• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March-April 2016

karry

Time of past OR future Camino
March - April 2016
Hi everyone!

I plan on doing the camino next year during mid March to April from Roncesvalles to Santiago
Does any one have any packing tips? I know this is Spring time.
Also, any advice on cheaper transportation to Roncesvelles from Madrid airport?

Thank you!
Karry

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi everyone!

I plan on doing the camino next year during mid March to April from Roncesvalles to Santiago

Thank you!
Karry

Karry:

There are a number of packing lists in different threads on the forum. I suggest you read through them and adjust according to your personal needs.

Transport from Madrid to Pamplona can easily be done by bus or train. The bus stops right outside T4 (terminal 4). To catch the train you need to go to Puerta de Atocha train station. This can be done by taking a cab from the airport to the train station (30 euro's) or catching the Cercanias train in the lower level of T4 to the Atocha train station. There are also several threads on this topic.

I recommend you read through these threads and if you still have questions, just ask.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Enjoy the planning! You will find lots of information here -- at time an overwhelming amount. Just take a deep breath when needed.

Buen Camino!

Hi, Karry,
My 'usual' time out there...
It's spring. So prepare for everything from warm to cold and wet.
Hat/buff and gloves are essential, as is a warm sleeping bag and raingear. Much of the rest depends on your tolerance levels and will be more personal.
I took both boots and lighter walking shoes. Was about to ditch the boots at Pamplona and didn't, on the advice of someone here. Glad I didn't. Only had to use them once after that, but really had to use them (See what fun you may be getting into??;))!

Attachments

• IMG_7520.JPG
    IMG_7520.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Pack for rain (pretty much sure) to cold and warm (also sure) and take something for sun protection for really sunny, hot days (could happen). Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino, Karry!

My wife and I walked the Frances in the early spring of 2013. Layers are required - the weather we encountered was remarkably variable.

Two weeks before I arrived in Spain, there were a series of blizzards in the Pyrenees, and one pilgrim died in the pass from St. Jean. My wife made me promise to start in Roncesvalles instead.

When I arrived in Roncesvalles (by taxi), there were piles of snow in the courtyard two stories tall.

In that first few weeks, we had snow, sleet, and rain, punctuated by a few sunny days.

From Ventosa to San Juan de Ortega, we walked into a howling, hurricane strength wind for days.

And it rained. A lot.

By the time we were in the Meseta, it was HOT and dry - there were a couple of days where being out in the sun was tortuous.

At some point, in Galicia, I mentioned to my lovely wife (who had joined me in Leon) that I'd had just about every possible kind of weather on my Camino. And then it started hailing.

We collapsed into laughter.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you need to be prepared for anything that the Spanish skies might spring on you.

Hope this rambly reply helped! We'd love to meet you on the Camino next year - we plan on starting from St Jean on March 30.

thom

Buen Camino, Karry!

My wife and I walked the Frances in the early spring of 2013. Layers are required - the weather we encountered was remarkably variable.

Two weeks before I arrived in Spain, there were a series of blizzards in the Pyrenees, and one pilgrim died in the pass from St. Jean. My wife made me promise to start in Roncesvalles instead.

When I arrived in Roncesvalles (by taxi), there were piles of snow in the courtyard two stories tall.

In that first few weeks, we had snow, sleet, and rain, punctuated by a few sunny days.

From Ventosa to San Juan de Ortega, we walked into a howling, hurricane strength wind for days.

And it rained. A lot.

By the time we were in the Meseta, it was HOT and dry - there were a couple of days where being out in the sun was tortuous.

At some point, in Galicia, I mentioned to my lovely wife (who had joined me in Leon) that I'd had just about every possible kind of weather on my Camino. And then it started hailing.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you need to be prepared for anything that the Spanish skies might spring on you.

Hope this rambly reply helped! We'd love to meet you on the Camino next year - we plan on starting from St Jean on March 30.

thom

Thom since both live in the same city perhaps we could meet for coffee
sometime.

