• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Map

rebswifty

I need a good detailed map of the Camino. We'll be using the "French" Route. Does anyone know where I can get one? I dont' need a book, just a map.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How detailed do you want? When I first travelled the route (or, at least, the last 150km) I had been looking for something equivalent to the Ordanance Survey maps available for every inch of Great Britain: nothing came to hand.

I ended up relying on guidebook maps and, of course, the yellow arrows and waymarkers that make route-finding relatively easy.

There is a range of very detailed maps available but you would have to buy a lot to cover the whole route. You can also get maps that show the whole route - they do indicate the albergues but aren't a close enough scale for day-to-day wayfinding.

One guidebook I saw might have fitted the bill as it had a lot of maps covering the route in some detail - each village and hamlet you pass through and details like road crossings and fountains. Unfortunately, I didn't end up buying a copy and I can't remember the title - can anyone else think what one this might be?

Wulf

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
John - that title sounds familiar. I was tempted to pick up a copy but the weight put me off when I was browsing in Santiago before travelling to the start of my walk and the shop was shut during the time I had in the city on my return.

I've found some reviews on Amazon but they don't have the book in stock.

Wulf

The Maps with the Practical Guide to Pilgrims are strip maps as are the ones in those in the book:
ANGUITA JAEN, Jose Maria. Pilgrim's guide, the road to Santiago (Leon: Editorial Everest SA, 2004 - 360 pp. ) with strip maps in a separate waterproof pocket which is sometimes issued free by Spanish Tourist Offices (try an enquiry via the Spanish Tourit office website in your home country).

I found the ordinary Michelin maps useful I think there were two the 441 and 442 but the numbers may have changed.

Buen Camino
William

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maps for your pocket

"Ediciones Way" publishes pocket maps of the Camino. They fold into a 3 ½" by 3 ½" square and are chock-full of information: distances, altitudes, albergues (with their telephone numbers) and even bicycle shops. There is one that covers the Camino from St Jean to Burgos, and Somport to Burgos; another from Burgos to O Cebreiro and another from O Cebreiro to Santiago. The name of the map series is "El Camino Jacobeo en tu Bolsillo” (The Way of St. James in your Pocket); ISBN 84-930395-2-7 they are printed in Spanish, French, English and German. They cost about $2-3 and may be ordered from the publisher:
Ediciones Way, S. L. c/ San Anselmo No. 1 2818 Madrid Spain

I sent them E10 in an envelope with my order and promptly received two maps - from St Jean to Burgos and from Burgos to Santiago.

I have lent these to 2 South African pilgrims and both said that were invaluable.

Good luck!

I'm not saying I wouldn't have wanted one, but when I did the walk last time, I never had a map the entire time.. between the yellow arrows and others walking, plus locals along the way, you almost don't need one. Again, that's not to say you shouldn't have one if you can find a lightweight one.

I am known for being "directionally handicapped" among my friends, and I only got lost once on the Camino (and it was only for a mile or so). Itwas kind of funny - because I learned to rely on instinct and in this instance, I realized pretty quickly I was going the wrong way.

Good luck! You'll love it.

Susanne

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back