• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps

Jme

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino.
I currently have a copy of John Brielys guidebook to the Camino Frances and I’m wondering if the basic maps and descriptions in the guide are sufficient to guide me or should I purchase more maps? Thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The waymarkings are generally excellent through most of the Camino Francés. It is unlikely you will get seriously lost assuming you aren't doing a winter walk. If you do wander off-route, odds are very likely that someone will point you back in the correct direction before you've gone too far.

The main benefit of maps is exploring what's around you that might not be directly on the Camino and on making it easier to find the albergues - at the end of a long walk, it's nice to easily find exactly where the albergue is without any more searching than is absolutely necessary.

I currently have a copy of John Brielys guidebook to the Camino Frances and I’m wondering if the basic maps and descriptions in the guide are sufficient to guide me or should I purchase more maps? Thank you
The route is well-marked with yellow arrows and scallop shell symbols. We found the Brierley maps, in combination with the arrows and scallop shell symbols to be perfectly adequate, although you do need to keep alert for the arrows and symbols. You'll soon find yourself particularly alert--seemingly almost subconciously so--for spotting yellow arrows. It is possible to occasionally miss one, but as noted by others, someone always seems to pop up and point you back in the right direction.

One thing to note about the Brierley maps: they are schematic in nature and not to relative scale. They only include things that are pertinent to the Camino route and few other primary landmarks. So if you're expecting them to be more comprehensive, you'll be disappointed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree wholeheartedly with the above input about the CF is very well marked. I would add that I used a GPS app on my iPhone that when used in conjunction with the distances noted on the Brierley maps made life very easy. I'm not suggesting that you need a GPS but I was using one anyway to record my track for my friends and family back home anyway so it came in handy!

We skipped the weight of the guide and downloaded Brierley's maps-only kindle app to our cell phone. Not only does it have great zoomable maps but lists of places to stay, approx. cost and what options are available (bunkbed, private, meals, etc.).

image.jpeg Can you follow yellow arrows? If so a separate map is absolutely unnecessary. Brierley's guidebook will be more than enough. image.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Used the map for: alternate routes, how far to walk tomorrow (and what's the altitude change), and most importantly, how far to the next bar.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back