Fred

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK, Paris return flights booked! Planning to start walking from Bayonne, or thereabouts, around April 5, finishing in SdC around May 17, including Finisterre & Muxia loop. Cannot wait! :)

Hi, Karry,
My 'usual' time out there...
It's spring. So prepare for everything from warm to cold and wet.
Hat/buff and gloves are essential, as is a warm sleeping bag and raingear. Much of the rest depends on your tolerance levels and will be more personal.
I took both boots and lighter walking shoes. Was about to ditch the boots at Pamplona and didn't, on the advice of someone here. Glad I didn't. Only had to use them once after that, but really had to use them (See what fun you may be getting into??;))!

Thanks for your picture! I have gotten stuck in a few of these here in the Caribbean, minus the snow, of course. Ahhhh... it shall be interesting!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Karry
Hi Karry- I agree with some posts above about being ready for every kind of weather with layers! I am leaving SJPDP on March 15th, maybe we could meet up along the way :)

I don't know which airline you will use to fly into Madrid, but if you do by any chance use Iberia, you can get an incredible cheap connection to fly into Pamplona ( cheaper than bus or train). You can then get an 'open leg' return from Santiago to Madrid and from there your connection by home.

Karry,
Thanks for asking this question. I too will be walking mid March -April and was wondering what to pack. As I read the forum I am now trying to decide my starting point which I was hoping to set for March 21st out of StJPDP but wondering if I should skip the pyreneese now.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Karry,
Thanks for asking this question. I too will be walking mid March -April and was wondering what to pack. As I read the forum I am now trying to decide my starting point which I was hoping to set for March 21st out of StJPDP but wondering if I should skip the pyreneese now.
Have you seen the news about the forest/wild fires? If it is that dry in December there may be no issues for March.

Hi Everyone, I'll be starting from StJPDP on 18th March. Hoping to see how far I can get in 8 days. Can anyone recommend the best way to sort out accommodation along the way?is it necessary to book the alburgues in advance or will it be ok to just book in when I arrive?

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope to meet some you along the way!

Hi Everyone, I'll be starting from StJPDP on 18th March. Hoping to see how far I can get in 8 days. Can anyone recommend the best way to sort out accommodation along the way?is it necessary to book the alburgues in advance or will it be ok to just book in when I arrive?

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope to meet some you along the way!

Depending on your time of arrival it might be a good idea to book ahead in SJPdP, especially if you'll arrive late in the day. If you don't arrive late, the pilgrims office is happy to help you to find a bed. As the 'high road' over the Pyrenees will be still closed, they also will issue you with information about the Valcarlos route and, in all cases, hand you a leaflet with a list of albergues on the way. Some albergues allow reservations, but most of the time beds are allocated on arrival. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depending on your time of arrival it might be a good idea to book ahead in SJPdP, especially if you'll arrive late in the day. If you don't arrive late, the pilgrims office is happy to help you to find a bed. As the 'high road' over the Pyrenees will be still closed, they also will issue you with information about the Valcarlos route and, in all cases, hand you a leaflet with a list of albergues on the way. Some albergues allow reservations, but most of the time beds are allocated on arrival. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks very much for the info SY!
I'll make a reservation in SJPDP in advance

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Buen Camino, Karry!

And it rained. A lot.

thom
Great advice. Thanks. I'm also starting from St Jean about the same time. So fingers crossed for good weather

Buen Camino, Karry!

And it rained. A lot.

thom
Yes a friend walked that time & year as well it was her second Francis walk & she bailed & came home due to the weather.
I walked it in April 2014 had no more than 7 days of rain. Very lovely only some sleet coming over from SJPDP. So we never know what we will get from year to year. After tracking the weather in winter/spring 2013 I decided to pack for cold wet weather! I was well prepared.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you so much for your replies. I think that I will come well prepared for the cold weather. Anything else will be a bonus. What an adventure. I am leaving Barcelona on the 26th Will start the walk soon after, depending on the weather. So may see you along the way.
Any ideas on the easiest ways to travel from Barcelona to St Jean ??
Is flying an option ??
Take Care Jo

5 pair of wool socks, 2 pair long pants, 1 merino wool shirt long sleeve, 1 merino wool shirt short sleeve, 1 long sleeve shirt with a collar, 3 pairs of underwear, hat, 1 pair light gloves, 1 pair rain pants, 1 rain jacket, 1 pair of good hiking boots, poles, personal hygiene items, neck scarf, and thats about it.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.