• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Manjarin

mayuresh

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello. There is a small village called Manjarin after Astorga, where many boards are installed which indicate the distance to certain places. I want to know how one goes about installing such a board in Manjarin, as I would like to install one indicating the distance to my native place. How much will it cost?
Please advise.
Mayuresh

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You mean paying Tomas to add an arrow to your native place? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think the sign is a Pilgrim do-it-yourself! I think we all would be interested in Tomas' response! A positive response would open him up to almost limitless additions. I am not sure he is that kind of guy...;)
If he allowed this request for a special sign (and eventually everyone else's request), the "post" itself would have to become as tall as Cruz de Ferro to accomodate them all! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walk softly there my friend... Those are his memories.

You mean paying Tomas to add an arrow to your native place? :eek:
Does it work that way ? I am sorry if I have made a wrong impression. But if at all one were to fix an arrow , of course with his permission , it will cost something. So I just wanted to know that figure. Whether he will permit , is an entirely different issue.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Does it work that way ? I am sorry if I have made a wrong impression. But if at all one were to fix an arrow , of course with his permission , it will cost something. So I just wanted to know that figure. Whether he will permit , is an entirely different issue.
I am going to take your first post as 'Inquisitive fantasy' - I'm sure that's what was intended with a tad of humor?
I have met Tomas but only once - Still , as far as your special indicator on his piece of modern colloquial history , I would say no chance in hell - no amount would buy your indicator.
As far as a new pole is concered .... ? who Knows? As other members say , you would have to as him.:eek::D

I am going to take your first post as 'Inquisitive fantasy' - I'm sure that's what was intended with a tad of humor?
I have met Tomas but only once - Still , as far as your special indicator on his piece of modern colloquial history , I would say no chance in hell - no amount would buy your indicator.
As far as a new pole is concered .... ? who Knows? As other members say , you would have to as him.:eek::D

And from what I know and read about him his answer could be long or short, nice or euh less nice,making that particular etapa at least an interesting one...:cool:
Mucha suerte...

I don't think it works anyway other than that is his property and not a gimmik he has developed to make money by renting locations on his post.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Everyone.
My apologies to all of you. Looks like I have conveyed a wrong idea with my question. I do not want to / think of paying Mr. Tomas for having an arrow fixed in Manjarin. I just wanted to know how much such a board might cost. Trying to pay someone for installing an arrow in a foreign land , that too , to a person who has dedicated his entire life for a specific cause , was not my intention. I fully respect everybody's comments , and apologise once again. From what I have read about Mr. Tomas , I am very curious to meet , spend some time with him , and then continue with the Camino. To get to meet him is going to be a privilege in itself - and I cannot even dream of offering him anything other than my respect and best wishes. From my experience , people who are dedicated to any specific cause , do not try any gimmicks to make money out of it. So , sorry once again.
Muchas Gracias y buena suerte.

Hello Everyone.
My apologies to all of you. Looks like I have conveyed a wrong idea with my question. I do not want to / think of paying Mr. Tomas for having an arrow fixed in Manjarin. I just wanted to know how much such a board might cost. Trying to pay someone for installing an arrow in a foreign land , that too , to a person who has dedicated his entire life for a specific cause , was not my intention. I fully respect everybody's comments , and apologise once again. From what I have read about Mr. Tomas , I am very curious to meet , spend some time with him , and then continue with the Camino. To get to meet him is going to be a privilege in itself - and I cannot even dream of offering him anything other than my respect and best wishes. From my experience , people who are dedicated to any specific cause , do not try any gimmicks to make money out of it. So , sorry once again.
Muchas Gracias y buena suerte.

I understand what you are asking @mayuresh. As you read through the various threads about Manjarin (maybe you have already :)), you'll get an impression of this unique place and the many opinions and different experiences that people have had there. You will understand this more clearly when you are there. I hope you get a chance to meet Tomas, and if it feels right, ask your question about a board. I had a good experience meeting him and talking with him but others have not. I have a sense that he may not be open to adding your board but this is something that can only be answered between you and Tomas. As @jerbear said "walk softly there". Buen Camino.

