• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

“March or Die”

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Long distance marches (humps) certainly do keep one in shape.
I remember quite often being exhausted, thirsty and doing my best to not be the one catching hell from a non empathetic platoon sergeant or squad leader lol.
I'm not a smoker, but I remember being amazed at how many guys lit up a smoke when we would take a break.

Long distance marches (humps) certainly do keep one in shape.
I remember quite often being exhausted, thirsty and doing my best to not be the one catching hell from a non empathetic platoon sergeant or squad leader lol.
I'm not a smoker, but I remember being amazed at how many guys lit up a smoke when we would take a break.
In the Finnish army the length of the brakebwas measured by 'one cigarret'. Well, propably no anymore 🤔.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Makes me want to tell a war story (LOL). At basic training (1967, Ft. Dix, NJ) my company had to march out to the rifle range every day for two weeks or so, about an hour's fast march. It was done with full pack, gear and weapon -- the old M-14 was pretty heavy -- and at a militarily brisk pace. A lot of guys had trouble keeping up. But one day our baby-faced 2nd lieutenant decided to show the troops what a real soldier he was and lead the column. He carried no pack, no weapon, or even a canteen. Of course he set off on a blistering pace, but since I was not going to let the little twerp show me up I stayed right behind him as the column of exhausted troops stretched out. I'm glad I stayed with him, because at one point our crusty old first sergeant pulled up alongside in his car, surveyed the now-decimated formation and angrily yelled out the window, "Lieutenant, what the hell are you doing?" I learned something about the actual chain of command that day.

Makes me want to tell a war story (LOL). At basic training (1967, Ft. Dix, NJ) my company had to march out to the rifle range every day for two weeks or so, about an hour's fast march. It was done with full pack, gear and weapon -- the old M-14 was pretty heavy -- and at a militarily brisk pace. A lot of guys had trouble keeping up. But one day our baby-faced 2nd lieutenant decided to show the troops what a real soldier he was and lead the column. He carried no pack, no weapon, or even a canteen. Of course he set off on a blistering pace, but since I was not going to let the little twerp show me up I stayed right behind him as the column of exhausted troops stretched out. I'm glad I stayed with him, because at one point our crusty old first sergeant pulled up alongside in his car, surveyed the now-decimated formation and angrily yelled out the window, "Lieutenant, what the hell are you doing?" I learned something about the actual chain of command that day.
😂😂😂
After my reserve officer course I stayed with three others as a trainer for the next course. In that time there was several weeks between the courses.
One morning I had the task to take the students for a run. During the weeks inbetween I had done no sports whatsoever, so after a few hundred meters my chin and calves got totally stuck, so "Ok, boys, lets do some streching" 😁. Then we continued, but my running was very painfull, so after a couple of hundred meters I called a stop again, instructed the students the route they should take, gave them a free pace to do it and walked slowly, slowly to the barracs.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At basic training (1967, Ft. Dix, NJ) my company had to march out to the rifle range every day for two weeks or so, about an hour's fast march. It was done with full pack, gear and weapon -- the old M-14 was pretty heavy -- and at a militarily brisk pace. A lot of guys had trouble keeping up. But one day our baby-faced 2nd lieutenant decided to show the troops what a real soldier he was and lead the column. He carried no pack, no weapon, or even a canteen. Of course he set off on a blistering pace, but since I was not going to let the little twerp show me up I stayed right behind him as the column of exhausted troops stretched out.
Reminds me of the following passage from Tony Herbert’s book Soldier (1973), discussing the 2nd Battalion, 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment during the 1960’s:

The training exercises were increasing in number and intensity, and one afternoon, while I was leading a company on an exercise whose objective was to reach a road we had named “the probable line of demarcation,” I was having so much trouble that I began to move them at a slow walk and teach as we went. The radio operator interrupted me with a call from Golden Knight – General York. “He wants to know when you reach the road,” he said. “Tell him not for about another two hours,” I answered. But General York, for some reason or another, wanted my company to get to that road immediately as part of the training exercise. “Okay sir,” I said. I turned to the men and told them to strip their packs and run to the road, which they did.

