• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

malaga to merida via baena? anyone done it?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked from Granada to SDC last year and the route is virtually the same as you intend-Baena was about 5 days from Granada. The only trouble with this route is the lack of albergues-once or twice I stayed in the sports stadiums but otherwise used hostals. It's a very rewarding route,blissfully un crowded and with some beautiful scenerey.Cordoba was obviously a highlight. I suppose camping is possible but I budgeted for hostals-I am at an age where I like a bit of comfort at the end of the day!

I walked Malaga to Merida last April. My experience was similar to Omar's. In some towns there is no Hostal and you have to approach the Ayto which will allow you to sleep in the sports facilities free of charge. If you arrive in such a town on the weekend, the Ayto will be closed.

Wild camping would be possible, but the quantity of spent shottie cartridges lying around might put you off.

I met no other pilgrims and except in Cordoba no English speakers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camping out may be very chilly during March.

I walked from Granada and actually slept out in Baena. Guardia Civil were very friendly when they found me.

There are places to sleep, but you have to search for them. Or, just ask at Policia Local!

Baena to Castro del Rio remains one of my toughest, but most memorable experiences of walking from Granada. By the time I reached Cordoba I was quite literally hallucinating from tiredness. Not that it wasn't enjoyable.

You can expect frost and freezing winds in March. Personally, I'm glad I did it in September. That was cold enough at times.

hi and apologies for delay in replying. have been ill again. turned 70 last year and despite ostseo arthritis from head to foot plus lung infections still hauled myself over route napoleon! very pleased with myself but still have lung infections. doctor and consultant and me agree i keep on trucking as the saying goes with mucho antibiotics in rucksack! have got maps and books and gear except tent but still debating tent versus bivvy bag. used to roughing it but appreciate point at a certain age a bed is very nice! will no doubt compromise! downloaded maps but very hesitant about quality. think i have cut off edges which show gps and my navigation is a bit rusty anyway! which brings me to the point! is route well marked or is there bits it might be best to catch a bus. will probably do that anyway on long stretches. more worried about water and DOGS than anything else. weather should be ok in april? what about stoves or is it better just to have water and cold rations (used to that!) and eat in town and village etc?

many thanks for your help.

john josiah1

I wouldn't be too stessed about this route.It is adequately marked-mostly.I used the alison raju book which is ok (but with some errors and new road construction makes it wrong in places) but is very good for getting through towns.I stayed in hostales to Merida from Granada(with an occasional sports depot)-not too expensive and I liked the comfort.I personally wouldn't camp-too much trouble carrying tent,looking for a shower etc.Water wasn't a problem either except on one day which was basically my fault.If you don't have any preference I would suggest starting from Granada so you can be a tourist for a few days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The route was well waymarked in April last year. There is no hostal accomodation in Villanueva de la Concepcion, Cuevas Bajas or Encinas Reales. You need to go to the Ayto. Do not arrive in these towns on the weekend because the Ayto will be closed.

Water was not a problem, I carried 2 litres. Keep your eyes open for fountains, the water quality can be superb.

You can do the tourist thing in Malaga too.

I have just been given a copy of an excellent little book on the Malaga Camino, produced by the Asociacion Jacobea de Malaga, which coves the route to Cordova in great detail. It is primarily in Spanish, although there are a few descriptive pages in English, and it has excellent maps, both topographical and impressionistic. Apparently it is funded by the Deputacion provincial (http://malaga.es/provincia/rutas) but, if you send for a copy, it would be couth to include a few international reply coupons.

many thanks to all and a belated apology to ivar for not saying thank u sooner for getting back on to forum. now fascinated by replies and advice! :D
hoping to fix a departure date soon or at least book flite to malaga and bus 2 seville! anything to get started as am going down with cabin fever! the credit card is likely to take a very severe beating but am too old to beg and i havent the nerve to busk! still hanker for a bivvy bag to sleep out undr the stars! just an old romantic i guess or simply a Celt! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I forgot to add that the contact for the Camino Mozarabe de Malaga booklet is ajacobeamalaga@hotmail.com. The president is Juan Gerrero (34/619.219.319). The Amigos there meet on Tuesdays at 7.30 pm at the Centro Cyltural de Limonar, on Calle Argentina 9, 29016 Malaga.

Hola amigos!

Tent etc bought and flight booked for Tuesday 21st april! arriving too late for to see amigos of the way but am in melting pot backpacking hostel for 2 nites. need to check camping shops for gas for stove and also take a look at maps. probabaly only doing something like ten days but who cares, i will have started! may take a few trips to complete vdlp but am in no rush. hate the thought of finishing it anyway!! if u hear a badlly played tin whistle somewhere along the road to baena its me!!

adios y gracias.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
now in malaga and bad start! no one seems to know much about route from here and map shop couldnt help. catching bus to antequera and camping at el torcal site then maybe bus to cordoba and hopefully hitting the yellow arrows from there! still good to be in spain and picasso's corner backpacking hostel very good if u can stand being sourrunded by noisy youngsters who party all night and then sleep in! im getting up when they go to bed! only jealous. staff very kind and helpful. will be glad to be out of city and heading north. your prayers appreciated!!!
john josiah 1 aka sean.

You won't find your way out of Cordoba and onto the camino without a map from the friends.

johnjosiah1 said:
now in malaga and bad start! no one seems to know much about route from here and map shop couldnt help. catching bus to antequera and camping at el torcal site then maybe bus to cordoba and hopefully hitting the yellow arrows from there! still good to be in spain and picasso's corner backpacking hostel very good if u can stand being sourrunded by noisy youngsters who party all night and then sleep in! im getting up when they go to bed! only jealous. staff very kind and helpful. will be glad to be out of city and heading north. your prayers appreciated!!!
john josiah 1 aka sean.

I'm sorry again for my delay answering your post.

The right person for that could be Pepe, the head of the local association. I'm sure he could know it.

I think all the route was marked, a few years ago, but I don't know how it's been maintained.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back