• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March/April weather concern

Dieter

Time of past OR future Camino
planning first
Hello all , thanks for this forum the opportunity to be part of it!! 10/03/17

Im planning my first Camino 'way Frances' from St Jean and acctually want to leave asap as in in the next few days.ive been scanning the weather and it seems to be rather rainy now most of the time. an d along most of the route.can anybody please advise....
if there is really too much rain this time of the year, should i wait til April ? is April better?I don't want to dash off and be rained out most of the time .... Has anyone done it this time of the year? .....many thanks

best
Dieter

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was wet and muddy February 1st this year. Usually there is snow! So time of year and usual weather patterns really can not be relied on.
I would look at the weather forecasts for the next few days in the cities you are about to enter and decide based on them.

Good luck.

It was wet and muddy February 1st this year. Usually there is snow! So time of year and usual weather patterns really can not be relied on.
I would look at the weather forecasts for the next few days in the cities you are about to enter and decide based on them.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for your advice, i will check the weather for a few days !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Im planning my first Camino 'way Frances' from St Jean and acctually want to leave asap as in in the next few days.ive been scanning the weather and it seems to be rather rainy now most of the time. an d along most of the route.can anybody please advise....
if there is really too much rain this time of the year, should i wait til April ? is April better?I don't want to dash off and be rained out most of the time .... Has anyone done it this time of the year? .....many thanks

best
Dieter

Hi Dieter! Whenever you go it WILL rain when you get to Galicia! So it is best to be prepared anyway. There is probably less chance of rain in April but to be honest there is no guarantee. I don't mind walking in the rain as long as I can get dry and warm at the end of the day. Saying that, after three days of constant rain it gets a bit much!

Whatever you decide, you are going to love it!
Buen Camino!
Davey

Check out this website: https://www.wunderground.com/
You can look up past year's weather for Spain by month in different cities along the Camino. Look it up for the past 3-5 years and come up with an average of sorts. Kind of see when it rains the most and where. No guarantee of course, but does give some idea what to expect and what to bring.
ultreia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

best
Dieter

Dieter:

I have walked six Camino's between March 23rd and April 30th.

There has been rain, sun, wind and even some snow. I have seen temps between -10C and 35C . There have been Camino's where I had 3 weeks of perfect weather and Camino's where it rained 8 straight days.

My point is, do not worry about the weather, just pick a time and go.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The current weather conditions in the Meseta are spring like and there has been little or no rain since late February. I walked the past couple of morning in a t-shirt.
Three years ago it snowed every day for the month of May in Navarra.
There is no way to predict the weather other than looking at the weather pattern in North America and doing your best at predicting when that weather will arrive on this side of the Atlantic 3 or 4 days later.

We walked last March and April and dealt with all kinds of weather. We walked for 33 days to snow from SJPDP for for several days rain sleet and snow overcast days and only 5 days of sunshine. I am not complaining those were probably the best 33 days of my life in the last few years. I learned a lot about myself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Dieter! Whenever you go it WILL rain when you get to Galicia! So it is best to be prepared anyway. There is probably less chance of rain in April but to be honest there is no guarantee. I don't mind walking in the rain as long as I can get dry and warm at the end of the day. Saying that, after three days of constant rain it gets a bit much!

Whatever you decide, you are going to love it!
Buen Camino!
Davey
Thank you Davey!°!

The current weather conditions in the Meseta are spring like and there has been little or no rain since late February. I walked the past couple of morning in a t-shirt.
There is no way to predict the weather other than looking at the weather pattern in North America and doing your best at predicting when that weather will arrive on this side of the Atlantic 3 or 4 days later.

Thank you very much for the info and advice, much appreciated!!

Dieter:

There has been rain, sun, wind and even some snow. I have seen temps between -10C and 35C . There have been Camino's where I had 3 weeks of perfect weather and Camino's where it rained 8 straight days.

Ultreya,
Joe
Good advice , thank you !!

Dieter:

Ultreya,
Joe
good advice !! i like it ! zhanks Joe.

Check out this website: https://www.wunderground.com/
You can look up past year's weather for Spain by month in different cities along the Camino. Look it up for the past 3-5 years and come up with an average of sorts. Kind of see when it rains the most and where. No guarantee of course, but does give some idea what to expect and what to bring.
ultreia
Thanks Mark , good advice , nice one !!

I'm hoping to start next week from Leon (I've already done SJ to Leon). As it's snowing and cold in North America right now, I'm guessing I'm going to get some cold wet weather :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.