• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps and directions.

Bozothec

Time of past OR future Camino
On route now
I see some specific questions about maps that show Portuguese coastal route and how to acess, but no definitive answer that I can find. We just finished first leg because we had directions from our hotel finding company that were very bad. Is there an easily accessible way to view the route on a google or apple map overlay?
Do I need to buy a printed map to make sure we dont lose our way. We pu on an extra 2 miles today and it was a little long
Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I see some specific questions about maps that show Portuguese coastal route and how to acess, but no definitive answer that I can find. We just finished first leg because we had directions from our hotel finding company that were very bad. Is there an easily accessible way to view the route on a google or apple map overlay?
Do I need to buy a printed map to make sure we dont lose our way. We pu on an extra 2 miles today and it was a little long
Thanks.
I used the Buen Camino app. You can download its content and use the maps offline. It shows the locations of albergues and other accommodations, and gives information on the route and alternatives.

I have just walked it without a book. The only times I needed to refer to an app were for choosing between the Costa / littoral / central or for albergues, but the signage was completely clear throughout, even the options to walk on slightly other paths further in. Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have just walked it without a book. The only times I needed to refer to an app were for choosing between the Costa / littoral / central or for albergues, but the signage was completely clear throughout, even the options to walk on slightly other paths further in. Buen camino
That is the problem i am finding. I am just trying some of these apps to play around and discover the ones i like most but they do not have two important paths to me 1- transition from Vila do conde to Rates and the Variant Espiritual. So iam trying to download a KML map but still could not make that work and import inside with maps.me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is the problem i am finding. I am just trying some of these apps to play around and discover the ones i like most but they do not have two important paths to me 1- transition from Vila do conde to Rates and the Variant Espiritual. So iam trying to download a KML map but still could not make that work and import inside with maps.me.
Have you tried Windy Maps yet? Both Vila do Conde to Rates and the Variante Espiritual are there. You just have to zoom in to see them.

Not a map, but this site has good information about the route.

Have you tried Windy Maps yet? Both Vila do Conde to Rates and the Variante Espiritual are there. You just have to zoom in to see them.

Not a map, but this site has good information about the route.
Awesome. I just started to play with it. I like it a lot. Today i plan to test it on the road. So when you say those routes are there you mean that we type from and to and will create it for us correct? Or i dont need to create the app comes already with it? Maybe because i am browsing around without login since i didnt create an account. I will create an account now to see if i see something different. This forum is so awesome i am learning a lot here. Thank you. I would go there totally clueless if i did find it. 🙂

I am trying to download a KML map but still could not make that work and import inside with maps.me.
Maps.me is one of the best tool for pilgrims ever invented :)
Don't give up too quickly on it. You say you downloaded kml/kmz file and it doesn't open in maps.me? By a chance, does your phone say that you don't have any app that can handle this kind of file? Because that is easy to fix.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maps.me is one of the best tool for pilgrims ever invented :)
Don't give up too quickly on it. You say you downloaded kml/kmz file and it doesn't open in maps.me? By a chance, does your phone say that you don't have any app that can handle this kind of file? Because that is easy to fix.
Yes i loved maps.me but i am getting discouraged because no way to get anything inside it for me. And i am blessed you guys are trying to help. I do think is something soo simple but i just dont know what it is.
was advised for me to download google app to see if helps. It did change a bit how it ask with what to open the file and with safari was not asking that. But no matter when i choose to “open with“ maps.me it goes nicely to maps.me app opens it automatically but nothing shows.

Yes i loved maps.me but i am getting discouraged because no way to get anything inside it for me. And i am blessed you guys are trying to help. I do think is something soo simple but i just dont know what it is.
was advised for me to download google app to see if helps. It did change a bit how it ask with what to open the file and with safari was not asking that. But no matter when i choose to “open with“ maps.me it goes nicely to maps.me app opens it automatically but nothing shows.
See my post to you HERE ;)

See my post to you HERE ;)
I wonder Jeff if you came across the issue that the new Android OS just doesn't like to open kml/kmz files and doesn't offer you an option to choose maps.me as a default program to open this kind of files. Because once I bought a new Android phone (samsung) it didn't let me open kml files claiming that it doesn't have an app to open it (which is a lie). Seems like google doesn't like the competition, and maps.me is just growing in power day by day.

