• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps.me

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A little more information might help. Where did you get the route you are trying to save? Do you have any other KML files saved on your phone for maps.me, or is this the first time you've used it?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but if you have a kml file you can import this into maps.me. If you have the file on your phone, tap on it and tap share and select maps.me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any help in maps.me save a route till next morning use. Thanks
Does this question require amplification or am I missing something? Maps.me is pretty straightforward and should have a help section, routes and locations can all be saved without difficulty. Used M.m in the past but prefer Komoot now.

It is relatively easy to open a GPS file stored on your phone and have it displayed on a map app but there is even an easier to understand way; email the file to yourself as an attachment with a meaningful subject line like Stage 4 or Pamplona to Puente de Reina. In the morning open up the email and click on the attachment.

It is relatively easy to open a GPS file stored on your phone and have it displayed on a map app but there is even an easier to understand way; email the file to yourself as an attachment with a meaningful subject line like Stage 4 or Pamplona to Puente de Reina. In the morning open up the email and click on the attachment.
Maps.me will import kml and kmz not gps no problem. After the last update if I try to save a route in made in the app the night before it's gone in the morning and I'll need to make a new daily route over again then.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A little more information might help. Where did you get the route you are trying to save? Do you have any other KML files saved on your phone for maps.me, or is this the first time you've used it?
Maps.me will import kml and kmz not gps no problem. After the last update if I try to save a route in made in the app the night before it's gone in the morning and I'll need to make a new daily route over again then.
Does this question require amplification or am I missing something? Maps.me is pretty straightforward and should have a help section, routes and locations can all be saved without difficulty. Used M.m in the past but prefer Komoot now.
Cant find any help especially on new update. Thanks

Maps.me will import kml and kmz not gps no problem
I used the term GPS to be general for navigational tracks/routes. The most common formats are gpx (used by OsmAnd and other apps) and kml and kmz used by maps.me, Google and others.
After the last update if I try to save a route in made in the app the night before it's gone in the morning and I'll need to make a new daily route over again then.
So it appears that you create your own route instead of using one already created. Then you save it, most likely to a file. I'm taking away that recently this worked but an update to maps.me broke things. I'm also assuming that you both created the route and attempted to view that route on a smartphone. Which one? How did you use to access a route that you created and saved for later?

Is there some webpage somewhere that tells us the instructions that you follow on how to create and save the route? I've been able to create a route with maps.me with my android app but I see no way to say that I want it saved for future use.

What reasons do you have to want to create a route of your own when there are a number that have already been created that will get you from camino point A to point B? Because using these would save you some work.

I used the term GPS to be general for navigational tracks/routes. The most common formats are gpx (used by OsmAnd and other apps) and kml and kmz used by maps.me, Google and others.

So it appears that you create your own route instead of using one already created. Then you save it, most likely to a file. I'm taking away that recently this worked but an update to maps.me broke things. I'm also assuming that you both created the route and attempted to view that route on a smartphone. Which one? How did you use to access a route that you created and saved for later?

Is there some webpage somewhere that tells us the instructions that you follow on how to create and save the route? I've been able to create a route with maps.me with my android app but I see no way to say that I want it saved for future use.

What reasons do you have to want to create a route of your own when there are a number that have already been created that will get you from camino point A to point B? Because using these would save you some work.
I am taking the portugese coastal from lisbon with no existing routes available. I am useing an android phone. When I create a custom route for the next days hike in wifi I would like to call it up the next day to track myself. There does not seem any way to save a route created in maps.me app. Thanks for any help

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am taking the portugese coastal from lisbon with no existing routes available. I am useing an android phone. When I create a custom route for the next days hike in wifi I would like to call it up the next day to track myself. There does not seem any way to save a route created in maps.me app. Thanks for any help
I cant seem to find current help that is about this new update. Maybe I am missing something. Hope someone is using now that can help.

Don't know if this helps: on te website of the Dutch St. James fraternity you can find free downloadable kml files for most major camino's. Go to this page:

Scroll down to 'All pilgrim routes Portugal' and download the kml file into your phone. Then open the file. It might open automatically in Maps.me. If not, manually open it in Maps.me.

The OsmAnd app is similar to maps.me but more useful. It is, however, more difficult to use. It can create and save routes. Do not try to learn this on a camino. You may want to learn it for a future one though.

If you can't find a useful kml or kmz track for maps.me at websites mentioned here there is a website that will easily create one for you at https://gpsvisualizer.com/draw

Zoom in on the world map to your location.

In the Drawing Tools box click on the trk icon.

Now go to the start point of your route and click on its location and then each turn in the route in sequence. You will see your route being created.

When the last location on the map has been selected go to the save data section of the Drawing Tool and click the KML icon.

