• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making Reservations On-Line?

Kernel Philip

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 10/25/2017
I have walked 1.5 Caminos in the off-season (once in fall and once in spring) and so never reserved ahead. Next week I start with my wife, so thought it best to try and reserve. As we are in the U.S. we cannot reasonably call albergues to reserve ($3.00 a minute on our plan). I have had modest success going to websites (e.g. Suseia in Zubiri was EXCELLENT!) but others don't respond promptly (e.g. Orisson) or at all, (e.g. Paderborn in Pamplona where I have stayed and highly recommend.) Anyone have suggestions? Gracias y Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can also buy credit on Skype and call albergues direct, taking account the time change from your home and the hours when they are open, for very low charges per minute. $10. might allow you to talk hours beyond what you'll spend making reservations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have made two reservations already via WhatsApp. Places were very responsive.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked 1.5 Caminos in the off-season (once in fall and once in spring) and so never reserved ahead. Next week I start with my wife, so thought it best to try and reserve. As we are in the U.S. we cannot reasonably call albergues to reserve ($3.00 a minute on our plan). I have had modest success going to websites (e.g. Suseia in Zubiri was EXCELLENT!) but others don't respond promptly (e.g. Orisson) or at all, (e.g. Paderborn in Pamplona where I have stayed and highly recommend.) Anyone have suggestions? Gracias y Buen Camino!

Hola Phil - Oh and Happy 4th July.
Now for Orisson - I emailed them (in English and French - used Google Chrome to translate). I gave them my dates and they emailed me back an invoice - use Pay Pal. But, and this is a big but, you do need to give them 30+ days notice. Its not a really big establishment and they have not problem filling it. Also if they are busy, responding to emails at the end of the day may not be high on the priority list. Give them a few more days before sending a second request. Cheers

I use hotels.com and booking.com. They are extremely convenient.

You only need to worry about your first night. After that, make your reservations a day ahead. That has always worked for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can also call over wifi using the Viber app. You purchase Viber credits to make calls to landlines, and the cost is only 2¢ per minute. I bought $4.99 worth of credit before starting my caniniyabd and still have $3.64 left.
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but just to clarify, if you are calling over wifi using Viber, you can call a landline in Spain from either North America or from within Spain for $0.02/minute? That seems almost too good to be true.

Querido Peregrinos, Muchas Gracias a todos! I really appreciate your prompt and very helpful responses. davebugg's find of the Only Pilgrims website is fantastic and very convenient for the albergues they list. Also agree that What'sApp is a great idea for the albergues that have it. Is there a way to know who has WhatsApp by looking at the phone number, or do you need to be WhatsApp "friends" first? Viber App also looks like a great option for those of us w/o SIM cards. For the General Cause: While Orisson was a bit slow to respond, I succussfully made reservations via their website this week for July 10, and paid via PayPal (Thanks Saint Mike II). As for the need to book ahead, I am wondering if, alas, this is changing as the Camino becomes ever more popular. In my late October 2017 (SJPDP- Carrion de los Condes) walk I had absolutely no problem. In my walk early April 2019 (SJPDP-Santiago) certain stages were crowded to the point (e.g. Roncesvalle and Zubiri ) were completely full and pilgrims were turned away. One Brit who arrived later in the day found nothing in Zubiri or Larrasoana and slept under a bridge. And yet, for the most part all was well. Further on, there were days on the meseta when I walked hours without seeing anyone. I notice Thank you all again! My wife and I will be on the Camino next week! Buen Camino a todos! Kernel Philip

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but just to clarify, if you are calling over wifi using Viber, you can call a landline in Spain from either North America or from within Spain for $0.02/minute? That seems almost too good to be true.
It's true. In order to get that rate you need to buy a Viber credit "package". I usually purchase the $4.99 package. According to their website it looks like calls to European or North American countries are 1.9¢/minute or less.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Booking.com for us. Used it all around the world - value is that I could do a great deal of reading if unsure about the location. Hostels that do any electronic booking are usually on it, also has apartments, hotels, etc in one place.

Main thing we liked is that Booking.com stands behind their bookings. They took care of us many times when hotel/hostel was screwed up on their end.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can also call over wifi using the Viber app. You purchase Viber credits to make calls to landlines, and the cost is only 2¢ per minute. I bought $4.99 worth of credit before starting my caniniyabd and still have $3.64 left.
Thanks so much for posting this. We made our first call using it today - 11 minutes for 22 cents for a call from the US to Spain. Wow!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back