Search 69,459 Camino Questions

maps- routes

piru

Hi! I posted before but I am still confused about the route I am taking. I will be walking el camino primitivo en 3 weeks, and I cannot find a map that will take me from oviedo to santiago that i can rely on. It seems that different websites have different routes. How will I find my way? is it marked with the yellow arrows? does anyone know of a good map? I want to caluclate my kilometers, as I don't want to get lost or misscalculate and never get to a town to spend the night.

Thanks!

Piru

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Piru,
I arrived in Santiago on 28 May after walking the Primitivo. It is fairly straightforward from Oviedo to Lugo. I used the CSJ guide and you will find my 'blog' at http://www.walktocompostela.blogspot.com which will give you some idea of the terrain etc. My advice would be -find a guidebook and go-. It is generally well waymarked. Also look at the 'Primitivo' page on this forum.
Buen Camino
tio Tel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Piru,
I missed out part of my 'blog' address -= now correct and working.
hope you are making progress with your planning and have not been put off in any way. The Primitivo is well worth the effort. If a 65 year-old 'lightweight' can do it anyone can!

Buen Camino
Tio Tel

Thanks y'all. I am so excited to be doing this!!! two more weeks and the pilgrimage begins!
all the websites were very useful, specially Mundicamino.com!

Many thanks

Piru

Hi Piru,

It's very exciting that you're taking this journey!

A note on waymarkers: It has been mentioned before but may bear repeating that one follows the hinge side of the shell leaving Oviedo throughout Asturias. Once in Galicia, the direction of the shell points the other way.

Sometimes it takes a while to start trusting markers, especially if it’s your first Camino - but the Primitivo is very well marked for the most part. Some other peregrinos have added painted yellow arrows - always a comforting sight! I found it also helped having the CSJ guide. It was mentioned to me by experienced travelers on the road -- that after major turns on the Camino – another waymarker should appear within 200 meters to confirm that you have gone the right way. Sometimes there are longer stretches without one where there is obviously no other alternative way to go.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI, Piru,
only 2 weeks to go and you will be on the journey of your life. the mundicamino site is great because you can print 4 day maps and laminate them onto 1 X A4 page !!. Its what ive done and works great. Another good downloadable map site for the Primitivo is http://www.caminosantiagoastur.com . They provide better detailed maps of each day. Another good site for Pictures and details of each of the Primitivo Albergues is http://www.caminotineo.com/albergues.htm

I have walked the Frances in 07 and the Camino from Porto in 08 and last month I walked from Irun to Gijon. on the Norte, In september 09 im returning to Spain from ireland and plan to walk the Primitivo to Melida starting in Oviedo.

Enjoy and any comments and advise on your return would be great.

cruiser actually its really john

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.