call ahead for me to get that reservation (obviously I used a guide that listed which albergues took them ) some lists even which have private rooms

( I am gun shy of Booking.com after eating costs for cancelled reservations, I was not smart enough to check ahead to see which could be cancelled)

My experience has been that albergue owners are very happy to phone ahead and make a booking for you.
Last year I had made my own bookings months earlier and a few owners had requested that I phoned and confirmed the day before, but I forgot which ones. Therefore i had to do it every day, I used to ask the owner where I was staying and they were so very happy to do it and chatted away with their neighbour 20 klm further west. The result was that I always got a great welcome.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What Lydia said. We had a 100% average with asking the people at albergues and bars to call for reservations on our behalf. With very few exceptions, the people along the Way are helpful and kind to pilgrims. In terms of your wifi phone, my experience was uneven. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes there was not enough bandwidth to hold a call. You will find wifi absolutely everywhere though, and with a little determination and experimentation, you will be able to get some signal. The password is usually on a sign around the bar.

OH my goodness I love your questions MrsBath. I will start my first Camino in 16 Days! I know the feeling...waking up in the middle of the night thinking what the heck am I doing...but it calms my heart to hear the encouraging words of those that have gone before us! Buen Camino!

Buon Camino! I am so glad sharing my worries is helping someone else! I need to do this more often, instead of hiding my vulnerabilities, if that makes sense.

My experience has been that albergue owners are very happy to phone ahead and make a booking for you.
Last year I had made my own bookings months earlier and a few owners had requested that I phoned and confirmed the day before, but I forgot which ones. Therefore i had to do it every day, I used to ask the owner where I was staying and they were so very happy to do it and chatted away with their neighbour 20 klm further west. The result was that I always got a great welcome.

This is wonderful to hear. I don't feel sure about making my nightly reservations now - who knows how fast I will walk, or when I will need to rest? I will have to rely on the kindness of strangers - but it sounds like I will find many kind strangers, if this forum is any example :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I planned to get a SIM but by the time I got to Pamplona, I was doing so well without it that I never looked back. I figured that if an emergency arose I would just pay the higher costs for a call- fortunately no emergencies.

I used Duolingo before I left and found free on line travel audio/ visual teaching sites to bone up on basic Pelegrina Spanish ( my plan to start 1 year early and become more conversant got eaten up by life and procrastination )

For various reasons including wanting a lower bunk after a back injury to walking longer days and not wanting to rush, I booked beds ahead of time. Each albergue was more than happy to call ahead for me to get that reservation (obviously I used a guide that listed which albergues took them ) some lists even which have private rooms

( I am gun shy of Booking.com after eating costs for cancelled reservations, I was not smart enough to check ahead to see which could be cancelled)
I found booking .com much more reliable & helpful in Spain than I found in the US. So I am curious if you are referring to that happening in Spain?

Hello! I've done it several times and still I get excited like the first time. Very normal I hope :)
It's nice to know a little Spanish but it doesn't matter much if you don't, you'll pick up the necessities quickly enough once you're on the Camino.

People are very friendly and willing to help. Sometimes too much; If you ask an old Spanish fellow `Camino... this way, or that way?´and they start telling you in Spanish what must be the entire way to Santiago! ´Over the bridge, past a church, turn left by a big tree, walk further until....´ all whilst you are are panicky waving your arms in certain directions ´no no, please just tell me left or right?`. Situations like that make you realise it would be nice to know what left and right in Spanish is but talking with hands and feet you will get all questions answered, don't worry.
On my first trip I stood at the train station in Biarritz telling the woman behind the counter ´Moi... euhmm... Ttsoe Tjsoeee! to Saint Jan piet du port?´ while making steam locomotive motions. I got a train ticket and a big smile. Merci!

I find it nice to have a working phone on the Camino. Not just to make calls but for instance texting friends you've met on the way telling them you´ll wait for them at the next coffee stop or whatever.
Maybe you could get by just using Wifi, and Wifi is everywhere nowadays, but I wouldn´t count on finding it when you need it.

Have a great Camino!

This is wonderful to hear. I don't feel sure about making my nightly reservations now - who knows how fast I will walk, or when I will need to rest? I will have to rely on the kindness of strangers - but it sounds like I will find many kind strangers, if this forum is any example :)

Realistically, you don't need reservations for albergues, and lots won't take them. We realized that planning ahead too much was a bad idea, because you really don't want to schedule your experience too rigidly. Sometimes, you want a hotel in a larger town up ahead, and there a reservation is a good idea. So is a taxi from the edge of a larger city to the hotel! But for most days, we just walked until tired and then checked into the first place we found in the next town. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the important things about the Camino is to, as you say, go with the flow and enjoy. Not sure of your abilty to walk distance daily, something most of us older Peregrinos learn quickly, is the first hurdle. The main thing I have learned is, throw out the "schedule", even better, throw out the calendar, if you can. Ptivate rooms are not always available, unless camping out is an option. It is my plan, when I return, to just walk, each day, and experience peregrinos and the inhabitants of the land, as I come to them. Buen camino!!!

