• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps

In March I am walking the C Portugues from Vigo to Santiago de C and then onto Finisterre and Muxia. I would like some help with mapping. I have Brierleys for Finisterre and Wise Pilgrims for C Portugues and some apps.
I am no stranger to maps and although I will manage I seem to struggle with these books. The Brierley book will need a magnifying glass to read maps for the road names. I would much prefer an OS type map to pick my way along rather than leafing from page to page. I understand the routes are well marked -will this make things easier with the books I have.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
TrailSmart (I am the publisher) has maps covering those routes. The app and Camino content are all free. Online maps (Google) are available with support for street view, terrain, satellite view, and so on. If you want offline maps, they are available via an in-app purchase (that's the only 'commercial' part of TrailSmart).

TrailSmart is available for both Android and iOS.

However, since you are using the Wise Pilgrim book, I believe that author also has a mobile app that matches the book which might be convenient for you -- I think (but am not sure) that it includes offline maps as well.

I would much prefer an OS type map to pick my way along rather than leafing from page to page.

I love maps :) If, as your name suggests, you are in the U.K., the Map Shop in Upton upon Severn stocks the Spanish "Mapas Militar" - equivalent to our OS. I have found them very helpful. If you cannot get there, then a phone call will guide you to what you need.
http://www.themapshop.co.uk/europe/Spain/spainindex2.htm

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In March I am walking the C Portugues from Vigo to Santiago de C and then onto Finisterre and Muxia. I would like some help with mapping. I have Brierleys for Finisterre and Wise Pilgrims for C Portugues and some apps.
I am no stranger to maps and although I will manage I seem to struggle with these books. The Brierley book will need a magnifying glass to read maps for the road names. I would much prefer an OS type map to pick my way along rather than leafing from page to page. I understand the routes are well marked -will this make things easier with the books I have.
Go to www.gronze.com!

I would like some help with mapping.

There is the story of two motorists ariving at a cross roads and none of the four villages on the sign post helped them. The farm labourer nearby gave the advice, if he was going to where they wanted he wouldn't start from here.

In much the same way, I have found paper maps such as OS or whatever are helpful only if you know where you are. But unwieldy in other than the most benign weather.

Which is why my suggestions are:
1) get a tablet (I prefer Android devices with a 10" screen)
2) download OSMand (Open Street Maps for Android) - a few coins
3) download, within that app, the maps for the regions you will pass through - no cost
4) in the apps settings turn on walking trails (or similar)
5) this mapping system has GPS and will always show where you are, even in doors near windows. In those circumstances the accuracy may be off by tens of metres
6) this mapping system has a search function
7) this mapping system has a route planning system, to use when you are comfortable
8) apart from downloading maps once before you set off OSMand works offline (no WiFi needed)

While your tablet, with keyboard, may weigh around 800 g, this will be more than compensated by the weight savings from 8).

9) for your own use only: scan the pages of the guides you want and put the files on your tablet This means you could "carry" quite a few guides with no weight disadvantage.

9) save screen dumps as .pdf files and store those on your tablet

That way I am pretty well set up when walking, where there is no WiFi.

I carry my tablet in a sufficiently large pouch slung high up in front between the pack straps, so it is easily accessibel

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

PS: My only interest in OSMand is as a user.

Last edited:
We scanned and drew pencil lines on the sections needed of the OS maps to carry on one Camino. It worked for us very well. We did not want to carry 6 full different OS maps :eek:.
The relevant paper section then went in our map pouch with our guide book and never got wet. When we did stray on one occasion the map showed us exactly where we went wrong and needed to go back to a particular turn which was not signed. I think we would have struggled with electrics; paper does not rely on good battery or a signal :).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for all the information. I like the OSMand and have got the app. I have mapping on my Lenova 2 phone which has a larger screen than normal. Not keen on taking my tablet.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.