• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Manaslu circuit---anyone done it?

newfydog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
We're heading to Nepal next week to trek up the Tsum valley and hopefully around the Manaslu circuit. Nepali treks are sort of like a camino, except there are more religious sites. Lots of prayer wheels to spin. The tea houses are rather like an albergue,

We did the Annapurna circuit years ago, and it was one of the best trips ever, but with my 60th birthday next month I thought I'd better do some of these hard ones soon.

Have any of the intrepid hikers on this board done the route? Any favorite places?

manaslu.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not me personally. But some local folks have been in that area. Make sure you have very good travel insurance coverage. Read the coverage of the Sherpas killed in the ice fall?

This sounds like an incredible trip. Wish I could assist.

Is the photo of the Annapurna Circuit? This is one of my options for next summer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This sounds like an incredible trip. Wish I could assist.

Is the photo of the Annapurna Circuit? This is one of my options for next summer.

The photo is clipped from something on the Manaslu circuit. We did the Annapurna in 1995, and all my pictures are slides! The Manaslu circuit is next door to the Annapurna and they share a common section for a few days. Road development has shortened the Annapurna circuit considerably. In the Manaslu region, we are looking for a route not entirely over run by tourists and development. Sound familiar??? I'll see if the rumors of the Annapurna losing some of its charm are true. Certainly, I would avoid anything in the Everest region.

Kitzambler, I appreciate your concern, but neither of these sightseeing routes have any significant ice fall hazard. They have passes above 17,000 feet and you see some nice glaciers, but there is no technical climbing and you don't pass under any hanging glaciers. Freak things are always possible though. On the Annapurna route a mudslide wiped out a village the day after we left it, killing 17 people, including some Canadians we rode in with.

Edit: As we speak, it looks like a blizzard trapped a number of people out there, some climbers died in avalanches, and a trekker was washed down a river. That's pretty much what we saw on our trek in 1995. Normally the Oct-November weather is remarkably stable , but a storm can roll through. We had 25 days of blue sky and sun, and two days of incredible snowstorm. We just stayed put in a safe town for a few days and waited for the sun to come out and the snow to stabilize.

Last edited:
I did the trekking to the Annapurna base camp (4400 mts, 13200 F) in 199x and I had problems with my acclimatization to the altitude. This factor, no matter if you are in a good shape, is important to consider before doing these routes.

I did the trekking to the Annapurna base camp (4400 mts, 13200 F) in 199x and I had problems with my acclimatization to the altitude. This factor, no matter if you are in a good shape, is important to consider before doing these routes.

You're tougher than you think---that's 14,426 feet!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We're heading to Nepal next week to trek up the Tsum valley and hopefully around the Manaslu circuit. Nepali treks are sort of like a camino, except there are more religious sites. Lots of prayer wheels to spin. The tea houses are rather like an albergue,

We did the Annapurna circuit years ago, and it was one of the best trips ever, but with my 60th birthday next month I thought I'd better do some of these hard ones soon.

Have any of the intrepid hikers on this board done the route? Any favorite places?

View attachment 14396
We walked Manaslu last year, plus Annapurna. We walked the Tilman Pass and Lang Tang Valley in May this year. See our blog: megandmarksmith@blogspot.com

Nice blog, and heck of a trip! Wow, has the Annapurna circuit changed!

When we did it 19 years ago it was a week of trekking to get from where you got the jeep in Muktinath to Pokara.

The Manaslu-Tsum trip was great. I'd say the Manaslu and Tsum areas are at about the stage of development the Annapurna was in 19 years ago. Our 60+ year old crew did great, and we would have liked to continued around the Annapurna with the new lux accommodations and food, but we wanted to fit in a jungle trip too, so we turned left and picked up a jeep in Chamje. It was 22 days all together.

It was sad to see the big dam project in the lower Marsyandi. I'd recommend anyone who wants to see the Annapurna area today do it they way JM Smith went.

nep8.JPG

nep2.JPG

nep4.JPG

nep5.JPG

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back