• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March/April on the Camino Frances

PilgrimChris

I have read Sil's and other blogs on the subject of "winter walking' so thank you for sharing.

What I would like to know is what are the 'usual' conditions along the Camino Frances during March and April?
I appreciate the weather can be, and often is, unpredictable but is deep snow and bitter cold the norm or the exception?
I will be packing for the worst conditions anyway and have experienced long distance winter walking and camping so the conditions wont put me off my Camino but a realistic heads up would be appreciated :)

If anyone has walked the Camino Frances during March and April could you please just put a brief description on your weather experiences as a reply? Any other relevant information would also be appreciated for walking during these months.

My thanks in advance :)

Chris

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Frances in March/April 2010. The weather was very kind to me, mostly. Nights were cold, days were cloudy or sunny or drizzly, but never rainy or snowy. My only real complaint about weather was several tough days of very strong wind, blowing directly into my face for hours.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You are right in preparing for a wide variation of weather in March and April. Having walked the Camino in March 2010, the early stages from St. Jean almost to Pamplona experienced what was reported to be the worst winter snowstorm since 1962, leaving up to 1 1/2 meters of snow. Later going over the mountain range around the Leon/Galicia border on past O'Cebriero severe bizzard conditions were encountered. It was such that the Civil Guard was plucking people off the mountains. For a day or two alburgue personnel were advising people not to go onward until the storm passed. This all necessitated some detours from the Camino trail, walking instead along paved and plowed roadways

There were some days with periods of torrential rain. However for the majority of the time the weather was perfect. Cool mornings followed by comfortably warm afternoons with bright sunshine. Snowmelt flowing down from the mountains coupled with rainfall made for muddy areas over much of the Camino. This was perhaps more of a challenge than any other condition.

While weather variations may occur, it is unlikely that any sort of harsh conditions will continue over large sections of the Camino or for long periods of time. All in all it is a desireable time of year for the Camino. Fewer crowds, no relentless day after day heat of summer nor cold of winter.

P.S. Interesting that starting in March, perhaps a week or more earlier than Rebekah, I did encounter some severe storms. This demonstrates the unpredictablity of the weather even within the same general period of time. Again though, the harsher conditions were only over relatively short portions of the Camino. Additionally, subsequent to that period of time, throughout 2010 much more of the Camino has now been paved. Sad in my opinion but that's another topic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last year in March there were 16 straight days of dry weather and sunshine. Then winter came back with vengence! April often seems to host the last gasp of winter snow storms.
A South African pilgrim wrote an article for our AMIGOS newlstter titled, 'Brought to my knees on the Camino". She started out on 8th April and finally gave up two weeks later after suffering from exposure in snow, blizzards, torrential rain, mud slides and howling gales.
Others have walked in December, January or February and had very little snow.
You just don't know what mother nature is going to do!

I walked in March 2008. I thought the weather was good. THere was snow in the mountains but not a lot---in those places, if there was much snow, I walked on the main road (which had been cleared) rather than the camino proper until I reached lower elevations and less snow. There were only a couple of days that had some light rain. I think the weather was generally very comfortable for walking, generally around 10-15 degrees C. THe last week (end of March/first three days of April) was rather warm and quite sunny. Nights were cold but for the mostpart the albergues were warm. I found it a great time to walk. I guess the weather can really very and am not sure what it is regularly like but I thought it was rather good.

Thank you very much for your replies :)

I think I will take a hot water bottle for my sleeping bag :)

God protect the vulnerable this winter
Chris

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A question for those who already walked the camino in these months, in snowing conditions, how do you do to locate the yellow arrows? is that a problem ? is there the risk of getting a wrong turn os anything?....

Buen camino

Some arrows do in fact get covered in snow. Additionally in early spring arrows have been worn away by weather conditions and not yet been repainted. Missing just that one or two odd arrows can have serious consequences. This requires more attentiveness toward ensuring that you continue on trail.

Look for other signs to confirm that you remain on the right path. Fresh footprints, liter (there can at times be something positive about a negative situation) and fellow pilgrims, albeit they are fewer at that time of year.

Fortunately arrows throughout most of the Camino are spaced closely enough together that when walking any distance without seeing one you can sense that you have gone off trail and retrace steps to get back on coarse.

