• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino March 15, 2022 - Via de la Plata, Camino Sanabres & Fisterra/Muxia

g.preece155

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm in Seville and technically, have started my Camino. (I've walked the first 1km or so from the Cathedral so I don't have to loop back on myself in the morning.)

Plan for tomorrow is a short day to Santiponce and Italica before aiming for Castilblanco on Thursday.

I'll post another update at the weekend when I have a few days under my belt but until then, I'll leave you with a photo of the Cathedral.

20220315_165006.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm so excited for you! You're going to love Italica!

Merida is worth more than a day to see.
The ruins are spectacular! Don't miss Casa Mitrio.
We also loved seeing The Basilica of Sta. Eulalia and thought it was worth the visit.
We stayed at Hostal Abadias. The albergue is nice, but don't leave anything of value there as there have been thefts.
You look young, but for anyone older, our Tarjeta Dorado got us into the ruins at a discount.
If you like roasted chicken, El Palacio del Pollo is great.

And.. everything alexwalker said.

I'm so excited for you! You're going to love Italica!

Merida is worth more than a day to see.
The ruins are spectacular! Don't miss Casa Mitrio.
We also loved seeing The Basilica of Sta. Eulalia and thought it was worth the visit.
We stayed at Hostal Abadias. The albergue is nice, but don't leave anything of value there as there have been thefts.
You look young, but for anyone older, our Tarjeta Dorado got us into the ruins at a discount.
If you like roasted chicken, El Palacio del Pollo is great.

And.. everything alexwalker said.
Annie, do you mean the RENFE tarjeta dorada or is there another government one?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How is it going G? Please do keep the updates coming as I'd be interested in your experiences and outlook.
Hope you're well out there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Apologies for the delayed update. (I had planned to do an update yesterday but the lure of a hot bath and a football match meant I didn't have time.)

Here are my notes/thoughts for the first few days on the VdlP:

Day 1 - Seville (1.1km)

Walk - Not much to say for obvious reasons except it's best to either follow the arrows/markings OR an app. (I was doing both and kept missing where I was meant to go!)

Tip - For any one looking to visit the Cathedral, they don't open for tourist visits until 10.45 meaning it's best to go the day before you start your walk. (I'm not sure whether there is an early morning service you could attend if you were looking to get your credential stamped before setting off.)

Accommodation - Triana Backpackers
Pros - clean, comfortable, friendly staff, lots of bathrooms, close to local restaurants and bars, well supplied kitchen.
Cons - not exclusive to pilgrims. I get the impression this place could be quite noisy on weekends/during busy periods.

Day 2 - Seville to Santiponce (7.8km)

Walk - When leaving the city, don't be concerned about the busy roads, it's well signposted and there are proper pedestrian crossings so no scrabbling through traffic.

The walk along the Guadalquivir was nice and soft under foot but not muddy even though it had been raining the day before.

When approaching the finca/farm just after the Guadalquivir, it will be very muddy and difficult to walk on if it has been raining.

Don't be alarmed by the gunshots when approaching the overhead motorway, this is the HQ for the Andalucian Olympic Shooting Federation.

The walk all the way to Santiponce is very well marked.

Tip - As @Anniesantiago and @Corned Beef mention, Itálica was amazing, and for me is not to be missed. If you can't stay in Santiponce at least visit the ruins to break up your first day's walk.

I also loved the Monesterio de San Isidro del Campo. It had some beautiful altarpieces and some fantastic artwork - also well worth a visit.

Accommodation - Itálica Hostel
Pros - new, clean, comfortable, warm welcome, well equipped kitchen (although only one ring hot plate), quiet (I had the 10 man dorm to myself and managed to get a good 8 and a half hours on uninterrupted sleep.)
Cons - not exclusive to pilgrims although I think this would be less of an issue than at Triana Backpackers.

Day 3 - Santiponce to Castilblanco de los Arroyos (31.2km)

Walk - Careful when leaving Santiponce as you have to cross some busy roads.

The walk to Guillena has some very gentle rolling hills on easy terrain and is a straight walk for most of the way. (Not sure whether this would be the case after heavy rain.)

Where the Camino is flooded on this stage, be aware that the "girder crossing" is slightly bouncy when you reach the middle! (That caught me off guard slightly.)

The terrain after leaving Guillena (past the industrial estate) is very difficult when wet. (Thick clay-like mud that sticks to your boots.)

The remainder of this walk is on a mix of terrains but the part just after the industrial estate mentioned above was the worst.

Tip - Remember to carry plenty of water. (If you are particularly eco conscious then a water bladder is a must as I have had to resort to buying bottled water on a couple of occasions.)

Accommodation - Albergue de peregrines de Castilblanco de los Arroyos
Pros - Donativo, warm welcome (included a temperature check), well equipped kitchen (including two ring hot plate), clothes washing facilities on roof terrace, plenty of washing lines for drying clothes.
Cons - The clothes washing facilities are limited - the tap does not run very well.

