• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Ultra Lightweight Sleeping Bags for the Pilgrimage in March-April

MTG

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting first Camino (Norte) on 1 Apr 2022
Just wondering from past Pilgrims that have hiked the Frances what recommendations you might have for a good ultra lightweight sleeping bag for March- April. Thanks in advance for your input!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since my first camino, I have carried the 1-season Fjallraven sleeping bag. It only weighs 17 onces. For my March, April, and May caminos, it has been more than sufficient. Light weight, it compresses down into a small package, and has been plenty warm.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bear in mind that you are going to be sleeping indoors on a foam mattress, if you are using albergues for accommodations. A "warm" sleeping bag is not generally needed, buts something good down to 10C definitely is. Many veterans (including me!) use a down quilt rather than a sleeping bag to save weight and size. Plan a silk liner as well. Some complain that the quilts are too slippery and fall off easily. It is true, but the size and weight advantage (as well as cost!) more than make up for this inconvenience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A summer season rated sleeping bag I would recommend and one that doesn't weigh more than 1-1/2 lbs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wondering from past Pilgrims that have hiked the Frances what recommendations you might have for a good ultra lightweight sleeping bag for March- April. Thanks in advance for your input!
Not sure where you are located but Alpkit do a light quilt which I think is called a cloud cover quilt.
light, not expensive and enough if paired with travel sheet
you may also fancy spraying the sheet etc with permethrin before setting off to help ward off any bugs

My wife and I both used the REI Helios last April and May. It was a little cold once or twice, but the albergues had blankets they loaned us to be comfortable. Even without the blankets we would have been fine, just a little cool.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use this sleeping bag that I bought at Decathlon. The large is 680 grams. It is insulated to 15C. I use it in November and December and I do not have a problem with it. A few days I added a blanket but some additional clothes work well too. Alot cheaper than the other models mentioned and I have used the same bag for 3 caminos and it is in as good as shape today as it was when I bought it.

Looks like a sleeping bag and a silk insider is a necessity hiking through the Pyrenees in March but in April as well from Puente La Reina to Santiago as well?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks like a sleeping bag and a silk insider is a necessity hiking through the Pyrenees in March but in April as well from Puente La Reina to Santiago as well?
When you are anywhere near the Pyrenees, you will be sleeping in a heated albergue (SJPP, Orisson, Roncesvalles). Occasionally elsewhere you will find an unheated albergue. Layering various clothes should be enough, combined with quite a lightweight sleeping bag and/or liner. A puffy jacket or vest is nice to have in the evenings and can be worn to bed. Don't waste space/weight in a heavier sleeping bag when your clothes can serve more purposes.

This is just what I did and it worked. I have a down 3/4 length over jacket for cold mornings. Weighs like a feather. Second use for it - put a leg into each arm for sleeping and it covers most of lower body as a blanket. Top half of body fully dressed. I didn't carry a sleeping bag of any description.

I love my small (one pound) sea to summit traveller 1 down bag. It is a very light bag. I still was chilly some nights in some albergues....but clothes, bag, and a liner usually worked. And it opens up and makes a nice light blanket.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When you are anywhere near the Pyrenees, you will be sleeping in a heated albergue (SJPP, Orisson, Roncesvalles). Occasionally elsewhere you will find an unheated albergue. Layering various clothes should be enough, combined with quite a lightweight sleeping bag and/or liner. A puffy jacket or vest is nice to have in the evenings and can be worn to bed. Don't waste space/weight in a heavier sleeping bag when your clothes can serve more purposes.
Ordered an Ultra Light weight one with goose down just over 1lb yesterday; thanks

Not sure where you are located but Alpkit do a light quilt which I think is called a cloud cover quilt.
light, not expensive and enough if paired with travel sheet
you may also fancy spraying the sheet etc with permethrin before setting off to help ward off any bugs
This is what I used with a silk bag liner, would recommend

Hi, I have a question. I ordered a mummy sleeping bag, and I am going to buy a liner. I have heard comments about the mummy format being a bit uncomfortable for side-sleepers (which I am.) Having in mind that I may want to use the liner without the sleeping bag, I thought of getting a rectangular liner. Has anybody experienced this combination mummy sleeping bag/rectangular liner being an issue?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am going to buy a liner.
Has anybody experienced this combination
Why are you buying a liner? Is it to line your sleeping bag to keep it clean and add warmth, to put outside of the mummy bag to add a layer of warmth, or only to use completely separately on hot nights? Some people simply don't like being constricted in a mummy bag, and other people think it is nice and cosy. Used separately, it is totally a personal preference between rectangular and mummy styles.

It is hard to comment on the combination since I don't quite understand how you would intend to combine them. Some people put a down blanket inside a liner because the liner enclosure helps keep the blanket from slipping off so easily, That might apply if you intend to open up the mummy bag and use it more as a blanket.

