• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Mamils

rector

ONE HALF
Time of past OR future Camino
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
Are some Mamils (Middle aged men in Lycra) dangerous to pilgrims? To day while walking between Fromista and Carrion on that long straight path that runs along the road, which has a cycle lane we were almost run over by 4 or 5 groups of cyclists on the pilgrim path on one occasion, on he only hill on that road, they never gave any warning and whilst doing in excess of 20mph scattered pilgrims everywhere on the hill. I have helped cyclists several times this trip, but today I was so close to sticking my pole in their spokes that it frightened me. What is the penalty in Spain for sticking you pole in someone's spokes?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
. . . today I was so close to sticking my pole in their spokes that it frightened me.
First, you're not alone in your impulse . . .

Yes, the Camino can be physically or mentally challenging, but there were times (at least for me) where the greatest challenge was charity in place of my own (arguably justified) wrath. First it was for the mountain bikers such as you described (although there are many courteous ones out there, and many are members of this forum), and then for the hordes of walking vacationers that begin in Sarria.

I am wondering. Do you see many people on tricycles on the way? I am planning to ride my recumbent trike next year but my goal is ten miles a day so I don't expect to be flying by anyone.

Thanks,
Marian

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I understand that there are bike routes that do not exactly follow that path that I can use to go around those narrow places. Do you know anything about that? It is part of the reason I am limiting my distance per day so I can go back an go around if I get stopped by conditions.

Thank you,
Marian

I understand that there are bike routes that do not exactly follow that path that I can use to go around those narrow places. Do you know anything about that? It is part of the reason I am limiting my distance per day so I can go back an go around if I get stopped by conditions.

Thank you,
Marian
I am not certain about the guide to the Camino Francés, but the other CSJ guides give the alternative routes where needed for cyclists. You could contact CSJ (UK) to ask and for advice, or send for the guide(s) anyway.

Thank you. I so appreciate everyone's willingness to help. I believe I ordered that but it has not yet arrived.

Marian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think we may have encountered the same gang of MAMILs this morning, on the camino between Terradillos and Moratinos. They just about took out a blind pilgrim with his guide dog, who was just at that moment being barked-at by MY dogs!
Nobody hurt, but the racket and whirling wheels and shouting was sitcom-worthy!

Stop by on your way through Moratinos... Tyrrek keeps us supplied with proper Yorkshire tea!

Are some Mamils (Middle aged men in Lycra) dangerous to pilgrims? To day while walking between Fromista and Carrion on that long straight path that runs along the road, which has a cycle lane we were almost run over by 4 or 5 groups of cyclists on the pilgrim path on one occasion, on he only hill on that road, they never gave any warning and whilst doing in excess of 20mph scattered pilgrims everywhere on the hill. I have helped cyclists several times this trip, but today I was so close to sticking my pole in their spokes that it frightened me. What is the penalty in Spain for sticking you pole in someone's spokes?
A penalty for me would be loosing one of my poles. But it was oh so tempting a few times. Once I came within an inch of accidentally doing it when the second biker came whooshing by just as I was regaining my balance and moving back into the path.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The other side of this story is that sometimes the bikes do have bells but the pilgrim just doesn't hear them. When I walked I was engrossed in my own thoughts, chatting with another pilgrim, or just focusing on the sounds of nature when oops, there was a bicycle with a bell right behind me.

Mamils? Seriously? HAHHAHAA!!!! Mamils and then also MaWils (?) are always dangerous! Just ask the fashion police :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was never annoyed by the bikes in the early stages but as I got closer and closer to the end I learned what everyone was complaining about. It is a shame that that happens. So many bikers who gave no warnings. One even asked us to move aside into the rocks and mud so they could get by on their mountain bike.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back