• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mande'?

Time of past OR future Camino
Partial Frances (2018)
Full Frances 2022 (May-Jun)
I live on the US-Mexico border. When Spanish speakers are conversing and they didn't catch what the other person said, they say mande'? It has no direct translation but it means "what?" or "repeat please". I know that this phrase/term is not used anywhere else. What do you say in Spain when you didn't catch what the speaker said?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
¿Cómo? should suffice and it's perfectly understandable in Spain - and elsewhere, for that matter. Plus it's very polite and works with anyone regardless of whether you are using the formal usted, informal or the plural vosotros(as) forms of address:) And, of course ¿Perdón? - which politely says "Excuse me?"

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, indeed. But know that it is widely used and accepted - by all classes, in Mexico, and understood to only mean "What did you just say?".

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That’s what I say to my grandchildren 😁
In Costa Rica, we do sometimes use mandé. Also como and qué. It depends who you are taking to!

I live on the US-Mexico border. When Spanish speakers are conversing and they didn't catch what the other person said, they say mande'? It has no direct translation but it means "what?" or "repeat please". I know that this phrase/term is not used anywhere else. What do you say in Spain when you didn't catch what the speaker said?
This past August, Mande just automatically came out of my mouth most times. And that didn't seem to be a problem. When I remembered, I'd ask como or que.

'Mande' is not exclusive to Mexico; it's used in other countries too. In fact, it was used in Spanish too, but it has now gone out of fashion. It became very popular decades ago thanks to puppet 'Doña Rogelia', who used to say it a lot.

She says it here around minute 1.30

Despite the popular belief that this expression appeared in the Americas during colonial times, there is no evidence to support this theory. Apparently, the expression is actually older than that and it comes from Catalan. It was used among equals, especially older people. So, no submission or servitude in the origins of this word.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
'Mande' is not exclusive to Mexico; it's used in other countries too. In fact, it was used in Spanish too, but it has now gone out of fashion. It became very popular decades ago thanks to puppet 'Doña Rogelia', who used to say it a lot.

She says it here around minute 1.30

Despite the popular belief that this expression appeared in the Americas during colonial times, there is no evidence to support this theory. Apparently, the expression is actually older than that and it comes from Catalan. It was used among equals, especially older people. So, no submission or servitude in the origins of this word.
According to some research (https://algarabia.com/de-donde-viene-la-costumbre-de-responder-mande/): Al parecer, esta expresión se usa desde los tiempos del Virreinato, y era la manera en que las castas inferiores —mestizos, indios— mostraban su sumisión a las personas de castas superiores —blancos, criollos—; también hay quien afirma que esta habla ceremoniosa es heredada de las maneras del náhuatl. Lo que sí es que, aunque mucha gente asegura que implica una actitud servil, es más bien una manera de cortesía que matiza una respuesta directa como «¿qué?».

Also: https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-45291338

El diccionario de la Real Academia Española (RAE) no tiene alguna acepción particular para esta forma del verbo mandar.
Pero la AML (Academia Mexicana de la Lengua) sí lo reconoce como una expresión usada en el español de México, la cual, señala, se usa "para responder al llamamiento de alguien".

"Que se percibe como sumisión, sí. Los extranjeros lo perciben como sumisión efectivamente, pero porque es un verbo de mandato, es un causativo de mandato y obviamente es muy fuerte", indica Company.
En algunas regiones rurales de la propia España, bien entrado el siglo XX, aún se escuchaba el "¿Mande?" como se usa en México. Y en el catalán se dice "mani'm" (mándeme) o su forma más simple, "mana?" (¿Mande?)".
Y entre ellos no tiene nada que ver con sumisión, pues se usa entre iguales, sobre todo entre personas mayores.
Por eso Company apunta: "No creo que los mexicanos lo digan por sumisión, lo dicen por respeto, que son cosas muy distintas".

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back