• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps necessary?

jogwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
interested in walking the Portuguese Way 2017
We will be walking the central route from Porto to Santiago. We have the Brierly book. Are other maps necessary to have? If so, where can I download them? Also, we will be leaving from a hostel very close to the Porto airport. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get started to avoid the industrial area? Thank you!

Note from Moderator -- I have changed "interior" to "central." The Interior route is a totally different route that goes from Viseu up through Chaves and on to merge with the Sanabres in Verin. Not where you are going, jogwalker. It's confusing I know. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We will be walking the interior route from Porto to Santiago. We have the Brierly book. Are other maps necessary to have? If so, where can I download them? Also, we will be leaving from a hostel very close to the Porto airport. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get started to avoid the industrial area? Thank you!
I know the hostel your in near the airport and not far from the camino path. Cant help you on route but I can say that Brierly is very good and the route is very well marked. Shouldnt be a problem no further maps required Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi jogwalker, that hostel near Porto airport is very handy and the metro system has a station just a few minutes walk away. From there you can take a train to the edge of the city, either towards the coastal or inland routes. See Brierley for details. Way marking on the route is generally good, however if you want a map you could download maps.me Portugal.
Have a great Camino.

Hi jogwalker,
I am also walking from Porto to Santiago. I leave in 3 weeks!
I will be starting from the Cathedral in Porto, then taking the coastal route to Vila do Conde!
I will be using JB's book as well as the maps.me app!
I have used the app throughout Europe and found it very useful!
It can be used without data and partial or whole countries can be downloaded!
I have saved coloured location pins for each stage of my Camino, as well as pins for the albergues/hostels in the area!
I have however noticed, the app does seem to miss some accommodation that is visible in Google maps!
Boa Camino!

Hello jogwalker, four weeks ago I walked out of Hotel Aeroporto, turned right and followed Brierley's route up passed the airport runway curving over through Vilar do Pinheiro then turning left near Mosteiro. The way is very will marked from there. If you wise to feel more secure about you route then I would recommend the Wise Pilgrim app. It came in handy whenever I questioned my way. Remember the blue arrows show the way to Fatima.
Bom Caminho Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can find it here - https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=9585265

That route is from Lisbon, but you should be able to use it fine :) You might want to check that it is the correct route you plan to walk.

Save it as .kml and it should be ready to import directly into maps.me

We will be walking the interior route from Porto to Santiago. We have the Brierly book. Are other maps necessary to have? If so, where can I download them? Also, we will be leaving from a hostel very close to the Porto airport. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get started to avoid the industrial area? Thank you!
I think you are making a mistake here posting the thread in Portugues Interior sub-forum because Portugues Interior runs from Viseu via Lamego and Verin and connects with Sanabres either in Laza or Ourense (http://www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos).
The route you are about to walk is called Portugues Central.

Anyway Bom Caminho ;)

Hello jogwalker, four weeks ago I walked out of Hotel Aeroporto, turned right and followed Brierley's route up passed the airport runway curving over through Vilar do Pinheiro then turning left near Mosteiro. The way is very will marked from there. If you wise to feel more secure about you route then I would recommend the Wise Pilgrim app. It came in handy whenever I questioned my way. Remember the blue arrows show the way to Fatima.
Bom Caminho Buen Camino
Thank you
I know the hostel your in near the airport and not far from the camino path. Cant help you on route but I can say that Brierly is very good and the route is very well marked. Shouldnt be a problem no further maps required Buen Camino
Thank you so much! Will I need to make accommodations at hostels or alburgues ahead of time? We leave sept 10 and hope to just find places to sleep when we feel ready to end a day. Is that reasonable or should I do more planning?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back