• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2012 to Merida Experience

tipperary

Hi
I walked to Merida In 8 stages finishing on 15th.
Here are my Experiences
1 The weather was hot for the time of year reaching 25 c + everyday. Constant sun, but cool early
morning and at night
2Long distances between villages,some stages very uneven in distance. Difficult to avoid 40 km days.
3Drying base layers very easy every evening. I had too many changes of clothes. Loose fitting base
layers very good in heat.
4 My pack weight without food and water was 6kg, far too heavy when one adds in about 4kg food
and water for long stages
5 The first 15 km out of Castilblanco is on a busy sealed road,not pleasant. I should have taken a taxi.
6 This camino is not as extensively marked as others so one needs to be alert to see markers . This is especially true leaving towns and thanks to the locals who put me on the way.
7 after two days the numbers settled down to about 6 pilgrims each night and down to 3 in Merida.
8 I didnt use a hydration system and doing so would have made it easier to stay hydrated.
Overall this is a very enjoyable route, but i judge that from El Real Del Jara on is is very easy
mountain bike territory.
9 There seems to be a new albergue at entry to El Real Del Jara 10 euro . Excellent in every way 10
spaces spread over 3 rooms.
10 In Calzadilla de los Barros I stayed in Pension Los Rodrigues Just up from the church on the
N 630 15 euro for a single and meals available.
11 The tourist Albergue 3km before before Villafranca De los Baros was closed . Everyone stays in
Casa Perin 18 euro
Buen camino to all starting over the easter period
justin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Justin,

As one leaving Seville March 29th, I just wanted to say thank you for this information!

Allison

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Micbook
I didnt use a guide book as such as i was on an 8 day camino. Instead i used info from this forum and Mundicamino and a road map. To be honest there were a few times I wished i had one to refer to. This was mainly to assist in finding the way out of towns as these are not always as well marked as on other caminos.
Buen Camino
Justin

Oh what a difference 2 weeks make!!! I just finished walking Day 4 of the VdP and this is what I've found so far:

1. The weather was hot = overcast, cool and rained last night and today and probably next day or two. No worries about carrying lots of heavy water! (1L=1 kilo!!)

5 The first 15 km out of Castilblanco is on a busy sealed road,not pleasant. I should have taken a taxi.
A: I followed Justin's advice and took the taxi with 2 others. Best advice! Some pilgrims getting up before 6am to walk and it's not even hot out! I ended up walking on to El Real de la Jara = 30kms. Gorgeous undulating walk.

6 This camino is not as extensively marked - so far no problem, actually surprised at how many arrows but it's still early yet!

7 after two days the numbers settled down to about 6 pilgrims each night and down to 3 in Merida.
- oh my goodness! There was at least 45 pilgrims in Castiblanco. I personally found accommodation for 8 pilgrims at the pension where I was staying (señora Salvadora's, av. Espana 43, (just past church on Camino €10) because either they didn't like the look of the cramped albergue or it was full. One of my taxi mates told me there were only about a dozen pilgrims total the day before. She had a rest day there due to blisters. Another reason I walked ahead a stage yesterday...

9 There seems to be a new albergue at entry to El Real Del Jara 10 euro . Excellent in every way 10
spaces spread over 3 rooms. - yup, I agree but only one bathroom :(

I'm staying at Hostal Extramdura in Monesterio. Single hotel room with own bath & TV for €10, same price as albergue. Just keep walking down Camino, it's just past Correos on right.

Buen Camino, Allison

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Allison,
Interesting reading about your experiences now along the VdlP. Wow, 45 pilgrims in Castiblanco!!! We were only 7 this past July and then the numbers narrowed down to about 3-4 although most nights it was just myself and my walking buddy that I met on day 1!
Keep posting!
Cheers,
LT

Allison,
When you come to Merida: After crossing the brigde, turn left and the albergue is ca. 200 m. straight on, on your left hand. It is a very good albergue. Merida is quite a place; I advice to take time off to see the Roman ruins. Amongst them, a theatre with columns in two stories high!!!

Your choice of taxi out of Castilblanco was a smart one: We were 4 who did the same thing: Rain was pouring down and the 16 km. road was dangerous! But the walk afterwards through the National Park was quite something! And the rain stopped and the sun shone :wink:

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Micbook,
have just started reading your blog: Outstanding writing skills!!!
I wll strongly advice you to do a little planning beforehand, as the first stages (through Extremadura) are up to 40 kms wthout ANYTHING in between... There's a reason why the district has gotten that name... :wink:

I use the CSJ guide and a printout (laminated) of the route that you can create here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back