• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Many pilgrims at the moment, why?

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
Hello,
Friends who started in Irun three days ago report back to me that there are much more pilgrims on the Norte than expected. Up till now they had difficulties finding a place to stay and had to take a bus once to the next place.
Does anybody know an explanation for this crowdedness in this period?
My wife and I will fly to Bilbao on the 12th of may and start our walk probably there ( or in Irun) She will not be able to walk more than 10 miles/16 kilometers per day. If it stays this busy this crowdedness maybe will be a problem for her
Could members of this forum who start out on the Camino del Norte in the next week's report back to the forum how the situation develops and if pilgrims don't find a bed in albergues? The answer to this question can be useful to us,perhaps we will be looking for an alternative.
Many thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
May 1st is a public holiday in Spain. Many people take advantage of this day falling so early in the week by making a long weekend break - perhaps also taking Friday off work. A phenomenon known in Spanish as a "puente". So it is likely that after Tuesday things will quieten down a lot.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I arrive at Biarritz on the 1st May and was going to get the bus/coach from the airport down to Irun. If it's a Public Holiday will this service still be running?

Yes, but on the school holiday/fete schedule. Chronobus doesn't go that far but the train runs to Hendaye just across the border. There is a bus company that operates from the airport to Irun, I think is called something like Transport 86. I could not find it when I looked on Rome2rio.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It sounds like we could be headed for another record year.
I can attest to the large crowds. Slept on a gymnasium floor in Zubiri last night at the municipal, and then quickly made reservations at the wonderful Albergue de Pamplona which is where I am now. As of right now, Pamplona looks like a busy day at Disney World. . Be prepared, the Camino keeps you on your toes this weekend...but still provides!!

I arrive at Biarritz on the 1st May and was going to get the bus/coach from the airport down to Irun. If it's a Public Holiday will this service still be running?
I finally remembered the name of the bus company from the airport to hendaye. It is transportes 64 and the bus you need is the 816. There is schedule on line and the first day they return to service is 1 May and it looks like it is about every hour.

Cheers Don, just hope as its a Public Holiday in France as well on the 1st of May there will be a bus running. I will try and check on line now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The numbers around 14.00hr today where almost 600 .

I read just now that the final total for yesterday was over 1100. Big numbers. Hard to imagine but last summer a new record was set when 2,700 Compostelas were issued in a single day. In the first year I walked there were less than 5,000 issued in the whole year!

Roncevaux on Saturday night was full by 1.30 ish, couldnt get a bed between there and pamplona on sunday so needed to taxi to pamplona. There are so many people!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Guys, aren't we mixing up the Camino del Norte and the Francés? As for the Norte, I live in Ribadesella and have seen a lot of pilgrims as well as in the train as in town. I wonder where they all stay, because there aren't many albergues on this stretch. Yes, we have a 'puente' right now (for people from Madrid this lasts until Wednesday), and Ribadesella is full of tourists, but I also saw quite a lot of foreign pilgrims, who will most likely stay on the Camino after the puente.

The weather is terrible, by the way. Lots of rain and too cold for the time of the year...

I am on the camino San Salvador and even that is busy!! 7 pilgrims each night as opposed to almost alone on the Camino de Madrid. Minimal snow at Pajares by the way today and perfect weather.

I’ve just finished a stretch of the Camino Del Norte from Bilbao to Llanes. The only place where we ran into a wave of pilgrims was Santillana but it was a Sunday night. The Convento Albergue filled up quickly and then the municipal so by 6pm no albergue beds left. We then booked private accommodation in Comillas (with central heating because it was cold and very wet). Otherwise it was the same 20 or so Pilgrims. No one felt it was especially busy. Indeed some people elected to go home early as the weather was so pants. And I did meet a couple of people who had come over from the Frances because of the crowds.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Today I did a little hike on the Camino del Norte, from Pendueles to Llanes. Spoke to a pilgrim who started in Irun. He said that it sometimes had been difficult to find a bed, but so far it wasn't a real problem. He had been sharing rooms with other pilgrims when the albergues were full and then paid 20 euro per person instead of 15.

In Gurenika as we speak in the youth hostel, have had no accomodation problems. The Spanish long weekend probably caused a shortage of accomodation.

I'm in Lourenza now having started in Irun on April 11. No real crowds to speak of... The only place it's been tricky for an albergue so far has been in Gijon, as the Municipal has closed and now the closest one open is at the campsite, and in Ribadeo as there are only 12 places. If you're traveling as a couple, you shouldn't have problems though, as you can quite easily find a pensión for €30, not much more than the albergues which run €10-12 per person.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back