• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making the Camino better

Preshadon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, SJPP - Logroño 2016
Logroño - Ponferrada (Sept. 2017)
Ponferrada - Santiago (2018?)
What are the 7 best things I can do to make the Camino de Santiago better for those who will follow me and for the hosts who graciously share their beautiful country with me?

Feedback is a gift, so all replies are appreciated but I am particularly interested in the response from those who live near the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh! My kind of question! And what a precious one it is - bless you for asking it!

1. Be considered with resources, f.e. water (showering/washing up), to leave more for everybody.
2. Pack out all your own rubbish, including toilet paper, out and commit to pack out at least one piece of extra rubbish each day.
3. Share what you have with others.
4. Don't put your own needs before the needs of others.
5. Listen more than you talk.
6. Be aware that donativo doesn't mean free and speak with others about it (they might not know it).
7. When returning home, live a pilgrim life in your normal life, trying to implement the above wherever you are.

Buen Camino, SY

PS I am not there yet, but I do try ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1. Learn more Spanish. Spend time chatting with locals, not just other pilgrims. Ask them about themselves, they know all about pilgrims already!

2. Try to support bars and restaurants that are a bit out of the way. Often in any given town, there are some bars that make a mint and others less well situated that are struggling.

3. Similarly, try to stay in places a bit off the camino, and take alternative routes. Spread the economic benefits fairly.

4. Ask if you can help with cleaning or washing up in the donativo albergues.

5. Write nice reviews of good albergues, and truthful ones of bad ones.

6. Take photos of the hospitaleros and tell them that you'll remember your stay with them.

7. Challenge people you see taking fruit off trees and vines, flattening people's crops, or littering.

BONUS Tell people their children are gorgeous. It's Spanish culture to make a fuss of other people's children.

Last edited:
Good question @Preshadon.
The only thing I'll add to all of the above is to be respectful of motorists - at an intersection, only walk across a crosswalk when the pedestrian light is green. When pilgrims walk across when they're not supposed to, it clogs up traffic, which can be inconsiderate for drivers who need to get to work, drop off kids at school, and/or have other time constraints.
Buen Camino coming up!
Faith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
8. Make a proper donation in the donativo albergues, if you can afford it pay what you would for the same service in a private albergue.

9. Educate yourself on the signs of bedbugs, and if you see them, don't scream and shout, but have a quiet word with the hospitalero.

10. Live a little in each town, so you appreciate them as unique places. Even if your feet are hurting and you are tired, go to the little museum, climb up the city walls, or go swimming.

11. In cities, support small family run shops wherever you can (look for a small sports shop before bussing out to Decathlon).

12. Make a point of saying Good Day to elderly locals in the villages, and stopping for a chat if you speak Spanish. Many of them have their family living far away.

13. Take an interest in what is in the news in Spain. Notice how stories about your home country are reported.

14. If it's not in your culture, practice kissing people on both cheeks before you go, so you don't flinch when Spanish people do it to you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Mikel Olivares what do you think?
Thank you, Notion900 for referencing Mikel. I am particularly interested in the perspective from Mikel because of his proximity to the Camino and because he probably pays the taxes for the government entities that support the Camino.

I can't speak for Mikel, but I live on the Camino Frances and pay taxes here. Contrary to popular belief, there is no over-reaching government authority "in charge" of the Camino de Santiago. There are very few government funds that directly support albergues and pilgrims and the trail itself. (A boatload of public money is spent promoting pilgrimage tourism, holding conferences and seminars, and flying PR and marketing guys around to shake each others' hands.)
When problems arise on the trail, trying to get authorities to enforce existing laws is pushing a stone uphill. It's really up to us, the pilgrims and people who love the Camino, to take care of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back