Gpsvisualizer will convert the points you selected into a file you can use as a route and store it temporarily on its website. It will have an ugly name with a timestamp as its first part. You will see this name in a clickable portion of the Drawing Tool. Click the name to download the file onto your phone and then use it with maps.me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Funny how the mind works. I had an epiphany while cleaning my gutters. We have been trying to solve the wrong problem. While trying to get you tracks, the real problem is how to keep you from getting lost after you have found the route the night before.

Use maps.me and click on the spot where your first turn is. Add it to favorites. Click on the rest of the turns adding them to favorites in sequence. In the morning walk the road connecting the dots. A line showing where you should be each meter of the way isn't needed (unless you are taking a shortcut through a mine field).

Or maybe follow the arrows.

Or maybe follow the arrows.
Your question is a little vague and the initial reading of it to me sounded like you were forging your own route up the coast. May I suggest that if you download either the Wise Pilgrim or the Buen Camino app (Possibly the Camino Ninja app as well, but I am not sure.) you will find excellent maps on both that you can download and use as you are walking. They are both free and believe me very, very user friendly. Or as Rick says the easiest way is to follow the yellow arrows on the yellow brick road and if the ocean is to your left you are going in the right direction!! ;) These apps along with Gronze.com which is a free website will give you distances between towns and suggestions on where to sleep from donativos to much more expensive hotels.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just used maps.me to navigate a straighter path across France than the “official” via Francigena route. Was also interested in following as close to the original route of Siguric as possible (excluding freeways/ major highways). Maps.me worked best when I put in my current location and the next place I was staying. In six weeks it lead me to only five dead ends where I had to detour significantly. Note well: it will lead you on some paths that require some tramping through high grass. Two of the dead ends were because farmers have erected barb wire fencing across the path (enclosing a field where critters were grazing) and two were roads through wood lots (private forests) where barriers or gates and signage have been posted “Access privé/Interdict”. Since there are many hunting areas on such lands I find another trail around the subject area. Maps.me is unable to discern these changes, so “caveat emptor” is an appropriate warning. 510 miles into the VF and those se my only complaints about the app.

I cant seem to find current help that is about this new update. Maybe I am missing something. Hope someone is using now that can help
Just used maps.me to navigate a straighter path across France than the “official” via Francigena route. Was also interested in following as close to the original route of Siguric as possible (excluding freeways/ major highways). Maps.me worked best when I put in my current location and the next place I was staying. In six weeks it lead me to only five dead ends where I had to detour significantly. Note well: it will lead you on some paths that require some tramping through high grass. Two of the dead ends were because farmers have erected barb wire fencing across the path (enclosing a field where critters were grazing) and two were roads through wood lots (private forests) where barriers or gates and signage have been posted “Access privé/Interdict”. Since there are many hunting areas on such lands I find another trail around the subject area. Maps.me is unable to discern these changes, so “caveat emptor” is an appropriate warning. 510 miles into the VF and those se my only complaints about the app.
Thanks for the info. Did you have to input the maps.me trail just before the walk or could you save the trail by planning it the day before using wifi and save it. Thanks again

With my iPhone I just put the start and end points in the night before then left the app window open (don’t know if this works on Android) and when I awaken the phone in the morning the trail is there and I just hit start. I use Garmin to save my trails each day (diffferent app but one my friends and family can follow if they are bored at home😎). Note: if you close the app before hitting the start button it makes you reinput the end points. Once you hit start, you can close the phone and even close the app and when you reopen it it will be tracking you. Bom Caminho

€149,-
With my iPhone I just put the start and end points in the night before then left the app window open (don’t know if this works on Android) and when I awaken the phone in the morning the trail is there and I just hit start. I use Garmin to save my trails each day (diffferent app but one my friends and family can follow if they are bored at home😎). Note: if you close the app before hitting the start button it makes you reinput the end points. Once you hit start, you can close the phone and even close the app and when you reopen it it will be tracking you. Bom Caminho
Thanks for the details. I was hoping for these details.

Note : you may want to replace maps.me which is now owned by a finance company with an opaque history and privacy controls with organic maps, open source and by the same developers. It works exactly like maps.me but without the user tracking stuff. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps.me).

Good to know. Just finished the first half of the VF and it worked great with the five or six exceptions I noted in my original comment. Will look at organic maps when I return to finish the VF in 2023 or 2024.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Note : you may want to replace maps.me which is now owned by a finance company with an opaque history and privacy controls with organic maps, open source and by the same developers. It works exactly like maps.me but without the user tracking stuff. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps.me).
Thanks for info.now I can use same software as before upgrade. Works great.

The company previously known as mail . ru and headquartered in Moscow.

So now, having investigated the Organic Maps app this thread becomes less opaque (clearer). Thanks @seashell for the update on Maps.me, we don't need those pesky ruskies tracking you peregrinos. And now it seems that Organic Maps is more like the original Maps.me However I've said it before..... Komoot (IMO) is a far more useful app for route planning, navigation & logging whether you're a hiker or a biker plus the app & web version integrate nicely.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.