• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Map "Puerto de Pajares" - download here

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow! :) What a great map! Smashing!
If there was a "Post of the year" prize, you would get it!

Well. I'm going to print out that map and put it on my fridge.:)

Great job, Gunnar. I think the map is clear and will help future pilgrims a lot. One thing I would suggest is posting a link to this post on the end of our part 1 and part 2 posts on the topic. That way, as these threads drop to the bottom of the cyber pile, anyone who pulls up any of the Puerto de Pajares topics will see the final resolution here in all its glory.

And here's my second to Susanna's nomination for the post of the year!

So, what will our little Salvador group do now for amusement? :( Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Clap....... clap........ clap............

Thanks a lot GunnarW that map is an extremely useful piece of info for anyone who has in mind to walk that way.

I tip my hat to you!:)

Buen Camino!

So, what will our little Salvador group do now for amusement? :( Laurie

Maybe we can start threads like:
"What is the one Albergue on the Salvador that you would say not miss?"
Or
"Wonderful meals along the Camino del Salvador"
Or
"Does one need a sleeping bag on the Salvador?"
Etc.:)

Thank you already for the compliments.
Off course the map can be forwarded to all other associations you know.
Laurie, maybe you can forward it to the Spanish forum?

I was already thinking making a map on the section Buiza - Arbas del Puerto.
There are not a lot of alternatives there (If I'm right 3 times a bypass to the N630) but it could be handy to highlight on the same way the important directions.
What do you think?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you already for the compliments.
I was already thinking making a map on the section Buiza - Arbas del Puerto.
There are not a lot of alternatives there (If I'm right 3 times a bypass to the N630) but it could be handy to highlight on the same way the important directions.
What do you think?

Or a map of Puente los Fierros - Campomanes?
That's where you could chose between the trail in the woods or walking on the pavement.
I took the way through the woods and thought it was loooong.
And no bar anywhere. And the steepest downhill in the history of mankind at the end.

Excellent piece of work Gunnar. Whatever your next project, I am sure it will be helpful.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks Gunnar, really great indeed. You have also my vote for a nomination! It's the final wrap up of the 4529 pieces of information we all put on the Pajares topics.
Yes indeed, I do need I new aim too in life while not being able to walk the camino.

The suggestion you gave about Buiza - Arbas del Puerto seems to be a good one for me too. While walking I found myself doubting about the Villamanin option. Although one will miss the one of the best parts of the Salvador, with possible bad weather it is good to have a clear picture of this route (including the bars, restaurants and lodging places ;-) )

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
and the winner is....

GunnarW, what a great map! Thank you.

PS next topic for me might be "Poladura de la Tercia - Arbas" --- as it was very tricky without the new yellow arrows. and I have never seen Arbas, by the way... The Asturian Maria and I myself had some difficult times up there finding our way...

Hello Fatma, Susanna, Laurie, Thomas, Joe,...
Thank you for the compliments.

Buiza-Arbas del Puerto or Pajares-Campomanes
I will study both. But give me some time.
Maybe other sections later.
Fatma, if you never passed Arbas del Puerto, I would like to know how you walked. Because Arbas del Puerto is always on the way. Except maybe if you shortcut a little bit before to the left and went directly to Puerto de Pajares.
But if you don't remember, we'll have you to hypnotize you again with all kind of pictures and maps.
So let's start with a new topic. I suggest we do first Buiza - Arbas del Puerto

Sounds good. If you start the new thread? As you are so good at that. :)
Then I will post a few pics.
I got some pics of "Ottos shortcut" for example. How did Otto managed to first disappear, and then suddenly turn up at 1620 meters? That's a difficult one.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sounds good. If you start the new thread? As you are so good at that. :)
Then I will post a few pics.
I got some pics of "Ottos shortcut" for example. How did Otto managed to first disappear, and then suddenly turn up at 1620 meters? That's a difficult one.

Did he climb higher on the rock at the Ender's cross?

Well, the "Otto disapeared-pictures" brought back loads of memories of the desperate wish to join Arbas.....
Gunnar, I think we tried hard to find 'the right way', so in that case it was simply a problem of not seing the (few existing) waymarks and not of 'too many alternatives'...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great you did this Gunnar! Will be sure to take it next time we walk the Salvador! ( feel sure there will be a next time... ) thank you !

Hello Fatma, Susanna, Laurie, Thomas, Joe,...
Thank you for the compliments.

Buiza-Arbas del Puerto or Pajares-Campomanes
I will study both. But give me some time.
Maybe other sections later.
Fatma, if you never passed Arbas del Puerto, I would like to know how you walked. Because Arbas del Puerto is always on the way. Except maybe if you shortcut a little bit before to the left and went directly to Puerto de Pajares.
But if you don't remember, we'll have you to hypnotize you again with all kind of pictures and maps.

the last couple of times I walked, I bypassed Arbas, too. You just keep left along the cow-pasture valley, following a faint old road. It puts you at a gate you have to climb over, right along the highway, with the Puerto right in sight. It cuts out a good half-kilometer of hiking, which is important when the sun is sinking fast...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great indeed, thanks. I would say a must for every guide!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.