• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2017

Laurancetsang

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2012 Camino Frances
March 2017
Hello people.
I walked the Camino Frances in June of 2012 and am back for another round. This time i am going in early march as I have time constraints and work commitments so only have 2 weeks or so. Just wondering if anyone else is planning at this time and/or if anyone has already walked this early in the year. Am I expecting to be constantly snowed in? Are albergues open at this time of year

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm looking at starting in late March.

Hello people.
I walked the Camino Frances in June of 2012 and am back for another round. This time i am going in early march as I have time constraints and work commitments so only have 2 weeks or so. Just wondering if anyone else is planning at this time and/or if anyone has already walked this early in the year. Am I expecting to be constantly snowed in? Are albergues open at this time of year

Congratulations on returning to the Frances. With only two weeks you are obviously not going to complete the whole 800 km. So are you aiming to achieve a "compostela" ? If so then it then depends upon how fast you walk. From Burgos is 490 km (as per Brierley) and 310 km from Leon - which is probably a more appropriate target.
Weather - you can anticipate that snow is likely to lying around (ie on the ground) on the climb up to the Cruz de Ferro. The walkers trail may even be covered in snow necessitating walking (or following) the road. As for albergues - I think if you download the data on all Camino Frances albergues (I think its a link at the start of the Forum page). Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you have 14 days, the Portuguese from Porto can be very nice in the spring (and took us about 10, I think)...

I was looking at the Camino Frances again but do it in 2 halves this time. I may be able to get a few weeks off in September/October next year to finish my Camino. I'll have a look at the albergue list. Thanks

Hello people.
Hi, I have just returned from 2 weeks on Camino Frances. I started in SJPP with the idea of walking as far as I could. I had a flight booked out of Logrono (to Madrid) with the idea of catching a bus back. I walked further than Logrono but then decided to experience walking back so I returned to Logrono on foot. It was a wonderful experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I remember logrono it was a nice place and some good food. I hung out with all the koreanos who were photo bombing everyone's photos. I am hoping to get to Burgos or beyond in my 2 weeks and then get a bus to Leon or Madrid to get a flight back to the uk. Madrid might be the better option but I still need to work it out

I'm walking from mid March. Maybe I'll see you
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I'm flying out 2 days later from Stansted on 30 March with my two boys, so I'm pretty sure we will see you at some point. How long are you giving yourself? We have 30 days of walking. Flying back on 1 May
Cheers
Martin
As an old geezer I'm taking it a bit slow. My flight home is set for 15 May. That should be time enough to continue on to Finisterre.

A question to the others walking during the same time-frame as me - starting around 1 April. Where/how do you plan to spend Easter? We'll be somewhere in the Meseta. My most aggressive schedule places me in Sahagun, my least Burgos. Most likely, I'll be in one of the many small villages in between. Any thoughts whether that's an issue?

Why should it be an issue @GeorgeP also the small villages celebrate Easter and perhaps the hospitaler@ let's you go to the Easter Vigil (normally with Easter fire) even if it is past albergue closing time. Buen Camino, SY

A question to the others walking during the same time-frame as me - starting around 1 April. Where/how do you plan to spend Easter? We'll be somewhere in the Meseta. My most aggressive schedule places me in Sahagun, my least Burgos. Most likely, I'll be in one of the many small villages in between. Any thoughts whether that's an issue?

No issue at all! I remember me being " stuck ' in a procession on Good Friday in Belorado. Wonderful experience. Just savour the moments. Especially the atmosphere in the smaller villages is wonderful in that time period.

The walk into Burgos was on Easter Monday...no traffic to speak of and it made this etapa a very relaxed affair.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am planning on my first Camino starting in late March too. I'll be the American woman, looking lost, saying, "Perdóname? Habla usted Inglés?

Not important, but it would be better "Disculpe".
"Disculpe" is like "excuse me", a standard polite form when addressing a person.
"Perdón" is rather "I am sorry".
Buen camino!

It's good that you are planning ahead for that...and it probably means what "issue" means. I'd plan on having something in my pack to eat in case no place is open for shopping and the restaurants are closed. If it means "I'd rather not be in a huge crowd of people" I'd stay inside during the festivities. If it means "will there be a hoard of people walking the camino during Holy Week" I leave that to someone who might know.:)

No issue at all! I remember me being " stuck ' in a procession on Good Friday in Belorado. Wonderful experience. Just savour the moments. Especially the atmosphere in the smaller villages is wonderful in that time period.

The walk into Burgos was on Easter Monday...no traffic to speak of and it made this etapa a very relaxed affair.
Thanks for sharing. Although I may hold some concerns about the logistics of Easter (restaurant and albergue closings), my question was more motivated by a desire to get the most from the experience. Yes, I will try to savor the moment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for sharing. Although I may hold some concerns about the logistics of Easter (restaurant and albergue closings), my question was more motivated by a desire to get the most from the experience. Yes, I will try to savor the moment.

