• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 9th 2016 start for Camino Frances

Equalisist

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2016)
Hi All,
My son Nico and I (Noel) are walking the canmino in March for sure now, so a few questions, hope there ok here :)
We will be arriving Biarritz airport 0n Wednesday 09/03/16 @17:30 so any advice on getting to st jean or transport share would be great?
We've just been told that the Napoleon route is closed until end of March, is this always the case?
Also what is best advised a poncho or waterproof jacket, our packs have rain covers?

Many thanks
Noel & Nico

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Napoleon route is closed due to snow. Apparently someone died of exposure in the past. It will be open supposedly April 1, 16. As far as raingear is concerned The light weight jacket and pants purchased through an outfitting sports store would be sufficient. We are training in similar weather where we live. layering is the best way to keep warm. I carry a poncho for emergency shelter. I have eaten my lunch under it several times, but I don't normally wear it for rain, I prefer rain suits. We are starting our Camino on March 19, 16.
Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi All,
My son Nico and I (Noel) are walking the canmino in March for sure now, so a few questions, hope there ok here :)
We will be arriving Biarritz airport 0n Wednesday 09/03/16 @17:30 so any advice on getting to st jean or transport share would be great?
We've just been told that the Napoleon route is closed until end of March, is this always the case?
Also what is best advised a poncho or waterproof jacket, our packs have rain covers?

Many thanks
Noel & Nico

There are few possibilities to get from Biarritz to SJPP. I will get to Biarritz on March 31st and I am wondering what to choose.
There are buses from the Airport to Bayonne. These end at Bayonne Gare and from there you can get a train to St Jean-Pied-de-Port, and there is another option, more convenient I would say... check it on: http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi All,

Many thanks
Noel & Nico
Hi, after the first of April the Napoleon route will be open when it is safe to walk. Otherwise you have to walk the Valcarlos route.
Wish you both well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi Noel! How old is Nico? The Napoleon route can be quite intense. I honestly felt it to be one of the hardest days of my entire camino.

Hi Noel! How old is Nico? The Napoleon route can be quite intense. I honestly felt it to be one of the hardest days of my entire camino.
Hi Des,
Nico will have his 9th B-day on our walk, he was really looking forward to the first day and the mountain pass. He was born in the Pyrenees so loves the mountains, I have yet to tell him the pass is closed ;(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Des,
Nico will have his 9th B-day on our walk, he was really looking forward to the first day and the mountain pass. He was born in the Pyrenees so loves the mountains, I have yet to tell him the pass is closed ;(

But you might tell him the route that is open, the Valcarlos route, is the original one!

2004%25202.JPG

Here is a modern print depicting Charlemagne mounted finding Roland dead in August 778 on the Valcarlos route near Roncevalles. (For a further description of this scene see this Roncevalles monastery history page) Hence the village of Valcarlos was named in honor of Carlos ie. Charlemagne.

It may come as a surprise but the Valcarlos route was THE original medieval pilgrims' path through the mountains and pass to Roncevalles; the present Napoleon camino over the mountains to Roncevalles is later
It dates from c. 1814.

Whatever the season always ask for advice at the SJPdP Pilgrim office before setting out!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Des,
Having walked both routes I can attest that the ValCarlos is beautiful as well.
El Camino day 1 008.jpg El Camino day 1 014.jpg El Camino day 1 015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back