• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Discover the Camino Maltés, a new pilgrimage starting point in Malta

alwalker

Al WAlker
Time of past OR future Camino
many.

next ones- Via Francigena, San Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Malta has been added to the list of starting points for the Camino de Santiago, thanks to the initiative of several local entities including Heritage Malta. Is anyone interested in this and do you have any information on route, accommodation, transport etc??

The Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage route that can be initiated from different starting points in several European countries. Malta is now one of these starting points, with a route named Camino Maltés which is around 3,600km long and which also includes Sicily, Sardinia and Barcelona.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How interesting, thank you @alwalker I haven't been to Malta, but family members and friends have visited there - I've heard nothing but good reports. And I found the website

Grazzi.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Interesting indeed, though I would hardly call it "new", as both the "petit tour" and "grand tour" routes of the late Mediaeval and the Renaissance periods included Malta as a stage, including on the route towards Santiago, though more often towards Jerusalem.

Malta was anyway a stopping point on the maritime pilgrimage routes between Jerusalem, Rome, and Compostela. So it is pleasing that some renovation of those old routes has been accomplished !!

How interesting, thank you @alwalker I haven't been to Malta, but family members and friends have visited there - I've heard nothing but good reports. And I found the website

Grazzi.
most of the main caminos - Thank you for this - With the exception of the Norte and Francegena I have done most of the usual caminos. Do you have any more ideas for new caminos/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We spent a week walking in Malta in April 2022 and saw this sign. We thought it interesting so we snapped a photo. Not sure it has anything to do with the way to Santiago. It is a beautiful country with beautiful people.

Attachments

• tempImageO8g6JT.png
    tempImageO8g6JT.png
    16.9 MB · Views: 5
@Pelerina. You can read more about our Malta walks on our blog. They are more for us to remember than informational. The people are wonderful and the history runs deep.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We spent a week walking in Malta in April 2022 and saw this sign. We thought it interesting so we snapped a photo. Not sure it has anything to do with the way to Santiago. It is a beautiful country with beautiful people.
Thanks for uloading this photo. This is a sign of the Universal Peace Walk 1543AD - a 28km walk of historic significance on a European scale at the time (hence the name). More information about this is available here: https://universalpeacewalk.mt. But, vis-a-vis the route there is significant overlap between this walk and the Malta segment of the Camino Maltes (https://caminomaltes.mt) by virtue of the fact that Malta is a small island and both walks go through the older Maltese towns and villages. If you require more info about any of these walks please feel free to write to information@XirCammini.rg . XirCammini is the Malta NGO, run by volunteers, that represents the Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.