• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps with fountain info

EvaF

I was wondering if someone might have information/maps that describe the fountain locations along the Camino Frances. Two years ago Sil was nice enough to send me some maps that detailed this information. This year we are starting a little further back, in O'Cebreiro, and I am wondering if there are any websites/etc. that show where major fountains are located.

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I found a site that lets you export small sections:
* You need to click "Run" + "Export"

I compiled 2 GPX files:
* Geneva to Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port
* Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port to Fisterra

Download here:
Alternative:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufnx63tt032o4uu/AADoDoDFYctkrta9OnVE2x-va?dl=0

Water.png

It takes a while to load, there are a lot of points.

Best regards ;-)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't recall any village without a fountain? I just carry an 8 ounce bottle and fill up in each village when I need it.

I don't recall any village without a fountain? I just carry an 8 ounce bottle and fill up in each village when I need it.

That can be risky I think.
I was really desperate for water coming in to Villamayor del Río.
It was a really hot day and I had gone through water very quickly.
A fountain was shown in the Guide.
When I got there.
It was.........Non Potable

I couldn't last on an 8 oz bottle, as I go through 1 litre / 10 kms.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When I got there.

I made a major mistake on my 1st Camino that involved getting badly dehydrated, at one point I found myself sitting on the trail not knowing how I got there. The next morning I woke up dizzy and checked into a local hotel. The next 2 wakeups I was still dizzy, so I ended my camino and flew home.

When I got there.

Yeah, some people drink more water than others. I walked the Aragones once with a Spaniard who carried nothing but an apple. I just am not a water drinker so no problemo.

I made a major mistake on my 1st Camino that involved getting badly dehydrated, at one point I found myself sitting on the trail not knowing how I got there. The next morning I woke up dizzy and checked into a local hotel. The next 2 wakeups I was still dizzy, so I ended my camino and flew home.

Sorry to hear that. But it's a good reminder to those who are yet to walk a camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dehydration is my greatest problem in my walks in Spain. I frequently am not thirsty enough to drink the warm and distasteful water which is all that is available to me. When I drink, there is no washroom, and frequently no private place, to dispose of the results. I do my best with this, but I am still dehydrated, and I see no way to prevent it. Many of the town fountains are marked "non potable" and I understand that this is to avoid the cost of getting the water tested regularly (from a previous forum post). I carry water purification tablets from the Red Cross, which I have never used but will have in hand if I must drink apparently polluted water. Generally, I drink whatever cold (or hot) drink I can purchase and carry water which I almost never drink. The warmer it gets, the worse it tastes to me. All that I can think of is drinking as much cold water or other cold liquid as I can get into me wherever I stay for the night and in shops, bars or restaurants, where I can find one during the day. If I walk the Levante this fall, I anticipate major problems with dehydration.

I’ve frequently taken water from those marked non-potable fountains, where there is a local around to ask if it is actually potable. The locals frequently drink from them. Occasionally the fountain looks dirty and I don’t. I carry a couple of water purifying tabs for emergencies.

Dehydration is my greatest problem in my walks in Spain. I frequently am not thirsty enough to drink the warm and distasteful water which is all that is available to me. When I drink, there is no washroom, and frequently no private place, to dispose of the results. I do my best with this, but I am still dehydrated, and I see no way to prevent it. Many of the town fountains are marked "non potable" and I understand that this is to avoid the cost of getting the water tested regularly (from a previous forum post). I carry water purification tablets from the Red Cross, which I have never used but will have in hand if I must drink apparently polluted water. Generally, I drink whatever cold (or hot) drink I can purchase and carry water which I almost never drink. The warmer it gets, the worse it tastes to me. All that I can think of is drinking as much cold water or other cold liquid as I can get into me wherever I stay for the night and in shops, bars or restaurants, where I can find one during the day. If I walk the Levante this fall, I anticipate major problems with dehydration.
You might find using a water bladder helps keep the water cooler. I used a bladder on my first camino but not on any subsequent ones as I prefer using a bottle. But with the bladder, after the first sip cleared out the water in the hose, what then came out was surprisingly cool. Alternatively, tossing half of one of those flavoured hydration tabs into your water may help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I, too, found bladders kept the water cooler. I was also known for tossing a few ice cubes into it. As long as you are careful to clean out the bladder afterward, a slice of lime helped in terms of taste. I usually carried an orange as backup.

The challenge for me was not on the Frances or the del Norte, where there were plenty of fuentes or, in their absence, helpful barkeeps, but on stretches of the Primitivo or the lesser routes. As well, just because it's not warm or sunny at times, we need to keep hydrating--- even in the downpours of Galicia. I recall being inthe restaurant of the Posada in Portomarin when a Pennsylvanian pilgrim collapsed from dehydration, leaving her daughter distraught from fear that her mother had experienced a heart attack--- a waiter sprinted across the street to the residence of a doctor and brought him over, where dehydration was diagnosed and remedies provided.

But I would advise pilgrims not to drink from agricultural standpipes. I did this once, as the water looked nice and clear. I spent most of my stay in Sahagun in my hotel bathroom, repenting.

I, too, found bladders kept the water cooler. I was also known for tossing a few ice cubes into it. As long as you are careful to clean out the bladder afterward, a slice of lime helped in terms of taste. I usually carried an orange as backup.

The challenge for me was not on the Frances or the del Norte, where there were plenty of fuentes or, in their absence, helpful barkeeps, but on stretches of the Primitivo or the lesser routes. As well, just because it's not warm or sunny at times, we need to keep hydrating--- even in the downpours of Galicia. I recall being inthe restaurant of the Posada in Portomarin when a Pennsylvanian pilgrim collapsed from dehydration, leaving her daughter distraught from fear that her mother had experienced a heart attack--- a waiter sprinted across the street to the residence of a doctor and brought him over, where dehydration was diagnosed and remedies provided.

But I would advise pilgrims not to drink from agricultural standpipes. I did this once, as the water looked nice and clear. I spent most of my stay in Sahagun in my hotel bathroom, repenting.
I have looked at all the possibilities, but so far have not found anything that kept the warm water drinkable for me, considering that I was not feeling thirsty. However, I am now considering buying some True Lemon powder, if it is still available at the local Safeway. It is refreshing, very light to carry in tiny sachets, unsweetened, so I would not have to put up with all the chemicals and additives in hydration tablets. I'll try breaking in my taste to drinking lemon-flavoured water after it has warmed up for hours. I am grateful for suggestions, as I know that I must try to drink more water on camino.

I read in the book "Wild" that a sign of being fully hydrated is that you will need to pee every hour or 90 minutes. I think back to my first camino (2015), I could hike 6 hours and not have to pee once! So my wife and I each carry a liter bottle full of water and refill when we can. On some long stretches or tough days (hike to Roncesvalles, or 17 km stretch on the meseta), we each carry two one liter bottles. I'm not to the point where I pee every 60 to 90 minutes, but much better than our first camino. Bob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.