• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Map My Walk (Phone App)

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
I have begun using the Smart Phone "Map My Walk" on my iPhone, I am very impressed with this application which plots on a map your route and average speed, it even provides calories burned. During the walk it will announce your progress every mile (1.6 Km). The App links back to a WEB page which can be reviewed at a later date, and friends can see your progress in real time ( if you allow it) , I plan to use a Spanish SIM with data (roaming Data is outrageously expensive).

Has anyone used this App on the Camino? Does it work? What did you think.?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mate was thinking of doing something similar but using a Garmin GPS watch or portable GPS device. I am in the process of exploring options. I like the idea of the iPhone GPS app.

Regardless of the device used, some considerations are:
  • Battery life (ie how many hours will your iPhone run with the app, GPS running and internet data going - suggest you test before you go) and will this cover your longest day's walk,
    Will the app track height (if you are interested in this),
    What power charging backup options do you have if you can't get a full charge in your accommodation (such as solar charger and whether the additional weight is acceptable),
    Storage of track map / route information on the phone (ie how many hours / miles will it store),
    How many days / miles of trip data does the app keep offsite (if any),
    How do you extract that information to use it in something useful later such as Google earth.

Local sim card is a good idea. Of course ensure you get the right size sim card (assume your iPhone uses a mini sim).

Would be keen to hear how you go. I am also happy to share my track map with anyone else who is interested, next year when I've completed my next Camino.

Final note is that there are a number of other Google earth track maps available for those that are interested. Happy to share what I have or you can just do a Google search.

Cheers,

Jason.

Hi I have used the app on walks at home.

Battery life has been better than expected, on a 2 1/2 hr walk the iPhone went from 100% to 83%,

All saved walks can be reviewed online.

This app seems to rely on the phone data network but does not appear to use much data, I have only tested in a good phone reception area, I am not sure how well it will work within a weak phone signal area.

I wave walked 3 full caminos and have always found a way to charge my phone, I did have a solar charger for Camino No. 1 that was left in a donation box after week one in an effort to reduce pack weight (it was never missed)

I like the idea to have all technology in one device phone/ music/ GPS/ email/ Facebook/ Internet etc, less to carry :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did a couple of Garmin GPS traces, but never looked at them a second time, or figured out what to do with them. I found a hotel once, but it did not have all the hotels even though I had purchased the Spain road maps. It was a great gadget, but not of particular use. Google Maps on my iPhone 3GS came in handy a couple of times, but used up a lot of data allotment from Vodafone. I plan to review my technology needs vs. wants, and be more selective next time. It wasn't a lot of weight, but it is more than cutting the handle off a toothbrush!

I used Map My Run every day of my pilgrimage and then printed the 59 maps (I'm slow) at home. Worked flawlessly except for one thing: my (iPhone) version, when paused, has a huge "SAVE" button in the middle of the screen. Whenever I accidentally brushed this "SAVE" button I was forced to save the partial walk because there's no provision for a "whoops." Then I had to record the rest of the walk separately and eventually piece together two maps. I've asked them to correct this many times. Still, it works fine and makes nice maps.

I used the MapMyHIKE on the Camino Norte last May from Irun to Ribadsella. You can look up all my maps by putting gaulsdog into the search on the MapMyHIKE web page.
I like it, it’s nice to be able to look back on the walk afterwards.
I was running it in an iphone 4s but the battery life is terrible, if you take photos with the phone or just using the phone for web or messaging it gobbles the battery, I mostly use whatsapp for communicating home.
I carry 2 spare batteries bought on eBay, wouldn’t go out with out them even at home and two days on the Camino I was on the last battery.
I never stayed in an Albergue; if you do you might find it difficult to charge them all unless you can harness the power of the bed bug.

gaulsdog

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My best eight ounce accessory was my Zagg battery. It holds three to four iPhone charges, so I was never at the mercy of a dead battery on the trail or in the albergue. It charges on any outlet with an adapter, and is a lot less attractive for theft than the phone. At half the weight of my sleeping bag, I had to do a lot of convincing on myself the first camino. It was so handy that there was do doubt on the next ones. My sleeping bag stayed home...

From what I can see Map-My-Walk, Map-My-Hike, and Map-My-Run are almost the same application as far as functions go, the only difference that I can see is the target audience?

I am glad to hear that it worked well, those who said they had used it, did you have a Data enabled SIM card ?

