• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 18 or 19: Shared cab from Pamplona to SJP

EWard

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018 (planned)
Hi Folks - Would anyone like to share my cab fare from Pamplona to SJP on either of these days?

I arrive in Pamplona at 14:40 on March 18th on the train and have arranged for a cab to take me to SJP for 100 Euro. It seems like the only option to get right SJP this time of year and it is a lot to pay for one. I would like to start the walk from SJP on March 19th (but I am flexible if someone wants to share a ride). Please message me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Emily, it is best not to post your personal email address. People will be able to contact you through a private message on the forum.

Having taken a taxi like you are planning, I can recommend it as a splurge. For me, it was more comfortable than a bus over the mountain, and the driver had a lot interesting information.

Look up http://www.taxipamplona.com/comparte.php . You may be able to find a share through this.

Hey - thank you! I took off my email. Thanks for the tip. It looks like the link you sent is the same price of the one I booked. I am up for the splurge because I will probably still be jetlagged, anyway, and want to start off somewhat well rested. Hopefully some other carpoolers will surface. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Based on your arrival in Pamplona I'm assuming you are flying to Madrid and taking the train from there. Another option I used last year was to take the 7:30am train from Madrid to Irun/Hendaye and then booked a second train from Hendaye to SJPdP. I did both legs from Madrid to SjPP at the beginning of last April for under 50 euro total and only had a couple of transfers without any mad dashing.

I too had a Sunday arrival in Madrid and found Sunday travel on the train is usually around 10 euro more than Monday, and since my flight made it a rush to go from the airport to the train station I stayed in a hostel in Madrid on Sunday afternoon/evening (the brilliant OK Hostel in Madrid) that was a short walk to the metro and train station. The first leg of the trip from Madrid to Irun takes around 6 hours and the train was practically empty and relaxed. The 2 hour layover in Hendaye on the France/Spain border allowed for lunch at the bakery/diner across the road from the train station and then the short trip to Bayonne and then the 45 minute bus to SjPP (since the SjPP train was not running). I arrived in SJPdP a bit after 6:00pm

You'll find that many of the websites like Rome2Rio may not show the routes over 2 months from departure but you can see the routes and prices but putting Sunday or Monday trips one month away. Also note that Irun (Spain) and Hendaye (France) are a very short distance (30 minute walk) and you may need to book Madrid to Irun if Hendaye does not appear. The train actually goes to Hendaye but since it crosses an international border may not appear in some applications. For me I just stayed on the train between the two stops although my ticket said Irun. Also don't be confused by the Pamplona "Iruna" stop... where Iruna is the train station. This route is to town of "Irun" which is right on the Spain/France border on the coast.

March is a great time for the CF. I'm a couple weeks ahead of you and am looking forward to relative calm before the storm after Easter! cheers

Hi - thank you very much for the great tips. I figured there was likely a way to get closer by train or bus, but just not posted. When I have traveled in the past, it had been hard to find cross border schedules online. Rome2Rio is a good site.

If I find some people, I would still love to just split a taxi, but this is so great to know if not.

The Irun/Iruna tip is helpful, too.

I, too, am very much looking forward to the walk in March. I am looking forward to meeting people, but I want to do it before high season.

I wish both of us mostly decent weather. Buen Camino!

If anyone is interested in splitting this cab on 3/18, please send me a message! Still trying to split this cost. Thanks!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I arrive in Pamplona at 14:40 on March 18th on the train and have arranged for a cab to take me to SJP for 100 Euro. It seems like the only option to get right SJP this time of year and it is a lot to pay for one. I would like to start the walk from SJP on March 19th (but I am flexible if someone wants to share a ride).
The cab still looks like the best bet for you especially if you do get people to share the ride but the 22 euro ALSA/CONDA bus between Pamplona and SJPdP is running on the 18th (it leaves at 14:30, ten minutes before you get to Pamplona.) It also runs at the same time on the 19th. There is a reason why people do not see the ALSA/CONDA bus to SJPdP even when the bus is running; you have to spell out Saint in full in the destination field.

The cab still looks like the best bet for you especially if you do get people to share the ride but the 22 euro ALSA/CONDA bus between Pamplona and SJPdP is running on the 18th (it leaves at 14:30, ten minutes before you get to Pamplona.) It also runs at the same time on the 19th. There is a reason why people do not see the ALSA/CONDA bus to SJPdP even when the bus is running; you have to spell out Saint in full in the destination field.
This is so helpful! Thank you for informing me of the quirk with the spelling. This is a bummer that the bus and my train arrival are not better aligned. If I wait to take the bus until the 19th, that will put me back a day. Maybe I will get lucky and have a early train arrival. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back