But there is a workaround ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But no matter when i choose to “open with“ maps.me it goes nicely to maps.me app opens it automatically but nothing shows.
I've seen Jeff's excellent post on the other thread and that may help you. But I'm thinking that what may be happening to you is that the Apple version of the app comes up with your current location instead of the location of the track you opened. The screen could be blank because you haven't downloaded the basemap for your location. You may find the track you want listed by clicking the star icon. If there click the track's name.

I wonder Jeff if you came across the issue that the new Android OS just doesn't like to open kml/kmz files and doesn't offer you an option to choose maps.me as a default program to open this kind of files. Because once I bought a new Android phone (samsung) it didn't let me open kml files claiming that it doesn't have an app to open it (which is a lie). Seems like google doesn't like the competition, and maps.me is just growing in power day by day.

Sorry, no. can't help. My current Samsung phone is less than a year old (I've lost track of the various candy bar names for the software). It picks up KML/KMZ/GPX files as easily as its two predecessors.
I also have a Nexus 7 (built for Google) as well and that will run all my mapping apps too.

Maybe when you transferred files and apps to the new phone the transfer software didn't move or copy a database that mapped file types with the apps that registered themselves with the file types they knew how to open.

BTW, when I request to open image files the Mapas españa app is shown in the list of apps that can do it. If you choose that though the app complains that it doesn't understand the map data.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Awesome. I just started to play with it. I like it a lot. Today i plan to test it on the road. So when you say those routes are there you mean that we type from and to and will create it for us correct? Or i dont need to create the app comes already with it? Maybe because i am browsing around without login since i didnt create an account. I will create an account now to see if i see something different. This forum is so awesome i am learning a lot here. Thank you. I would go there totally clueless if i did find it. 🙂
You don't need to add anything to Windy Maps - the routes are already there. You do need to zoom in to see them. They are the dark blue line. I typed "Vila do Conde" in the search, then zoomed in and voila! The dark blue Camino lines are there. Screenshot_20210530-070742_Windy Maps.jpg

@Turigrino, while still trying to figure out what is going on with @NeiaBrazil's problem I came across this:

This was at https://mapsme.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207895029-How-to-import-bookmarks-
I have a Samsung phone and I found it quite easy to import the KML files into Maps.me. After I downloaded the file I clicked to open it, and apparently maps.me is the only app on my phone that could open it, so there it was!
I wonder if there is a YouTube video that shows the steps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I've seen Jeff's excellent post on the other thread and that may help you. But I'm thinking that what may be happening to you is that the Apple version of the app comes up with your current location instead of the location of the track you opened. The screen could be blank because you haven't downloaded the basemap for your location. You may find the track you want listed by clicking the star icon. If there click the track's
You don't need to add anything to Windy Maps - the routes are already there. You do need to zoom in to see them. They are the dark blue line. I typed "Vila do Conde" in the search, then zoomed in and voila! The dark blue Camino lines are there. View attachment 102917
Oh yes Trecile thank you. I see it now. i just saw the blue line. but it is the one that goes through Arcos... i was looking for the one to Rates( not passing Arcos) via the aqueduct. I saw a few people here talking about that route.

@Turigrino, while still trying to figure out what is going on with @NeiaBrazil's problem I came across this:

This was at https://mapsme.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207895029-How-to-import-bookmarks-
I have a Samsung phone and I found it quite easy to import the KML files into Maps.me. After I downloaded the file I clicked to open it, and apparently maps.me is the only app on my phone that could open it, so there it was!
I wonder if there is a YouTube video that shows the steps

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Never mind. You are probably talking about this one that goes a bit farther north through Seixo.
View attachment 102919
Yes! Thank you 🙏for making me aware of this app. What a shame my favs! one i cant import the kml (maps.me) and the other one doesnt have the route either(windy). But i am glad now i know about their existence to play with them and learn.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back