OK this next thing may sound loony but I can attest to their existence: the “Camino Angles”. On numerous occasions when going off trail, sometimes in the most remote of areas, a person suddenly appears to provide direction. It may be a farmer on a tractor, someone looking out a window of their village home at the break of dawn, or a local person who for some inexplicable reason happens to be walking in the middle of nowhere. This occurred on far too many occasions and with too many pilgrims to be discounted as coincidence or for there to be any seemingly logical explanation.

Although I am sure it is true, I am not one who can take great comfort in the adage that “the Camino will provide…” or otherworldly type explanations and expressions. They don’t provide the sense that I need of being proactive and in control of my own destiny. Despite that, firsthand experience convinced me that the Camino Angles are very real and are everywhere. What a great backup to any arrows which might be cover by snow!

I walked the Camino in March/April in both 2009 and 2010. Like Rebekah I encountered no snow storms either year. I am confused about the report of blizzards in April 2010 as I don't recall hearing about them while walking.
The strong wind and rain at times in 2010 was pretty trying at times. I recall some small Korean girls walking up close behind me trying to get as much shelter to the wind as possible.
There was snow on the ground be ween SJPP and Roncesvalles but not over much. I would not carry heavy cold weather gear. I would rather get cold than carry any more weight all the way to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not experienced, but leaving SJPdP on 24th March 2018. Preparing for the whole kit and kaboodle of weather conditions. Not sure my butler will be able to carry the Champagne without spilling it, if it snows, but at least the champus will be chilled, or the very least one can but hope.

This year I (re)started my Camino in Astorga on 16th March.

For the first few days I walked in temps over 20C, and needed sunscreen. In fact I got a little burnt on the underside of my left arm. Sunglasses and sunhat.

Yet chilly at night, every night.

Then, after Villafranca the weather became cooler, and we climbed up as far as Laguna de Castilla and it was still sunny with clear and fabulous views.

We woke the next morning to 6 inches of snow! I'd brought gaiters and waterproof trousers but had mislaid my gloves - so spare socks were put to excellent use as emergency mittens! We were the first out, and climbed to O Cebreiro in virgin snow. It was clear for a while, and a joyous experience walking through beautiful snowy paths, but then the wind and snow got up again. We trudged onwards through deepening snow, our boots starting to leak, and beginning to feel miserable. At Fonfria, everything was closed. None of the albergues were open, and we knew the next one down the hill at Filloval was full (we'd called the night before) and the Casa Rurals in Biduedo weren't open. Eventually I knocked on the door of a house, handed over my phone and asked them to call me a taxi to Tricastela. It was a very expensive taxi at €30, but by then we didn't care, and we were glad to get safely into the warm and get dry again - best of all, the had a boot-drying cupboard beside the roaring log fire!

The next day I walked alone to Samos in snow then sleet, and the day after that the path to Sarria was somewhat soggy and muddy, but the air was clear and the day sunny.

So, expect all kinds of weather in March! Be prepared.

Here's the link to my March pics... https://www.facebook.com/pg/juliawalksthecaminodesantiago/photos/?tab=album&album_id=680096255512858

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not experienced, but leaving SJPdP on 24th March 2018. Preparing for the whole kit and kaboodle of weather conditions. Not sure my butler will be able to carry the Champagne without spilling it, if it snows, but at least the champus will be chilled, or the very least one can but hope.
ill drink if i can carry

I started on April 3 I only had snow in the Pyrenees then changed to sleet, by Pamplona on only rain. At night it froze until the middle of April. So watch for ice. You will be walking the same time of year I plan on walking from Madrid so I am curious how it goes.
Buen Camino

@Peter Knezevich and @Gaenhart , I walked in March/April 2014, 15, 1nd 16 - leaving as early as 10 March and as late as 24 March. And I can concur with what others have said - be prepared for 3 seasons in one day. It can be glorious and balmy one day and then sleeting the next morning. Anywhere, not only in the mountains. It's a gamble, really. So yes, come prepared, especially for wet and chilly. Gloves and hat are as essential as raingear. Especially gloves.
My albums in the media section here give you a sense of what it can be like.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back