• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps and Guidebooks- necessary?

ehaldenb

Hello all. Thanks for all the info so far! I'm leaving in 6 days. Screwily, I just now started thinking about maps and guidebooks of the Camino Frances. I guess I just figured I would "go with the flow," but is that crazy? Do I need to have these things so I won't get lost, or is it possible to find one's way? THANKS!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With a guidebook of some kind you know, for example, how far it is to the next village, what services are there, how many refugios, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc are there, what alternative routes are available, what the elevation changes are, what the historical sights are and more. I guess if you are comfortable not knowing these things you don't need a guidebook. I will be taking at least 2.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A guide tells you about the history of the many villages and towns you will cross. A map on the CF is not really required as flechas amarillas abound.
Profile of the journey is somewhat scary at times; nice to know but not essential.

If you don't have time to buy a book, or think it will be too heavy, go at Mundicamino : http://www.mundicamino.com/ , click on the Camino you will walk and you have a small guide by stages. You can print the pages.

Bring them with you and, once a stage is done, throw away the paper.

Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you decide you want a guidebook, you could get either the John Brierley or the Davies and Cole from amazon.com on short notice. The Confraternity of St. James guidebook is also good, but it would never get to you in time.

Steve S

"...figured I would "go with the flow," but is that crazy? Do I need to have these things so I won't get lost, or is it possible to find one's way?"

Not crazy at all, it's a personal preference. Though am myself a "guidebook man," I have friends that are neither into guidebooks or maps, as crazy as it may sound, and never got lost-can't say the same for me, guidebook et al! It's ur call, ur Camino. Best, xm 8)

Thanks for the advice! I was hoping everyone would say something like "no, don't bring a guidebook because of the extra weight!" Isn't it funny how sometimes we ask for advice, only wanting our own opinion(uninformed in my case) reinforced? :oops: I'll definitely order a guidebook, then!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...funny how sometimes we ask for advice, only wanting our own opinion...reinforced? I'll definitely order a guidebook, then!
Not out of the woods, yet, peregrino! Which guidebook have u decided on that needs reinforcement? :lol: Best, xm 8)

haha, I had originally decided to forgo guidebooks! I never use them for anything and I figured I would just follow the swarms I've been hearing about on the CF! If you can recommend a guidebook that will ship to Michigan before 5/20 I will order it :lol:

U got good recommendations on previous posts, maybe u can choose & order it via Amazon-rapid delivery. I assume u may also be able to get it in Spain, particularly Madrid. Best, xm 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back