General York was pleased. He was smiling. “See, Tony, you’re such a hard-ass you didn’t think these men could do it,” he said, glancing around my puffing company.

“Well, sir, if you’ll look around, you’ll see that they’re unarmed and completely stripped of equipment,” I said.

Somehow he found it merely a curious sight. He had interrupted a training exercise and given an order that made no sense – and now he thought it was funny.

Last edited:
Marching doesn't require top-level athletic condition, just regular fitness gets you far. In practical terms, you can assume that a 20-30 km (12.5-18.5 mi) with a 10-15 kg (22-33 lbs) load can be completed by a healthy person in 4-6 hours without being a sore noodle afterwards
That's 5K/hour nonstop.

Sure, when I was young, I could manage 6K/hour or higher with no need for rest before some hours had passed, but the only meaningful mitigation in the above is the limitation to "4-6 hours".
Marching is certainly not an equipment-sport
Anyone saying this with regard to footwear and with a straight face deserves some sort of acting accolade.
The socks should ... have flat seams
erm, no, they should have no seams at all, except at the very edges of your toes.
When socks are worn as layers, friction is soaked up by each sock to prevent the skin from blisters and chafing
With my own feet, that sounds like a recipe to ensure blistering.

As to the equipment photo, a lot of it looks good, but :

Rubbish hat
Bad synthetic raincoat
No inflatable mattress -- significant risk of exposure and loss of body heat
  • 4-6 beers (cans weigh less than bottles)
This OTOH is BRILLIANT advice !!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's 5K/hour nonstop.

Sure, when I was young, I could manage 6K/hour or higher with no need for rest before some hours had passed, but the only meaningful mitigation in the above is the limitation to "4-6 hours".

Anyone saying this with regard to footwear and with a straight face deserves some sort of acting accolade.

erm, no, they should have no seams at all, except at the very edges of your toes.

With my own feet, that sounds like a recipe to ensure blistering.

As to the equipment photo, a lot of it looks good, but :

Rubbish hat
Bad synthetic raincoat
No inflatable mattress -- significant risk of exposure and loss of body heat

This OTOH is BRILLIANT advice !!
Absolutely! :D
When I was in college I did occasional weekend wilderness backpacking trips with friends. We never weighed packs or gave a great deal of attention trying to keep them light. We'd go in perhaps 20 km's, find a place to camp overnight and repeat once or twice more circling back to the trailhead, depending on how much time we had. We would always freeze beer in cans and carry 2-3 apiece to drink on the first night. Smash down the aluminum can flat when done and carried them out. Thin, lightweight discs lol.
Looking back in retrospect we should have carried more water, but back then hydration just wasn't pushed like it is these days. We also wore cotton denim blue jeans, heavy leather lug soled boots and cotton flannel shirts and t-shirts, and no trekking poles or water bladders! Good heavens! lol :D

In my youth I graduated from Sandhurst, but went down a route which is about as far from infantry as it could be. My colleagues who went the other way are all sporting replacement hips and knees. What you can do when you’re young isn’t necessarily what you should have done when you’re old. I didn’t read the link as the opening picture shows someone who could never deploy with a beard like that.

I’m not sure if ‘bollocks’ is permitted on here; but there’s a lot of ‘cojones’ to be found on the internet.

We also wore cotton denim blue jeans, heavy leather lug soled boots and cotton flannel shirts and t-shirts, and no trekking poles or water bladders! Good heavens! lol :D
That's a near enough description of my normal pilgrim kit. :p

Though my army boots have rubber soles ; no trekking poles but a hiking staff ; and I have a great big black pilgrim cape.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's a near enough description of my normal pilgrim kit. :p

Though my army boots have rubber soles ; no trekking poles but a hiking staff ; and I have a great big black pilgrim cape.
Oh my heavens. The gear geeks will tell you it's impossible to walk the Camino equipped like that, despite your walking the Camino equipped like that. :D

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back