• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March or April?

susiemcc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2010)
Le Puy Route (2012)
Camino Portuguese (2015)
Finisterre/Muxia (2015)
Euro Peace Walk (2015)
Hi
Need some advice please as I am in the throws of decision making. Having walked fron SJPP to Santiago in 2010 and Le Puy-Velay to SJPP last year I am planning next years walk. My choices are Camino Portuguese or Camino del Norte. I therefore would love some feedback on walking from Lisbon in March or April, the terrain, weather etc. hI ave been reading blogs and would love to hear of more experiences. Many thanks

Susie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Susie!

First of all let me say to you one thing: the decision it's yours, so follow your instinct about what Camino to do.

Ok, now about the Weather conditions and Terrain from Lisbon to Santiago.

You talked in doing it in March or April. There is not so much difference between the two months in case of the Weather Conditions, since they are in the spring time, which will make time very unpredictable. For example last year, March and April weren’t' so rainy and cloudy has this year. So you could have luck and get some good Weather, has you can catch this year’s rains and floods. You never know.

For the Terrain, from Lisbon until the outskirts of Fatima, the Terrain will be mostly flat, but starting from there, as you go further into the Northern part of Portugal you will start to catch hills and more hills. Notice that the weather in here it's completely different from the Center of Portugal. You have more possibilities of rain and cold.

I hope that I had helped you in some way.

Best Regards
Diogo

Hello! I had originally planned to do the Frances in Sept2014, but now have a super opportunity to do the Portuguese next April instead. Problem? I know nothing about this route!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from Lisbon two years ago, left the Camino for Fatima at Tomar walking mostly the roads, not the safest decision, on through Bathala up to Coimbra in order to rejoin the Camino. The weather was warm with almost no rain until I reached Tui. Having said that we are all witnessing great climate change-usual and expected weather based on years of observation is now only a memory, one year very warm while the next, like 2013 no Spring at all, a seemingly never ending winter then boom Summer. Be Prepared is all I can remember from the Scouts movement seems appropriate now. The Camino has some longish stretches, Tomar and the Convento de Christo should not be missed, I could not feel the spirituality of Fatima, the experience was similar to visiting a large modern football stadium-my problem. The Portugal Camino has a very different feeling, definetely not Spain, far fewer pilgrims, still well marked no terrain problems and friendly welcoming people everywhere. Bom Camino

Thank you Scruffy. That helps me get an initial idea of what to expect. What language should I concentrate on? I am fluent in french -will that be of any use?

When I walked it I knew a little Portugese but was hoping that the people I met would know a little English, what I found was that most peoples other language seemed to be French so you should be ok.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sister Simon,

What a happy opportunity you have ! April in Portugal would be lovely.

Perhaps some of these other web sites will help with your planning.
http://camino.xacobeo.es/en/routes/portuguese-way
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... portugues/

In December 2011 after finishing the Camino Frances I continued to Finisterre, per usual, and then walked to the Portuguese border at Tui/Valenca de Minho. This involved going " backward " along the Camino Portuguese from Santiago. To go backward is more complicated than you might think; since this path is hardly well marked, searching for the famous yellow arrows pointing opposite my direction wasn't easy. Viewed backwards the arrows resembled anchors. Thus it all was a bit of a treasure hunt!

The weather was cold and very WET. The Galician albergues were great and generally well heated; often I was the only pilgrim. I particularly enjoyed walking across the river Minho from Tui on the 19th century bridge designed by Eiffel of tower fame to Valenca de Minho and its Vauban fortress.

During recent years after my caminos I have often spent time in the mountains of northern Portugal. I, like you, speak English and French but no Portuguese and little Spanish. However language was never a problem since many older people speak French and younger ones know English. As always when 'speechless' pantomime worked wonders!

Happy planning and Bom Caminho/Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you for the links and info. Would you do the Portugese again? I may still do the Frances, moving it up to maybe 2016, but yes, this is a wonderful opportunity, and I am very grateful for it.
Blessings!
I would think doing any of the Caminos backwards would be confusing. Most days I have enough trouble just putting one foot in front of the other!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi
Need some advice please as I am in the throws of decision making. Having walked fron SJPP to Santiago in 2010 and Le Puy-Velay to SJPP last year I am planning next years walk. My choices are Camino Portuguese or Camino del Norte. I therefore would love some feedback on walking from Lisbon in March or April, the terrain, weather etc. hI ave been reading blogs and would love to hear of more experiences. Many thanks

Susie
Hallo Susie,read you walked Le Puy route - can you send me an email to my email adress: kogga@webmail.co.za on your feeling about the le Puy - we are thinking of walking it - Thanks - Johann Pretorius from South Africa

Hi @annaw -
My choice has always been very lightweight, quickdry pants supplemented by lightweight base layer pants underneath when necessary. The base layer pants and top serve double duty as cozy nightwear as well, welcome on those cold nights in March.

These are good pants:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/th...tempest-pants-roll-up-legs-for-women~p~4947d/

And these add a nice light base layer without being too bulky:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/te...nderwear-and-base-layer~d~275/&colorFamily=42

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back