@MrsBath I will also be walking solo May 1/June, so hope to bump into you out there. AS they have said, you are never really alone on the camino, unless you want to be. Beyond excited! Buen camino!

We are leaving to Porto next Sunday. In six more days I'll find out more or less everything what you all talking about. First time on Pilgrim road. I hope for...something important in my life.
Would like to know if anyone had used smartphone translator apps during the trip? It mus be lighter then to have a conversation book, Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You'll survive and love it. I walked the Camino the last two years. I know very little Spanish or French (St Jean). Take a pocket Spanish/English dictionary..or download one on your phone. There is also a free translation app you can download for use when you are around wifi. You can start planning ahead and booking accommodations for the first couple of days and just keep doing that along the way, that way you can see how you feel and how far you want to walk. DON'T over do it, it is easy to get caught up in the competitiveness of the Camino. Listen to your body, go with the flow and take it one day at a time. You'll love it!

A little apprehension/excitement is perfectly normal and happens to everyone even if they've done it many times before.

We do tend to make it more complicated than necessary. Once you get there and get into a rhythm, most of the concerns just fade away. You'll be surprised at the number of resources you will find along the way.

There will probably be a few aches and pains and likely some minor mishaps but that's all part of the adventure. Try not to over plan. The surprises make the best stories!

Buen Camino

Hi there,
So there is an infinite number of questions you could ask but no answer will take away the shivers you have prior to ur first walk.
The best part of this journey is that it is unplannable and that is priceless! On ur walk you will start realizing how many useless questions u not just had for the camino but also in your life. I really did let go a lot of worries.
Having said that I wish u an awesome experience.
Fall in love with it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are leaving to Porto next Sunday. In six more days I'll find out more or less everything what you all talking about. First time on Pilgrim road. I hope for...something important in my life.
Would like to know if anyone had used smartphone translator apps during the trip? It mus be lighter then to have a conversation book, Thank you.
I used a Spanish Translator on my smart phone and it worked well - I could ask questions and get them to type a reply and we could understand each other

I found booking .com much more reliable & helpful in Spain than I found in the US. So I am curious if you are referring to that happening in Spain?
my experience was booked from US for hotels and B&B and I had missed the line that indicated these could not be not be cancelled. Someone on the forum reminded me of that clause
I gave 2 weeks notice when my flight got changed. When a refund was denied, I was told to contact the hotels directly. The B&B did credit me back, they had to contact booking and authorize it
the others would not

my experience was booked from US for hotels and B&B and I had missed the line that indicated these could not be not be cancelled. Someone on the forum reminded me of that clause
I gave 2 weeks notice when my flight got changed. When a refund was denied, I was told to contact the hotels directly. The B&B did credit me back, they had to contact booking and authorize it
the others would not
Yes thank you for the clarification I no longer use them in the US.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm arriving in Porto on May 22nd to walk the Senda de litoral and am experiencing a roller coaster of emotions; mainly excitement but the odd sense of what the heck am I doing.
Buen Camino

Wifi is everywhere along the camino, at practically every cafe and bar. Get the phone app "WisePilgrim" It is in English and will tell you about coming albergues and other places to stay in each town before you get there and you can click on one and it will connect you to Booking.com so that you can make a reservation. Don't worry, you will be fine!

I walked the Camino last year. I too was panicked about my packing, my equipment, did I have everything?

My son, as he was driving me to the airport, finally asked; "Dad - do you have your passport - me yes; do you have your boots - me yes; do you have a credit card - me yes. Then you are packed"

Remember a tenant of the Camino is " the Camino Provides"

Buen Camino Bob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I would suggest learning some phrases in Spanish, such as 'do you have a private room?' & 'how much?' Many Spainards do speak English but it would be helpful to you & likely appreciated by your host country if you make an attempt to communicate in their language. The Google Translate app is very good & can help you communicate with other nationalities you will meet along The Way. I would also buy a burner phone & find out the emergency number for Spain in case you need it.

I was excited & nervous for my first Camino too -- all first timers are. I hiked from SJPP to Santiago last summer. At times it was hard & lonely. I'm sure my husband & friends back in Indianapolis had bets on whether or not I'd finish too. But I did! And I did it my way, which you should too. Hike slower, take rest days, take a bus if you want to sometimes, whatever your way might be. As I reflect upon my Camino experience, it was outstanding! It was one of the best & most unique things I have ever done. And I hope it is for you too.

