• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maps

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The John Brierley book has adequate maps for the Camino Frances. The path is well marked with yellow arrows, so you are not likely to get lost without a map. But maps are handy for evaluating alternatives.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
JohnnieWalker said:
You don't need maps if your intention is to follow the pilgrims' route marked by arrows.

That's true. However, if you are like me and just like maps for the pleasure of pouring over them, judging how far you have come and still have to go, whether the hill you can see ahead is one you are going to have to climb etc, then you can get maps easier in France than in Spain, I think. We are cycling our camino, so we buy the French IGN Carte de promenade (1:100,000). If you are following arrows as well, these might be good enough for a walker, but the footpaths are thin single black lines. There are 1:50,000 available as well. We found them in shops as we went, especially in places like Vezelay, so I expect they will be some in Le Puy. About 5 euros, I think. Cheaper to buy in France than by mail order. But I believe Stamfords is the place to order from in the UK, anyway.

It seems to be harder to find proper maps in shops in Spain, but I have less experience of that. I ordered the maps for the Camino Ingles from http://www.tiendaverde.es .I think 3 plus postage came to about 20 euros.

Gulliver, seeing that this post appears in the Le puy section of the forum I am assuming that you are interested in that part of the path. There are maps available for that section, but I would suggest that purchasing the relevant Topo guides (there are 3 for the Le Puy route) would be a good idea. They are in French, but on each facing page the relevant map (I think it may be a scale of 1:50thou. but not sure - the detailed scale at any rate) appears opposite the descriptions of the path. From memory the guide books are from le Puy to Figeac, Figeac to Moissac and the last one from Moissac to the Pyrenees. I don't have copies of them but is roughly how they are divided. The maps in these guides are very detailed showing exactly where the path goes, but also be assured that the path is very well waymarked.

Hope this helps, Janet

IGN maps; 1:100,000 for the Le Puy route:

50 - St-Etienne, Le Puy-en-Velay
58 - Rodez, Mende
57 - Cahors, Montauban
56 - (just a corner; you do not really need it)
63 - Tarbe, Auch
69 - Pau, Bayonne

They are 6 to 9 Euro in bookstores and tobacco shops in France. Usually you can only get the local one and maybe a couple that connect to it, so you purchase them progressively as you walk.

They are excellent for finding alternative routes when the weather is bad or when the official route is not the most direct route and you are pressed for time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For the Le Puy route I used the maps in the Miam Miam Dodo guide, that is your best bet for accommodation guidance on this route. It is available from the online CSJ bookshop.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back