• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps

harry bowerman

Time of past OR future Camino
future
Hi,
I am walking the Camino Frances in April with my wife starting in JPDP. I have learned a lot from looking at the forum so thank you to everyone. The one aspect that I am still puzzled about is map coverage of the route. I have walked in the hills and mountains for years and always carry a map and compass. I am not sure which maps most pilgrims carry or where to get them? I have a guide book with basic maps but nothing 25000/50000 coverage.
Thank you
Harry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think most people simply follow the yellow arrows and the outline maps printed in their guidebooks. Technophiles can also use one of the many Camino apps with their phone's GPS and mapping. I walked from St Jean to Santiago in September and October this year and the only times I found a map was needed were when going off-route in the larger towns. Glancing over the next day's route over an evening drink was usually all the navigation required. Signposting along the CF is not only adequate - it is excessive. Combine that with the huge number of walkers and you will find it quite difficult to lose the trail for long.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Harry, welcome :)
I love "real" maps and use them too when I walk!
Not on the Camino Francés though. It's marked in such way one can easily walk with no map at all! (Which is an interesting experience to, byw)
The other thing is, the CF is not a path through wild nature. It's mostly a "humanized" path, built for pilgrims and quite often near civilization. So, no 25000/50000 map or compass required...
Like Bradypus said, most people use the ones in their guidebook or an app. I never saw anyone with a compass either (although I would have loved to see MTtoCamino use his!)
If you stay on tracks, don't worry about what seems to be a poor coverage in your book: it will be enough. As for cities, just be more careful and take your time to find the marks. If lost, people will help you spontaneously. Otherwise, ask around or find a map at a public transportation point.
If you want to go off-Camino, a "real map" would certainly be useful. I don't remember if the pilgrim's shop in SJPdP sells any, but in any case Internet can certainly find one for you!
Another nice advantage I find in real maps: using them as a diary... Quick notes on the Camino, wonderful memories years later! :)
Buen Camino!

full

Glancing over the next day's route over an evening drink was usually all the navigation required.
Yep, and helps to know the elevation changes for the next day.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,
I am walking the Camino Frances in April with my wife starting in JPDP. I have learned a lot from looking at the forum so thank you to everyone. The one aspect that I am still puzzled about is map coverage of the route. I have walked in the hills and mountains for years and always carry a map and compass. I am not sure which maps most pilgrims carry or where to get them? I have a guide book with basic maps but nothing 25000/50000 coverage.
Thank you
Harry

The Brierley guidebook has a map that is quite basic but points out the major features. You don't really need it; but its nice to have.

The reason you don't really need a map is because the entire route is marked with yellow arrows, ceramic tiles depicting a scallop shell, and signposts. Its a case of 'follow the yellow brick road', (and there are sections where the road is actually made of yellow bricks)

A secondary reason is that people who live in the area are accustomed to seeing pilgrims wander about aimlessly. They will point you out the direction of travel; often without being asked.

A tertiary reason is the road basically goes West in the shortest possible distance. Some sections are arrow straight remains of Roman roads.

The Camino Frances requires no need for GPS, detailed/scaled maps or even a compass. It is well marked the entire Way all the way to Santiago. You would have to work really hard to get lost on it. Sure, you might make a wrong turn in a town now and then, but hardly anything worth being concerned about.
After walking it more than once I've come to the conclusion that the Brierley maps only guidebook is the perfect size, weight and information needed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No map needed. Folow the arrows and then take a look at the sketches provided in the guidebooks if in doubt. There's a reason you haven't seen maps. ;)

This being said, if you do like the typical detailed map, for which you will habe no need what so ever, Roher publishes Camino guides that have these small maps. What I like about these is that theu show you the escape route: bus and train stations! :eek:

https://www.rother.de/rother-english titles-camino de santiago-4835.htm

Also, I hope you are not expecting a walk "in hills and mountains" on the Frances. Other than the day to Roncessvalles the whole thing is quite built up and civilized. When you will be walking in fields it will most likely on private land traversed by the Camino.