Hi! Nomi, I just learned how to use google site type in translate in the box
turn mic. on.
Say what you want to ask/ like I want one room with two beds in Spanish,
It will translate the language you want to say or any language, then the conversing
person will say their own language, the end of sentence add in English, then you will understand, no problems of language barriers of conversion.
Try it now, it wanders how whole world is getting so small with that feature.
Buen Camino from Cathy.

I used my iPod Touch to book ahead w/Booking.com and was very easy to book ahead if need be. The hostel you stay at will help or even make the call to book your next night. When not in hostels, we stayed in places that cost about 20E for a private room + 10E for the pilgrim meal. I always found wifi at our hostel or a cafe each day and could also recharge my battery there. I downloaded a language translator that didn't need the use of wifi on my iPod. I also downloaded Skype and Viber for free calling, texting, photos videos, and face to face w/my family. Learn the basic spanish: bathroom, please, & thank you. Most menu's will be the same, so take a picture of the menu, then translate it back in your room, so when you order a salad you'll know if octopus is in it, among other things! They usually have photos of the plates of food, so you can just point. For anxiety: You have a calling to walk the Camino. Put your full trust in this calling! The Camino really does provide. There are angels on the Camino looking out for you! When you least expect it, someone is there to help you in your need. So, no worries. Embrace it! Relax and enjoy each day & each moment of your own personal pilgrimage. Before you know it, you'll be home again, dreaming of returning and doing it all over again. It's been 2 years since I went and now it almost feels like it was just a dream. And I'm still dreaming of my return. Buen Camino!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Again I learn so much from reading everyone's responses to questions. I leave in 1 week to commence my Camino from Lisbon. Yes I am apprehensive, but feel more confident hearing of the experience of others.

I used my iPod Touch to book ahead w/Booking.com and was very easy to book ahead if need be. The hostel you stay at will help or even make the call to book your next night. When not in hostels, we stayed in places that cost about 20E for a private room + 10E for the pilgrim meal. I always found wifi at our hostel or a cafe each day and could also recharge my battery there. I downloaded a language translator that didn't need the use of wifi on my iPod. I also downloaded Skype and Viber for free calling, texting, photos videos, and face to face w/my family. Learn the basic spanish: bathroom, please, & thank you. Most menu's will be the same, so take a picture of the menu, then translate it back in your room, so when you order a salad you'll know if octopus is in it, among other things! They usually have photos of the plates of food, so you can just point. For anxiety: You have a calling to walk the Camino. Put your full trust in this calling! The Camino really does provide. There are angels on the Camino looking out for you! When you least expect it, someone is there to help you in your need. So, no worries. Embrace it! Relax and enjoy each day & each moment of your own personal pilgrimage. Before you know it, you'll be home again, dreaming of returning and doing it all over again. It's been 2 years since I went and now it almost feels like it was just a dream. And I'm still dreaming of my return. Buen Camino!!!

Hello, dreamwalker,
Thanks for the info I am way behind with new technology.
I am going to apply skype and Viber and see what happens, phone company is
not responding well with unlocking my phone, hope I don't need to call anyone.
Booking.com is great to book ahead, so I booked 4 nights so far. Am leaving Mon.
Checking weather where I am heading,seems raining all the way.
Poncho, leg and shoes covers my friend made, taking alone.
I am ready to face any exception of thunder and lightning.
Hope you will make your Camino soon.
I am planning next year spend Easter at Barcelona.
Buen Camino. Thanks, Cathy.

Cathy,
Shoe covers will be great! Those rainy days we had, I wished I had gaiters as my pants got wet down into my socks and then into my boots. We had to stay in a pension to get a heated room so they could dry out. My 8 euro poncho was way better than my hubby's $45 REI one. I bought mine on the Caminio. Nice to wear a baseball hat under the poncho hood to keep your face/glasses dry. I hope you do get some nice weather.. those forecasts can be wrong so many times! We had arrived in the evening into SJPDP and started off the next AM.. I wished we'd spent 2 nights just to acclimate. Make sure you drink a lot of water. We had no blisters by taking off our shoes & socks and airing them out every hour or two. I put lots of coconut butter on my feet each morning to help with friction.. Wishing you a fantastic pilgrimage!!! Let us know about it! Your route is one we are now considering. Barcelong next Easter!!! Oh Wow!!! You know how to live!!! Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi

dont forget it's not a race, Spain is a modern country (you can buy everything on the way!) and it is a journey to enjoy - and believe me, you'll love it!) "If in doubt, leave it out" do not take too much stuff! what seems light now will feel like an elephant on your back after 100 kms! - and for me, electronic devices should be kept to an absolute minimum, enjoy the moment, get your nose out of your texts and live "the now" buen camino ps I'm doing my 2nd Camino in May, I'm not organising anything, just turn up and go! you'll be fine, as they say "the Camino will provide, - just remember your credit card!!!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back