• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps and Guides

Sansthing

Time of past OR future Camino
French Camino (2009), French Camino (2011), Via de la Plata (2012), Camino Inglês (2014),
I plan to start my Camino from Roncesvalles early in May. I've been checking the site for information on the best guidebook and/or maps, and notice there are a variety of opinions (these dabates are very useful, it is so good to hear all sides of the question). Being very weight-conscious I am considering the CSJ guide and Brierleys maps. My query is whether there is a tourist office in Roncesvalles where I might get the same type of thing for free. It seems pointless to duplicate stuff and I am sure a tourist office information would also be the most up-to-date. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
I would also like to take this opportunity to wish all my fellow pilgrims a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :D .
Sandra

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The most up to date 'guide' is usually the CSJ small light booklet and it is based on independent reports rather than tourist office puff. It weighs very little and I would always take it.

The Brierley guide is good but you really do not need a map to find the way, it is well way-marked.

Remember if you are going any time except mid winter there will be others around with a variety of guides and maps to look at and you can always buy a Spanish guides from one of the larger towns along he route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have used the CSJ and Brierley guides on both of my Caminos. The CSJ guide is certianly adequate for finding the basic route and services. But for a much more extensive description of the route, the places you are passing and alternative routes and accommodations I found the Brierley guide to be indespensible. I would recommend that you take both.

I used the Brierley guide, not just for the map, the Camino is well marked but we still took routes not intended..., but for the information and the topographical information, (up and down hills etc.,) for a reference too. A long flat day and a challengening up/down hill day, are two very different things.

You can rip out and leave home the part of the Camino you won't be walking.

I don't think you can go wrong, however.

Buen Camino

Jerry

Hi Sandra,
At this stage you probably have loads of information and are quite knowledgable about the varying aspects of the Camino.However if you have no "hard copy" of the feely bulky paper type, I think you should buy one (i.e.a book), or perhaps as Christmas approaches put titles on your wish list.

Buen Camino

Brian

P.S. Have you read & considered replying to Sil's post on forum members names?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

About maps and albergues for the camino francés, I found recently this web site :

http://www.caminomap.com/

... using Google Maps where all the camino francés -- and more from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Fisterra -- is drawn in a surprising accurate way.

Merry Christmas

Théo

Hi,

I'm sorry ; the drawing of the camino is no more available...! ... only the albergues ...

The web site updating seems to be ongoing ...? ...

Théo

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I was thinking of maps more for the topographical information and distances between villages than route finding. I´d like to have an idea of what to expect when setting off in the morning. If it is going to be a very hilly day I´d rather be psychologically prepared for it, then it never seems so bad :!: I think I´ll take the CSJ guide for the accommodation, when the updated one is ready. Do the Brierley maps just show the route or also the topography?.
By the way, I have posted on Sil´s names forum.
Sandra

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Brierley guides have profiles of the route for each stage.
Here is a document with profiles that you can print out as well.

Attachments

• profil_d_etapes_voir.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 171
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah Sandra,

I must have been enjoying some vino tinto and missed your post on Forum Names!!!
Before I went on Camino I checked amazon and bought two books; Walking the Camino De Santiago: From St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago De Compostela and on to Finisterre by Cole & Davies, and John Brierley's guide. I would recommend Brierley's guide but not the other.
I did two short stretches, so I photocopied the relevant pages and took them with me.
Surprisingly, I travelled a little further than anticipated on both occasions, which had it's own rewards.

Buen Camino

Brian

Is it really necessary to get guide books. I read on another website that you get everything in terms of directions etc from the various refuges (spelling)? If so, where can I get hold of them?
:?

No, of course you don't have to have a guide book. You can't really get lost although it helps to have a book that gives you basic directions and mileages between villages and towns.
Most guide books also offer the walker some practical and historical info on the country they are walking through. Your understanding of what you see on your way to Santiago will depend on what you know (or what you can read in a book.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2009 CSJ guide for the Camino Frances is now available. I ordered mine yesterday. Thought I´d mention it in case anyone was waiting for it to come out.
Sandra

The three new Brierley Camino guides...Frances, Portugues and Finisterre, Muxia are not planned for release in Canada by amazon.ca until April 1st ...but we are patient folks..so we wait....watching the snow pile up outside...wishfully thinking of our next Camino....

Marilyn

ps I find the prices on amazon.ca are usually good for the new guides they are $20, $16, and $16 respectively....and no shipping chargesfor delivery in Canada if order is over $39.....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The best Camino Frances map is 1:1 scale - there is one in Spain, all opened up and rolled out, but I don't think it's for sale ....

thing about guides is that rather than finding out what you missed if you have one you can choose to miss things if you wish ... there's a free will thing here but can't quite grasp it ... there are a few places where the route splits and you make a choice, also there are some rather special places that are a little off route and worth a detour ... also, if you do know the terrain ahead and where the fountains are you can choose how much water to carry - can make a big difference .. though ...

wouldn't it be great if guides were printed on the same paper as the type used in Bibles? So thin and light yet strong ... guides can be soooo heavy.

This 2009 edition of the CSJ Guide to the Camino Francés is indeed now available - it was published in time for our AGM this weekend. You can order it via our Bookshop: http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_to_Spain_23.html#camfran - where the photo of last year's cover will be changed as fast as possible!

As always, we welcome feedback <office@csj.org.uk> from pilgrims using the guide, which we post as updates on the website until next January's edition is published.

Howard said:
This 2009 edition of the CSJ Guide to the Camino Francés is indeed now available

We have the 2008 guide (with updates), is there any advantage in getting the 2009 guide for our first Camino (from Saint Jean..) in April?

Col

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back