And to add: I had no troubles finding lodgings. And the restaurants can be packed with Spanish families but that is a good thing imho ...I just followed them ;)

I spent a few nights in Logarno over Easter on my last Camino. We were allowed to stay longer at the albergue as they had word that the accommodation in the villages ahead, was fully booked. It was a wonderful place to enjoy the parade each day. The parade changed a bit each day and by Easter Sunday it was huge with a fantastic family friendly vibe. The restaurants were open every day, so no issues with food. We walked out Easter Monday, through a silent empty town. Easter in a larger town was definitely a highlight of that Camino.

I spent 2 days in Ponferrada (Wednesday and Thursday, leaving on Good Friday) last (2016) Easter week. It was fascinating! We had booked accommodation a few days before, which I recommend if you are staying in any major city (although the albergues may not be particularly affected). I never noticed any difference with respect to restaurants and shop opening times.

Burgos has many processions and activities during Holy Week, so perhaps you'll want to stay an extra day or 2 there. Maybe make your reservation at least a week in advance, though.

This photo was taken in Ponferrada.

Attachments

• 20160325_092121.jpg
    20160325_092121.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I spent Easter in Burgose, very fun parades music. Villafranca after Easter they had a palm celebration I am assuming it would be another fun place during Easter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello people.

I am beginning March 14-April 19, 2017. This will be my first time and am looking forward to this journey. Hopefully I will see you along the way!

I am beginning March 14-April 19, 2017. This will be my first time and am looking forward to this journey. Hopefully I will see you along the way!

Hiya,

It's my first time also.... From what I understand, some albergues will be closed; If you're planning on stopping in Grisson (first stop from SJPP), I think they only open April 1st.....double check beforehand.

Hope to see you along the way; I will be only covering 8-12 miles a day; A bit slower than most peregrinoes!!

Kate

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Kate, looks like you will be traveling at about the same speed as me :) Though I will be a few days in front of you.

Hey Kate, looks like you will be traveling at about the same speed as me :) Though I will be a few days in front of you.

Hi Chaya,

Well, I'm 50+ and training until I go; My next step is to get my backpack to train with that, fully loaded. Will you be walking everyday? I HOPE to walk about 10 miles a day (5 days/week); Then on my "rest days" to do about 3-5 miles (2 days per week).

Hi Chaya,

Well, I'm 50+ and training until I go; My next step is to get my backpack to train with that, fully loaded. Will you be walking everyday? I HOPE to walk about 10 miles a day (5 days/week); Then on my "rest days" to do about 3-5 miles (2 days per week).
Same age and same speed and lots of rest days! Love it!
I'd personal message you, however I cant seem to figure it out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Same age and same speed and lots of rest days! Love it!
I'd personal message you, however I cant seem to figure it out.

Also, don't forget, the refugion at Grisson (5-6 miles from SJPP) may not be open until 4/1..... next stop, I think is Roncellvalles....

Will be staring my first Camino March 24th - looks like I will have lots of company. Anyone know if the Orisson Refuge is open then. Not getting replies to my emails.

Any alternates apart from walking all the way to Roncesvalles?

As far as I know, the refugio at Orisson opens approximately 4/1 or after; I too, have not received any reply to my emails requesting space on April 1st......

If you walk the Valcarlos (longer, but less steep) way instead of the Napoleon route (steeper, but a little shorter), there might be other refugios to stay at until you reach Roncesvalles. Check guidebooks that list all the refugios/albergues along each route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just looked at some other postings - the Napoleon route will probably be closed until April 1st! Will need to walk the Valcarlos route, unless the weather is abnormally warm.

Just looked at some other postings - the Napoleon route will probably be closed until April 1st! Will need to walk the Valcarlos route, unless the weather is abnormally warm.
I believe that the Napoleon route does not officially open until 1 April. Even after that date they could decide that it is too dangerous, so you would be directed to the Valcarlos route.

Yes, the Napoleon Route is closed at least 31st March including so all pilgrims will have to take the way via Valcarlos then. Also, there is nothing between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. I suggest that you decide when you have arrived at Valcarlos if you want/can carry on to Roncesvalles (bearing in mind that the steepest bit is still ahead of you!) or stay in the albergue in Valcarlos. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not important, but it would be better "Disculpe".
"Disculpe" is like "excuse me", a standard polite form when addressing a person.
"Perdón" is rather "I am sorry".
Buen camino!
Gracias, Felipe. I'm glad to know the finer and proper points of language. I fear, though, if I sound like I know what I'm saying, someone will continue to speak past my ability to understand. (Now to my dictionnario to fix "disculpar" in my head.)

Hello people.
I'm a newbie and will be walking the Camino Frances beginning March 8 until April 11. My two questions are 1) is there a list of albergues open in early March? 2) What could the temperature ranges be? I have read that I should expect lots of rain.