Spare batteries for an iphone? Surely you have to basically disassemble an iphone to get to the battery. I gather that this is is a very technical exercise. I would be grateful more information on this please, as I can see it being a decision changer.
allan

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
ffp13 said:
From what I can see Map-My-Walk, Map-My-Hike, and Map-My-Run are almost the same application as far as functions go, the only difference that I can see is the target audience?

I am glad to hear that it worked well, those who said they had used it, did you have a Data enabled SIM card ?

I use the app at home often. I did not try it on the camino I didn't know it would map in Spain.
My thoughts:
1. It is a real battery hog and not sure how many hours you would be able to log per day.

2. I turn off data and wifi after it is running and it seems to work fine so a data card should not be needed. I will double check this and post.

3. The three "Map my...." apps do appear to be basically the same.

Al the optimist said:
Spare batteries for an iphone? Surely you have to basically disassemble an iphone to get to the battery. I gather that this is is a very technical exercise. I would be grateful more information on this please, as I can see it being a decision changer.
allan

The spare iPhone battery is an external add-on, there are two versions that I have seen, both are 3rd party phone accessorise that connect to the power/data connector at the bottom of the phone. They readily available on eBay at very cheap prices. They available for many different smart phones, and can use your existing charger, if you don't have a EU charger they too are available very small and very cheap, much easier than power adapter for around the same price.

grayland said:
1. It is a real battery hog and not sure how many hours you would be able to log per day.

2. I turn off data and wifi after it is running and it seems to work fine so a data card should not .

1. On my recent 2 1/2 hr walks it used from a full charge under 20% of my phone battery, I will test it for a longer period and post the result?

2. I believe the maps are downloaded and not stored on the phone?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ffp13 said:
grayland said:

2. I turn off data and wifi after it is running and it seems to work fine so a data card should not .

1. On my recent 2 1/2 hr walks it used from a full charge under 20% of my phone battery, I will test it for a longer period and post the result?

2. I believe the maps are downloaded and not stored on the phone?

I do think the maps are downloaded and there is no need to be connected to the internet via data or wifi when using. It seems to work that way for me.

Thus....you would not need to buy an expensive data card on the Camino...again I will double check this and post. Maybe someone else can also try it without any internet link and post back.

The i phone 4s certainly uses up battery power and if you are running a web based pedometer connected to MapMyHike by blue tooth even worse.
Just buy 2 of these on eBay before you leave .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1900mAh-PORTA ... 43b2ad1fd3

And trow them into your back pack and you will never be short of power, when you power runs low you just slip the phone into to it and you will get recharged again, their cheap light and does every thing you need, no need to bother with that big heavy expensive awkward to use zag rubbish.

You will also need a data chip to use if you want to look at the map on MapMyHike as you are going along, although it will record you trek using GPS it wont show you where you are.

You can easily pick up a data chip in Lovely Spain for a few euros, or their is lots of companies selling add ons for you own number to use data abroad

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 1900mAh PORTABLE EXTERNAL POWER PACK charges only from a USB port. You will need a computer or a USB charger in addition to the pack. The Zagg products charge from an electrical outlet, which is about four times faster than a USB port. The 1900mAh power pack weighs 2.25 ounces. The smallest Zagg is 4 oz. The power pack recharges only an iPhone. The Zagg recharges anything you attach by a USB cable. I used it for my FitBit pedometer, another cell phone, and my iPhone. If you need more than one charge while on the trail, the 1900mAh charger will not be enough.

The products are substantially different, so you need to analyze your needs. My Zagg was great, but at 8 oz., a definite luxury!

Moderator note: This post has been edited to remove personal attack statements.
The poster is cautioned and warned to carefully look at the forum rules posted at the top of the page.

There is no problem charging the iphone external power pack from the same transformer socket that charges your iphone (if you have one)

This power pack is the only thing you need to go with, no need for cables hanging out of anything to recharge, just slip you I phone into the slim neat light power pack and stick it back in your pocket, most of the time the second back up is not require but if you are still out after about 11 hours walking you will need to move on to the second power pack I have walked extensively using this method never had a problem, my record is their to be seen as proof.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thw Zagg battery is 8.6oz (wow)
Retail price as per manafacture $130.00
Takes 9 Hours to recharge fully
Cables hanging every where just to get power to your phone.

Have fun

The Zagg is heavy, so should be considered a luxury. Only the initial charging takes 9 hours. The 220v Spanish power recharged it in an hour or two. I used a very short cable, about 4 inches, to recharge my iPhone from it while hiking. The retail price in the U.S. for the top Zagg model is $100. I was able to get three charges from the Zagg before it needed recharging. They advertise "up to 4 charges," so it comes close to the hype. It has two USB ports, so two items can be charged at the same time, if it is necessary, and they can be charged while the Zagg is plugged in charging.
The ZAGGsparq is the winner of 2 CES Innovations Awards
If you need a backup external battery, it is a worthy invention!

