• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March travels-Camino Portugese or CF?

andreak58

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Muxia/Finisterre-Sept 2016
Valenca-SDC-Sept 2018
Hi,

I am trying to plan my next Camino. I was thinking of a March 18-20 start date. I would like to do approx 200Km....
I still haven't figured out my route...but my question is this:

Will there be a lot of pilgrims walking during this time of year, along the Camino Portugese?
I feel a little apprehensive to walk alone, and would like to be able to see people ahead of me, or behind me.

Or would there be more people walking on the CF at this time of year?
Any thoughts?

Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I am trying to plan my next Camino. I was thinking of a March 18-20 start date. I would like to do approx 200Km....

Will there be a lot of pilgrims walking during this time of year, along the Camino Portugese?
I feel a little apprehensive to walk alone, and would like to be able to see people ahead of me, or behind me.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
there is this thread but it isn't clear to me the concentration of pilgrims
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-statistics-jan-apr-2016.40286/

I think that in sheer numbers there will be more on the Frances, but I don't have stats to back me up. Hopefully someone will come up with the stats, or I will find them. One thing to consider though is the weather, at 200km I think you may be needing to go over one last mountain on the Frances and that might be cold/wet in mid March.

good luck either way :) and Buen Camino

Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thank you
here is the page with stats from the pilgrim's office
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

the pertinent part might be
The roads that most of the pilgrims followed are French-Road with 7,006 (63.31%); Portuguese-Way with 2,243 (20.27%); Via de la Plata with 530 (4.79%); English-Road with 507 (4.58%); Camino Primitivo-418 (3.78%); North Road 319 (2.88%); Other ways with 17 (0.15%); Muxia-Finisterre 15 (0.14%); Winter road with 12 (0.11%); etc.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No. not many , anyway not at the caminho Português.
I have been hospitaleiro for some times in the very popular privat albergue casa Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães-don't miss it ! and have seen the figueres of pilgrims staying there over the year. The "season "starts somewhere mid of april untill september. Then anyway at Fernanda's it is advicable to reserve. But you cannot reserve everywhere. Albergues in common do not accept reservations.
Also keep in mind that it will be busier from Tui in Spain. Lots of Spaniards walk from there the last one hundred kms to obtain a Compostela certificate -which as I a have been told is good for their CV .:)

I walked the Portugues in May of this year and even then I was mostly walking without seeing anyone unless it was right after leaving the albergue or a cafe along the way. It simply doesn't get that number of people, a very good thing in my opinion. The Frances gets what someone on the forum once called "conga lines", but not at that time of the year.

Your best bet in the Frances and to find a walking buddy once there. Or somply to ask people if they are up for some company as you leave the albergue or the many cafes.

Andrea, I will be leading a group of pilgrims on the Camino Português da Costa beginning from Porto on March 31st and arriving in Santiago on the 16th of April just in time for the Semana Santa (Easter) celebrations.
I much prefer the Camino Português (either coastal or traditional) because it is not as crowded as the Camino Francés. Feel free to contact me if you would like information on the Português routes, I lead groups on both routes. Arlène

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was walking Caminho Portuguese twice from Porto. 2014 i startet March, 2nd and 2015 middle of March. I allways had some buddys, but this time of year it was very quite comparing to this year Frances up from Leon middle of March. Accomodation on both ways have been no problem, but i realized different weather. In Portugal it can be rainy, but on Frances i had some snow. Specialy the higher regions like Cebreiro and Cruz de Ferro. But who knows about next years weather. I would suggest Portuguese, without tent, no need for it. It is just a 230 km walk, You will do in 9-12 days. Enjoy :)

bom caminho

Olaf

there is this thread but it isn't clear to me the concentration of pilgrims
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-statistics-jan-apr-2016.40286/

I think that in sheer numbers there will be more on the Frances, but I don't have stats to back me up. Hopefully someone will come up with the stats, or I will find them. One thing to consider though is the weather, at 200km I think you may be needing to go over one last mountain on the Frances and that might be cold/wet in mid March.

good luck either way :) and Buen Camino

Thanks for the stats and info, Smallest Sparrow. I have been thinking about this and perhaps March may not be the time to go. I have two choices Sept and March...I will continue to research about weather conditions and such,and whether the alburgues are open in March as well. Thanks for your input.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Olá Andrea,

my suggestion, do it in September. I´ve done the Português very often. In September the weather was always fine, only a few raindrops. September is on the warm and sunny side. On your way you can have a lot of fresh fruits, delicious grapes, figs and much more.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be leaving from Lisbon on March 7. I had planned to start in late Sept. 2016, but had to change my plans.
Hello Peregrino,

I plan to do the CP from Lisbon next March or April. Apparently availability of lodging on CP is nothing like those on the CF. Would appreciate learning from your investigations.

Buen camino
John Chin
L A area

Andrea, I will be leading a group of pilgrims on the Camino Português da Costa beginning from Porto on March 31st and arriving in Santiago on the 16th of April just in time for the Semana Santa (Easter) celebrations.
I much prefer the Camino Português (either coastal or traditional) because it is not as crowded as the Camino Francés. Feel free to contact me if you would like information on the Português routes, I lead groups on both routes. Arlène
Hi Arlene,
May i pick your brains? If I were to start CP from Lisbon 4/01/2017, would I be able to find lodging every night?
Thanks,
John from SoCal

Hi Arlene,
May i pick your brains? If I were to start CP from Lisbon 4/01/2017, would I be able to find lodging every night?
Thanks,
John from SoCal
No problem. In january 2013 walked an American guy I thought with his Korean girlfriend and a nephew from Lisbon. Find back his posts on this forum There was no problem to find a place to sleep and in the meantime the network of albergues, hostals etc improved .
I walked from Lisbon in the same year in May and there was no problem at all to find a bed.
Especially on the leg from Lisbon to Porto in the worst case you could sleep at the Firebrigades, so called Bombeiros Volontarios. We did in Tomar.. a bit basic.
Futhermore lots of lodging adresses on this leg are hostals and privat albergues so I expect they are open all year round.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Peregrino,

I plan to do the CP from Lisbon next March or April. Apparently availability of lodging on CP is nothing like those on the CF. Would appreciate learning from your investigations.

Buen camino
John Chin
L A area
Hi John,

I don't think there will be a problem with lodging in March. If I can't find a place to sleep, I figure I'll just take a taxi back or forward to the closest place and then return to where I left off the next morning. Yes, that will cost more, but at least I'll have a place to sleep.

Denise

Hi Arlene,
Thanks,
John from SoCal
Thanks Arlene,
That was helpful.
Be well,
John

Hi John,

I don't think there will be a problem with lodging in March. If I can't find a place to sleep, I figure I'll just take a taxi back or forward to the closest place and then return to where I left off the next morning. Yes, that will cost more, but at least I'll have a place to sleep.

Denise
Always good to have a Plan B!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back