Last edited:
I understand what you are asking @mayuresh. As you read through the various threads about Manjarin (maybe you have already :)), you'll get an impression of this unique place and the many opinions and different experiences that people have had there. You will understand this more clearly when you are there. I hope you get a chance to meet Tomas, and if it feels right, ask your question about a board. I had a good experience meeting him and talking with him but others have not. I have a sense that he may not be open to adding your board but this is something that can only be answered between you and Tomas. As @jerbear said "walk softly there". Buen Camino.
Thank you very much Sir.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
By the sounds of your request I believe we all, through experience, know your inquiry was without malicious intent. Many of us have met Tomas through the years and (many) have apparently felt the same vibe surrounding him. I found him to be a "unique" individual.
Either way he is a business man and has a memorable location that many quite clearly remember due to it's uniqueness and signage.
No need for apologies.

Buen Camino

I believe we all, through experience, know your inquiry was without malicious intent
Quite, but the concept was somewhere between putting a piece of gravel on a mojone, and graffiti. "I was here" has been around for thousands of years, and adding one's hometown to a signpost is a classical "I was here" activity. It appeals to many, I agree, but I always settle for just knowing I was there; I don't need to inform everyone after me.:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you made up a board like the ones you see in the photos, and carried it with you on your camino all the way to Manjarin and presented it to Tomas with a big smile, I bet he'd put it up with the rest of them. Someday. When he gets around to it.
If you're pretty, and tell him how special this is to you.
He's not a bad guy!

If you made up a board like the ones you see in the photos, and carried it with you on your camino all the way to Manjarin and presented it to Tomas with a big smile, I bet he'd put it up with the rest of them. Someday. When he gets around to it.
He's not a bad guy!
Yes, I've heard he likes the pretty, young gals. Not sure if that is entirely true, but it was an observation noticed by a few older gals on the forum. I've never met him myself, but I always moved on to an albergue with flush toilets and was glad I passed Tomas' place earlier in the day!

He's not a bad guy!
Disqualifies me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Interesting post. Might be worth visiting Manjarin and then deciding whether to invest a lot of time and effort into this quest. Some pilgrims love Manjarin and some don't. It's an interesting, rustic and picturesque place. I call in and leave a small donation when walking through but make sure my visit is not late in the day because I have no intention of ever staying there. Happy to admit I am a woman of a certain age.

Last edited:
We never thought about asking. Duh! That's a great idea though. We just returned from the Camino and we simply made a small sign, took it with us, and gave it to Thomas. He seemed excited! He and another man working with him put it up right away. IMG_9606.JPG IMG_9614.JPG

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
. Saw it as soon as it was posted. Distance calculated on Google maps. Wodden board cut out. Will get it ready in few days. Will carry it along.
I hear the concern for the # of signs to go crazy, yet I think it is so much fun! Blessings to you on your journey!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank
I hear the concern for the # of signs to go crazy, yet I think it is so much fun! Blessings to you on your journey!
Thank you very much for your blessings. The actual walk on the holy path is the main focus. All the other things are just elements to make it more memorable. I have learnt some Spanish also , to be able to talk to the locals. Hope to enjoy that as well. But spontaneous blessings like your's are the best thing I will get on the Camino. Thanks once again.

Thank
Thank you very much for your blessings. The actual walk on the holy path is the main focus. All the other things are just elements to make it more memorable. I have learnt some Spanish also , to be able to talk to the locals. Hope to enjoy that as well. But spontaneous blessings like your's are the best thing I will get on the Camino. Thanks once again.
we just returned on Thursday. I walked with my family. My husband and our 5 kids (ages 14 to 21). It was incredible!
We had a few other things as well! :) You can leave a rock just before you leave your sign so you can really lighten your load on this day!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.