Why are you buying a liner? Is it to line your sleeping bag to keep it clean and add warmth, to put outside of the mummy bag to add a layer of warmth, or only to use completely separately on hot nights? Some people simply don't like being constricted in a mummy bag, and other people think it is nice and cosy. Used separately, it is totally a personal preference between rectangular and mummy styles.

It is hard to comment on the combination since I don't quite understand how you would intend to combine them. Some people put a down blanket inside a liner because the liner enclosure helps keep the blanket from slipping off so easily, That might apply if you intend to open up the mummy bag and use it more as a blanket.
HI C Clearly, you are helping me get to my real concern. I have a mummy sleeping bag for above 30 degrees which I intend to use as a sleeping bag, and I am trying to justify buying a liner to use it inside the sleeping bag. In the April-May time that I will be there, the average temperature will be 55F/ 12.7C. My real question is, will the 30 degree sleeping bag (without a liner) keep me warm around the 55 degree albergue's temperature? Please chime in...:)

Ok. What other clothes will you have, for example a fleece or down vest/jacket, or a base layer of merino wool that you can sleep in, or layer any time? Buff? Wool socks? Most of the time your 30° bag will likely be fine, but in the worst case, put on all your layers, which can be clothes instead of official bedding. That is why you need to plan everything as a system of multiuse layers.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ok. What other clothes will you have, for example a fleece or down vest/jacket, or a base layer of merino wool that you can sleep in, or layer any time? Buff? Wool socks? Most of the time your 30° bag will likely be fine, but in the worst case, put on all your layers, which can be clothes instead of official bedding. That is why you need to plan everything as a system of multiuse layers.
Totally agree! I feel a lot better about optimizing the use of the clothes that I am bringing instead of adding to the weight and the budget. Thank you so much!

This is just what I did and it worked. I have a down 3/4 length over jacket for cold mornings. Weighs like a feather. Second use for it - put a leg into each arm for sleeping and it covers most of lower body as a blanket. Top half of body fully dressed. I didn't carry a sleeping bag of any description.
I have been mixing layers of clothes for sleep during Camino, but I just now realized that I can add my fleece jacket as a bonus layer for legs. Thanks! This concept will save me a ton of backpack space.

Just to clarify for others. I am hiking with a 300 gram silk/merino blanket as gear that is only for sleeping. It really takes no space. In addition I have clean socks, leggings, shirt and fleece jacket for both sleeping and evening wear.

For a Spring Camino I will only have to add for sleeping knee high woolen socks, a puffy jacket and a beanie hat. All three bonus items will be potentially also used for morning hiking at freezing temperatures on the Via de la Plata next Spring.

I love my Sea to Summit TR1. Its a lightweight down sleeping bag that you can unzip completely to create a normal duvet/blanket/quilt. I combine this with a silk liner.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been mixing layers of clothes for sleep during Camino, but I just now realized that I can add my fleece jacket as a bonus layer for legs. Thanks! This concept will save me a ton of backpack space.

Just to clarify for others. I am hiking with a 300 gram silk/merino blanket as gear that is only for sleeping. It really takes no space. In addition I have clean socks, leggings, shirt and fleece jacket for both sleeping and evening wear.

For a Spring Camino I will only have to add for sleeping knee high woolen socks, a puffy jacket and a beanie hat. All three bonus items will be potentially also used for morning hiking at freezing temperatures on the Via de la Plata next Spring.
Note: I did just purchase the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme for Via de la Plata for early Spring next year. It does fit in the waterproof cover pocket underneath my backpack. I will just put the waterproof cover to one of the belt pockets.

Currently shopping for a ultralight sleep system and I've seen some great looking super light down and synthetic bags like the Sea to Summit traveler, Near Zero, or quilts from Enlightened Equipment. However, I'm worried about ruining nice (and expensive!!!) gear if it gets exposed to bedbugs and has to go in the dryer. EE recommended freezing the synthetic quilt but I wasn't sure if that would be an option on the camino. Anyone have experience treating ultralight bags/quilts while walking?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Currently shopping for a ultralight sleep system and I've seen some great looking super light down and synthetic bags like the Sea to Summit traveler, Near Zero, or quilts from Enlightened Equipment. However, I'm worried about ruining nice (and expensive!!!) gear if it gets exposed to bedbugs and has to go in the dryer. EE recommended freezing the synthetic quilt but I wasn't sure if that would be an option on the camino. Anyone have experience treating ultralight bags/quilts while walking?
I havent had to treat my Sea to Summit TR1 for bedbugs yet, but if I have to I would do it with steam. Could try to ask a drycleaner (tintoreria), or a car cleaner might also have a steamer

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.