I've not been at this time of year before but expecting it to be freezing at some points and raining. Also not sure about all the allergies but have been told the pilgrims office in st jean should have all the info when you arrive. Booking my flight tomorrow on 10th so will be a few days behind you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a newbie and will be walking the Camino Frances beginning March 8 until April 11. My two questions are 1) is there a list of albergues open in early March? 2) What could the temperature ranges be? I have read that I should expect lots of rain.
1. there may be a list, or you can check the websites listing albergues, like http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/, and gronze.com, and click on albergues to see if they have dates they are closed, or are open all year
2. for temperatures use any weather website of choice and use the past years function to look up weather in the major cities through which you will be walking. I used accuweather.com but I think most sites are able to show past years. that said, Mar/Apr is extremely variable so keep checking the weather predicted as your departure date nears, and take layers to adjust. I think rain is probably a good prediction, and depending on the altitude of where you will be walking, possibly snow. I walked in Apr/May, used my rain gear a lot (ball cap was good under the hood for keeping rain out of face), and the poles I thought I"d never use were used a lot walking on ice or through mud.
Buen Camino

I've not been at this time of year before but expecting it to be freezing at some points and raining. Also not sure about all the allergies but have been told the pilgrims office in st jean should have all the info when you arrive. Booking my flight tomorrow on 10th so will be a few days behind you
Thank you Laurancetsang, hope to see you on the Camino!

1. there may be a list, or you can check the websites listing albergues, like http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/, and gronze.com, and click on albergues to see if they have dates they are closed, or are open all year
2. for temperatures use any weather website of choice and use the past years function to look up weather in the major cities through which you will be walking. I used accuweather.com but I think most sites are able to show past years. that said, Mar/Apr is extremely variable so keep checking the weather predicted as your departure date nears, and take layers to adjust. I think rain is probably a good prediction, and depending on the altitude of where you will be walking, possibly snow. I walked in Apr/May, used my rain gear a lot (ball cap was good under the hood for keeping rain out of face), and the poles I thought I"d never use were used a lot walking on ice or through mud.
Buen Camino
The web page you referenced, Smallest_Sparrow, is fantastic! Thank you very much. I will also be bringing a walking stick and lots of rain gear.

I've got my ticket now. I'll be leaving on March 23rd and arriving in SJPdP on the 24th.
Might see you as we are starting from SJPDP on that day. Did Leon to Santiago this year in March now want to start from the beginning.

Might see you as we are starting from SJPDP on that day. Did Leon to Santiago this year in March now want to start from the beginning.

Great. Will keep and eye out for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm planning on walking Astorga to Sarria (or a little bit further) sometime in March.

I'm thinking the 3rd week as I'll have to be home for a major stocktake at work on 31st and lots of end-of-year finance stuff. Ugh.

I'll be walking from Sarria (or a bit after) at the end of April to coincide with walking into Santiago de Compostela on my 60th birthday - it's going to be quite a party weekend as several friends and family members will be joining me, if not for some or all of those last 100km then in the city.

I spent a few nights in Logarno over Easter on my last Camino. We were allowed to stay longer at the albergue as they had word that the accommodation in the villages ahead, was fully booked. It was a wonderful place to enjoy the parade each day. The parade changed a bit each day and by Easter Sunday it was huge with a fantastic family friendly vibe. The restaurants were open every day, so no issues with food. We walked out Easter Monday, through a silent empty town. Easter in a larger town was definitely a highlight of that Camino.
Thanks for the insights. As things look now I'll probably hit Lograno a few days before Easter. Did any of the towns farther along strike you as having particularly memorable festivities?

Been looking forward to this trip. Bag already prepared and counting the days.
I've just had to cancel my trip due to an upcoming operation which sucks.
Anyway I have an outbound flight from London to Biarritz on 10th of march if anyone is interested. I've been told I can change the name on the flight.
Waste not want not

Been looking forward to this trip. Bag already prepared and counting the days.
I've just had to cancel my trip due to an upcoming operation which sucks.
Anyway I have an outbound flight from London to Biarritz on 10th of march if anyone is interested. I've been told I can change the name on the flight.
Waste not want not

When are you arriving? I just changed my flight, and am now arriving in Biarritz on March 30th. I won't be deciding to walk the Napoleon route or Valcarlos until I arrive in St. Jean and check weather and conditions.

I won't be arriving unfortunately I'll be in hospital and my flights are non refundable

Hello people.
Started St Patrick's Day 2013. Snow on Mount Perdon, (you can just about see it in my profile picture) but not much. That was it until on the trail to Vianna. Phoned my wife back in Ireland and she was experiencing the worst snow in 50 years so saw it on the news that night in a bar. So no snow in Spain at all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll be leaving 2 days before you and walking slow. I'll give you a Buen Camino as you pass me :)

Hoping to set off from SJPdP beginning April 2017. Alas I fractured the base of my fibula (long skinny bone that goes between knee and ankle) a week ago. Stepped in a hole in the grass while walking the dog and turned my ankle. So quick and so easy to do. I'm still hoping to do the Camino despite the rather significant interruption to my training program. Have not yet asked what my doctor thinks about this plan as not sure I want to hear the answer. Assuming I do walk, I've already decided to walk the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back