• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Manuel Rossi recovering from COVID-19

• Thread starter Deleted member 73526
  • Start date
OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 73526

Manuel Rossi (president of the association of the Camino de Ucles) posted a video message to Facebook from hospital today:

You might know Manuel as the president of the Amigos of the Camino de Ucles, which leads into the Camino de Madrid. If you spend time looking into less well-known Caminos, you will come across videos of him making ceramic tiles with all the flags of the world, repairing vandalized mojons, and welcoming pilgrims to the Camino. I haven't walked this way yet, and I haven't met Manuel in person, but it's on my list. To me, the essence of the Camino is people like Manuel who put so much into it.

Today, on Day 24 with COVID-19, he is getting by without supplemental oxygen for the first time since his condition deteriorated. He's on the mend! The video mentions Maria - I assume his wife - who is also getting better.

I felt very heartened to see this, even though he and Maria haven't fully recovered yet. I wanted to share his post so that you can wish him well.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maria and Manuel are dear friends totally dedicated to the Camino de Uclés.
I was very sad to see them in such a difficult situation caused by the Coronavirus.
Fortunately, they are getting better and will make it back stronger than ever.
I wish them a quick recovery and give them the biggest virtual hug.
Ànimo!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will keep my candle burning for Manuel and Maria as they depart hospital together and, also for all the peoples of Spain who are facing such challenges at present . I see by reading the posts and listening to Manuel, that all is still not 100% with them both, especially Manuel....Love and Camino Blessings and prayer to both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
An update - It appears that Manuel was readmitted to hospital after a relapse. He has recovered and is back home again after 44 days of battling this virus. It just shows how tough COVID-19 can be to shake off:

He went back into hospital again ( day 61), he posted an update on the Ucles Facebook yesterday. He is having difficulty breathing again and his Oxygen levels had dropped low. He shared his thoughts and he is not in good place understandably, he is mentally tired and weary of this ongoing fight for life.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, no.
Prayers for his healing and complete recovery.
( I don't have Facebook. Is there any way to get word to him and Maria that people out here are praying for him and wishing him well?)

I don't have Facebook. Is there any way to get word to him and Maria that people out here are praying for him and wishing him well?
You could send a message to the Ucles association email address
asociacionamigoscaminodeucles@gmail.com

He has said that the messages of support that he receives are what's keeping him going. I'm sure that he will be heartened to hear from people in this community. I'm just stunned by the viciousness of this virus.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you, Raggy.
Will do.

I am wondering if this is still happening, or if Fr Manny (or anyone) says intercessionary prayers at the Cathedral in Santiago.
@SYates, @JohnnieWalker, @natefaith ... anyone know?

I ask, not only because the world is in such a state but because of Manuel.
It sounds like he could use some extra and special prayers right now....

Recent articles about long-term effects of COVID-19 have helped me to understand what Manuel may be going through. Keep sending Manuel your best wishes:

‘Finally, a virus got me.’ Scientist who fought Ebola and HIV reflects on facing death from COVID-19 (Science magazine)
Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted.

What life becomes when covid-19 won’t go away (paywall - Washington Post)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/09/seven-weeks-with-coronavirus/?arc404=true
My family stands in the doorway to visit sometimes, and other people text or call. “Are you feeling better yet?” It’s like they’re becoming impatient.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Day 67 of his struggle with coronavirus , Manuel has been released from hospital. I'm going to share his humorous message in the COVID humor thread: "Goodbye, hospital. But look out - I'm leaving Wilson!"

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 02.12.03.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was looking for something on covid and the camino and somehow got onto Manuel Rossi’s facebook page. I can’t even begin to recount his ailments and his numerous hospitalizations. He is back in the hospital now. It is very painful to read,, because he goes into very detailed explanation of how his body is failing him. He is now entering his 14th month with illnesses that no one can even begin to understand.

Wishing Manuel better days ahead and a sense of hope. This virus is not to be dismissed...nor the variants. Good health to all!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Several of us are enjoying Álvaro Lazaga’s posts as he returns home to Benidorm from Santiago. He’s well over 2,000 kms now and still has hundreds more.

Today’s video, on the Ucles, has a snippet that will make you smile. Manuel Rossi, with crutches, but walking, met with Álvaro for a beer. Talk about tenacity! Wishing him a continued recovery.

Miguel appears at about 1 minute 45 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.