Thank you for contacting ZAGG, home of the invisibleSHIELD and iFrogz! My name is Christian and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

In regards to your email, it will only take the ZAGGsparq 2.0 about 6-8 hours to recharge once it is completely out of battery. I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact us back with any questions or concerns. Our phone number is toll free at 800-700-ZAGG. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Mountain Time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the input everyone. Just received 2 of the 1900aAh batteries from Amazon for £10. Have put mapmywalk onto my phone and will try it out sometime.
Still not sure that I will be using on the Camino, but it gives me something to do until I go! (well we have to fill our non Camino days up somehow don't we)
allan

A half-pound battery is a lot to carry to accommodate an app! I only did it because I had multiple devices, all pretty lightweight, that I wanted to be able to charge at my convenience. Every time I hefted the Zagg, I had second thoughts about having brought it!

The Zagg charges faster in Spain (and other 220v countries):
Thank you for contacting ZAGG and iFrogz, where we are Zealous About Great Gadgets! My name is Moises L. and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Typically with the ZAGGsparq it will take about 8 hours with the 120v to fully charge. Spain has 220v so it should only require half that time.
That explains my quick recharging time on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For the price of a Zagg battery you can look at GPS units. My Garmin Dakota runs twenty hours on two AA batteries. A cheapo phone and nice GPS might be a good way to go.

I the Iphone Or ipad I use MotionX GPS. The downloaded maps and good GPS functions saved our butts on a recent trip to Cuba, where GPS units are illegal and there are very few road signs.

Very few electronic devices require voltage transformers anymore. Like my iPhone, the Zagg accepts either 110v or 220v.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The information is from Zagg, and it also was my experience that the battery charged twice as fast. I have a Volt electric car, and it charges twice as fast on 220v current. It was described to me like water passing through a 1" pipe or a 2" pipe. Twice as much flows through the 2" pipe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
newfydog said:
... My Garmin Dakota runs twenty hours on two AA batteries...
And it will probably run two or three times longer than that if you use AA lithium batteries. Same for cameras that use AA batteries.

Another example of a dual voltage item that operates more quickly on 220v power:
Travel with the Dual Voltage Heating Coil and you'll never be without that morning cup of coffee. This dual voltage heater boils water for all kinds of instant beverages, and is compact enough to pack in any bag. Comes with a European adaptor plug and handy travel pouch.

Product Features:

Dual voltage - 120/240
Boils water in minutes for all kinds of instant beverages or for coffee and tea
Includes burn guard
Includes a European adaptor plug and travel pouch
Brings water to a boil in 3-5 minutes at 220V
Brings water to a boil in approximately 10 minutes at 110V

€83,-
I have been testing the battery time on my iPhone 5 with Map my Walk.
It is really surprising how the battery on the 5 holds up in comparison to the 4s.
My longest walk with Map my Walk active was about 11 hours and about 33 miles. The battery meter indicated 40% left.
I took Falcon's advice and bought a battery extender on Groupon. The one I got for $25.00 was the Treck 2000 by My Charge Power.com It was able to recharge the iPhone full with about 3/4 of the charge on the Treck 2000 left. I think this would be adequate for most of the needs of the Camino.
I have never had a problem keeping my iPhone charged on the Camino....but I was not running a navigation App.

I do have a confusion about the Map My Walk (and others) App.
Can I just start the App in Sevillia (VdlP) like I would in Seattle. Does it have the maps of other Countries available or do I have to download something before hand?
I have the same confusion about the Garmin GPS devices.

Will it generate and log a route in Spain? I could then post to the Map My Walk site on a daily basis. Seems too simple if it actually does work that way.

You can certainly run it in Sevilla just like you are in Seattle. I recently suffered through a forum where I was assurred the GPS would not work in Cuba. Of course, it did.

The base map is the one issue most frequently tied to online data. If you do not download base map you will not have one when you are off line.

You can still record a track. GPS is NOT dependant upon cellular data.

I use MotionX in the iPhone. It records an nice track, and with a few clicks I can email it to myself daily, creating a nice record of the day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it necessary to download a base map for MotionX? I do use Motion x and like it.
I did find some maps on the VdlP route that were posted on Map My Walk so the map is...where? Does it download to the iPhone automatically?

MotionX has a nice function to download a base map Go to menu---maps ....maps--map downloads

If you have cellular data there is no need to download a map.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.