Hi,
Thank you
Harry

Dear Anemone del Camino,
In the Pigrims Office in SJDP you will be given the most valuable map with topographic data, very easy, very usefull. This was a very good supporting info for us who did the Camino Frances in 2 years. (We are 70+). If you can´t wait, pls go to Les Amis di Chemin de Saint Jaques des Pyrenees Atlaniques and download the map already now. Buen Camino! (We two are ready for Camino Portugues in May, 5 2017) Buen Camino, Bon Caminho and Merry X-mas to all pilgrims!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Anemone del Camino,
In the Pigrims Office in SJDP you will be given the most valuable map with topographic data, very easy, very usefull. This was a very good supporting info for us who did the Camino Frances in 2 years.
Is it a map? Back in 2007 it was a series of sketches of the elevations for each suggested etapas. I still have mine from 2007. It came with another sheet which listed the albergues. If they still have that one it must now be a few pages long. But the OP was hoping for a more typical road map, and that is found in the Rother guides.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
Thank you
Harry
Have walked three times now and never needed a map outside of the cities. Started this year from Pamplona and got kind of lost getting from the bus station to the first yellow arrow. Needed a map again when I took a wrong turn leaving Ponferrada in the early morning darkness. Out in the countryside however, never needed a map at all. Used the rough maps at times in the guide book for nothing more than checking distances. On very long days, I tend to break the journey up in my mind to short 3 or 4 km sections

Is it a map? Back in 2007 it was a series of sketches of the elevations for each suggested etapas. I still have mine from 2007. It came with another sheet which listed the albergues. If they still have that one it must now be a few pages long. But the OP was hoping for a more typical road map, and that is found in the Rother guides.

Hi again! No, it is not "a real map", but the information in the "boxes" is excellent! You can plan your walk depending on difficulty of up and downs, then you can have a look in the list of albergues. And: if you are a little bit interested of the culture, churches, nature and other, the you also must complete with a traditional guide (printed or online). I used a combination of the 3, put also own notes on how far we have reached every day, earmarked places/churches/villages/cafees etc we wanted to visit - we did not follow the recommended distances in the boxes, but the information was very usefull.
Now me and my companion are searching for something like "the boxes" for our next Camino Portugues in May 2017. Merry Xmas!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have walked three times now and never needed a map outside of the cities. Started this year from Pamplona and got kind of lost getting from the bus station to the first yellow arrow. Needed a map again when I took a wrong turn leaving Ponferrada in the early morning darkness. Out in the countryside however, never needed a map at all. Used the rough maps at times in the guide book for nothing more than checking distances. On very long days, I tend to break the journey up in my mind to short 3 or 4 km sections
Same here. Got mixed up once in Ponferrada too, and once going into Leon. Walked straight when I should have gone right. Took all of ten minutes to find the Camino again.
The guidebook maps are great for checking distances and seeing which towns are where along the Camino. They are not precise and were never intended to be.
I too break up my Caminos in short distances. In my mind it's a long series of 5k's.

if you have smart phone download from Amazon for kindle ,"Outdoor , The way is the goal" has all the info you will need.

While it is possible to do the entire Camino without the aide of a map, I highly suggest that you carry a map at least as detailed as the those in the Brierley guidebook. Most stages have only one route, however many stages have alternate routes that keep you further away from auto routes. If you like breathing exhaust, follow the herd! I prefer the slightly longer, well-marked routes across the farmer's field with beautiful views. You would also miss the church at Eunate if you did not follow the 6km detour.

-Paul

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good for maps, distances, and locations, but its 2010 publication date makes is fairly useless for accommodations! It is lightweight and convenient, so supplements the yellow arrows for the "big picture."
Hola @falcon269 ; @Jimmy Smith - the edition I have has a 2013/2014 publication date. But I take your point about is specific usefulness in regard to albergue data. For this info I rely on Brierley. But in reality if you download the albergue data on the Forum you could survive with virtually no maps. Cheers

I think most people simply follow the yellow arrows and the outline maps printed in their guidebooks. Technophiles can also use one of the many Camino apps with their phone's GPS and mapping. I walked from St Jean to Santiago in September and October this year and the only times I found a map was needed were when going off-route in the larger towns. Glancing over the next day's route over an evening drink was usually all the navigation required. Signposting along the CF is not only adequate - it is excessive. Combine that with the huge number of walkers and you will find it quite difficult to lose the trail for long.

Try the Michelinguidebook
Camino de Santiago, Michelin Zoom 160 (Michelin Zoom, nr. 160)

Attachments

• _9782067148055.jpg
    _9782067148055.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 11
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
Thank you
Harry
You just follow your shadow in the morning and you are heading west. Then follow the sun and the signs in the afternoon. You can't go wrong.

Hi,
Thank you
Harry

Hi Harry,
I also wanted a map when I started, but was able to make do with the guidebook and the arrows. We did not get lost and whenever we did stray off the path, there was usually some kind person there to call to us and set us back in the right direction. In Pamplona while searching off the path for a hotel we had reserved, more than one local tried to return us to the Way. "Santiago, Santiago!" Followed by lots of pointing and one even man trying to take us by the arm to walk us back! We had to show our hotel reservation and then the same man pointed out the way to the hotel. In Santo Domingo a man walked clear to the post office with us to make sure we would not get lost! It seemed easiest to get lost in cities.
Janet

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back