• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Many many problems on the Camino and the learning that came

Jermann75

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018
Hello all,

I'm back from the Camino for a couple of months now but I've just started to post my journey to my blog. I would love it if you would subscribe to get the updates. A little teaser of some of the issues I experienced:
  1. Blisters and infected blisters.
  2. 3 rounds of bed bugs (last bout was my last night on the Camino with over 100 bites).
  3. A kidney stone and hospitalization in Leon.
  4. My backpack was thrown in the garbage.
The blog is located here:

With all the breakdowns I sure learned a ton along the way which I will also be sharing. I hope you enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[*]Blisters and infected blisters.
[*]3 rounds of bed bugs (last bout was my last night on the Camino with over 100 bites).
[*]A kidney stone and hospitalization in Leon.
[*]My backpack was thrown in the garbage.

Wow sounds like you went thru a lot. Happy you made it thru and in good spirits. Congratulations 🎈

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kidney stones and passing them, no fun but having them surgically removed can also be horrendous.

(From one who knows ! 😕😉)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow. You went through a lot. Congratulations. And may you heal well!

And a gentle nudge...maybe your thread title is tongue in cheek, and if so, please forgive me.
But it's not only you who has persevered through extreme challenges - there are plenty of people out there who have experienced as much or worse. People who have broken bones, lost all their belongings, walked with disability or terminal disease. The camino is teeming with heroes, most of whom don't say anything about it.

And a gentle nudge...maybe your thread title is tongue in cheek, and if so, please forgive me.
But it's not only you who has persevered through extreme challenges - there are plenty of people out there who have experienced as much or worse. People who have broken bones, lost all their belongings, walked with disability or terminal disease. The camino is teeming with heroes, most of whom don't say anything about it.

I’ve changed the title now as I note your point.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Those of you in the US who are old enough to remember the TV show "Hee-Haw" will remember Junior Samples singing the song, "If It Weren't Fer Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck At All." But seriously, I'm sorry you had to endure those difficulties, and I hope overall that you can look back and see the Camino as a positive experience.

Hello all,

I'm back from the Camino for a couple of months now but I've just started to post my journey to my blog. I would love it if you would subscribe to get the updates. A little teaser of some of the issues I experienced:
  2. 3 rounds of bed bugs (last bout was my last night on the Camino with over 100 bites).

With all the breakdowns I sure learned a ton along the way which I will also be sharing. I hope you enjoy!
Where were the bedbugs?

Where were the bedbugs?
They can be anywhere, @Cybermum, particularly as the season progresses into autumn and waves of peregrinos have moved along the way.
One place may not have them now and have them next week, and vice versa. So no-one can (or should) point the finger at a given albergue. The situation is way too fluid to be doing that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can sympathize with the many bites. Similar to my situation in 2015 1 day out of Santiago on the Sanabrese. As I recall telling my friends, I must have slept in the one bunk where the bedbugs held a fiesta. I was covered and taxied to Santiago for immediate help. There hasn't been a camino for me when I haven't been bitten, but that time was something else. Ironically, I believe Kinkie tried to warn me about a certain bunk and for some reason I was just too exhausted to care, and it was the last bunk. lol now I know why!

Hello all,

Hi, I linked to your blog and would love to follow the rest. Have you posted more?

They can be anywhere, @Cybermum, particularly as the season progresses into autumn and waves of peregrinos have moved along the way.
One place may not have them now and have them next week, and vice versa. So no-one can (or should) point the finger at a given albergue. The situation is way too fluid to be doing that.

I have to agree... My husband was sleeping on the top bunk of my bed and I on the bottom. He received no bites and me 100+. After having 3 bouts of them, I knew the gestation period for me so I knew the last place I got them but I won't mention the name. I will say that I took the blanket that they offered (I had NEVER done this in the past but this time I did (sigh...).

Also, if I do this again, I will take the top bunk every time. My theory is that there are more on the bottom bunk. No idea if this is true.

Rather a negative response ...

Yes, @Jermann75 I agree that the top bunk is safer! I don't know if it is just percentages, because I usually try to get a bottom bunk, but I've never been bitten when I sleep on the top.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, @Jermann75 I agree that the top bunk is safer! I don't know if it is just percentages, because I usually try to get a bottom bunk, but I've never been bitten when I sleep on the top.
Not sure about that Kanga.....one of our group last year in April/May, always slept in a top bunk and she was the only one of us who got bitten and, I might add, had quite a nasty reaction to her bites which were mainly across her chest, back and down one arm in particular.

The only time that I saw bed bugs in an albergue was on the bunk above mine, and one was also crawling up the wall above the bunk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back