I'll do another post tomorrow with a couple of days of updates (I'm currently in Zafra) but here are my general thoughts so far:

For anyone who enjoys walking solo (this includes me), this is the ideal Camino. There are less pilgrims and it seems that quite a few of the ones walking are more interested in walking solo/sticking to their couples/groups. (I would say if you're somebody who likes to make a Camino Family, this might not be the one for you or it may be better to walk at a busier time.)

Due to it being quieter, I've found it so much easier to slip into "Pilgrim Mode" (where your mind empties) than on the Frances.

The scenery is lovely. Lots of rolling hills with a few steeper climbs but nothing as bad as on the Frances.

The flip side of that, is there are some really tough, long stages without places to stop. (This is not an "easy" Camino as I saw somebody describe it on the Forum!)

Thanks for the update.
Do you have any plans to wild sleep or is your intention to use albergues?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Apologies for the delayed update. (I had planned to do an update yesterday but the lure of a hot bath and a football match meant I didn't have time.)

Day 1 - Seville (1.1km)

Walk - Not much to say for obvious reasons except it's best to either follow the arrows/markings OR an app. (I was doing both and kept missing where I was meant to go!)

Tip - For any one looking to visit the Cathedral, they don't open for tourist visits until 10.45 meaning it's best to go the day before you start your walk. (I'm not sure whether there is an early morning service you could attend if you were looking to get your credential stamped before setting off.)

Pros - clean, comfortable, friendly staff, lots of bathrooms, close to local restaurants and bars, well supplied kitchen.
Cons - not exclusive to pilgrims. I get the impression this place could be quite noisy on weekends/during busy periods.

Walk - When leaving the city, don't be concerned about the busy roads, it's well signposted and there are proper pedestrian crossings so no scrabbling through traffic.

The walk along the Guadalquivir was nice and soft under foot but not muddy even though it had been raining the day before.

When approaching the finca/farm just after the Guadalquivir, it will be very muddy and difficult to walk on if it has been raining.

Don't be alarmed by the gunshots when approaching the overhead motorway, this is the HQ for the Andalucian Olympic Shooting Federation.

Tip - As @Anniesantiago and @Corned Beef mention, Itálica was amazing, and for me is not to be missed. If you can't stay in Santiponce at least visit the ruins to break up your first day's walk.

I also loved the Monesterio de San Isidro del Campo. It had some beautiful altarpieces and some fantastic artwork - also well worth a visit.

Pros - new, clean, comfortable, warm welcome, well equipped kitchen (although only one ring hot plate), quiet (I had the 10 man dorm to myself and managed to get a good 8 and a half hours on uninterrupted sleep.)
Cons - not exclusive to pilgrims although I think this would be less of an issue than at Triana Backpackers.

The walk to Guillena has some very gentle rolling hills on easy terrain and is a straight walk for most of the way. (Not sure whether this would be the case after heavy rain.)

Where the Camino is flooded on this stage, be aware that the "girder crossing" is slightly bouncy when you reach the middle! (That caught me off guard slightly.)

The terrain after leaving Guillena (past the industrial estate) is very difficult when wet. (Thick clay-like mud that sticks to your boots.)

The remainder of this walk is on a mix of terrains but the part just after the industrial estate mentioned above was the worst.

Tip - Remember to carry plenty of water. (If you are particularly eco conscious then a water bladder is a must as I have had to resort to buying bottled water on a couple of occasions.)

Pros - Donativo, warm welcome (included a temperature check), well equipped kitchen (including two ring hot plate), clothes washing facilities on roof terrace, plenty of washing lines for drying clothes.
Cons - The clothes washing facilities are limited - the tap does not run very well.

I'll do another post tomorrow with a couple of days of updates (I'm currently in Zafra) but here are my general thoughts so far:

For anyone who enjoys walking solo (this includes me), this is the ideal Camino. There are less pilgrims and it seems that quite a few of the ones walking are more interested in walking solo/sticking to their couples/groups. (I would say if you're somebody who likes to make a Camino Family, this might not be the one for you or it may be better to walk at a busier time.)

Due to it being quieter, I've found it so much easier to slip into "Pilgrim Mode" (where your mind empties) than on the Frances.

The scenery is lovely. Lots of rolling hills with a few steeper climbs but nothing as bad as on the Frances.

The flip side of that, is there are some really tough, long stages without places to stop. (This is not an "easy" Camino as I saw somebody describe it on the Forum!)
Great read, have an awesome trip!!
Is this like camino frances where you can pay with card, or do you need cash???

Kind Regards Michael

Day 1 - Seville (1.1km)

Excellent posts , really informative… I hope you are enjoying the camino….

Day 1 - Seville (1.1km)

I see you live in Manchester. I’m leaving from hebden bridge….

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back