• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maria and Ramon, Santiago

OZAJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres (2008) Norte (2009) Vezelay/Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2010) etc.
Maria and Ramon used to have a fruit shop at 80 Ruo del Vilar. They advertised rooms and over a few years I stayed in one or another. My favouite was in Rua da Trinidade, very close to the cathedral. Maria spoke good English, Ramon adequate English and their son spoke English like a native speaker with an English accent.

I was last in SdC in 2019 after a 2 year absence and they were gone!!

Anyone know what became of them?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They are good friends of mine. I will call Jose Ramon to hear what's happened.. Jose was attending boarding school/education in England and speaks better English than most native English speakers.

Anyone know what became of them?
Update: I just spoke to Jose and Maria: They are well, as is Jose's father (Ramon), but they have had to give up most rental rooms. They have kept some, and everything is fully rented out long-term, so they have income. They still own the fruit shop but have rented it out to another person for now.

Jose (son) and Maria are lovely people, and I have always stayed with them when in Santiago: Right in the old city centre, Rua do Franco (not bc. of Franco, but French; French street). Close to the cathedral, and 20 m. from A Taberna Do Bispo, my favorite tapas/wine bar (currently closed, of course).

If you want to book a private room (later, of course), Jose's telephone is +34 630 059 055. It is very convenient for those struggling with their Spanish, as their English is up to perfection.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@alexwalker, thank you for the update! I always went to their shop when I arrived in Santiago, to stock up on pimentón and a few other essentials, taste and buy cheese and have a chat. When I arrived the last time and found them gone, the lady in the shop opposite didn't know what had happened or where they had gone. Good to know they are OK and I am making a note of the number!

@alexwalker People did use to raise an eyebrow when I shared this little secret with them ... I was hoping to stay with them in May 19, but they weren't there and I didn't know the number or if they still rented out rooms. I had to buy my pimentón in a random shop, and there were no tasters of pickled cheese to munch! Fingers crossed for this autumn, or next spring 🤞

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Update: I just spoke to Jose and Maria: The are well, as is Jose's father (Ramon), but they have had to give up most rental rooms. They have kept some, and everything is fully rented out long-term, so they have income. They still own the fruit shop but have rented it out to another person for now.

Jose (son) and Maria are lovely people, and I have always stayed with them when in Santiago: Right in the old city centre, Rua do Franco (not bc. of Franco, but French; French street). Close to the cathedral, and 20 m. from A Taberna Do Bispo, my favorite tapas/wine bar (currently closed, of course).

If you want to book a private room (later, of course), Jose's telephone is +34 630 059 055. It is very convenient for those struggling with their Spanish, as their English is up to perfection.
Taberna Do Bispo . . . devine cheesecake - another reason to go back ;)

I was told Rua do Franco was the Street of the Franks ie "any foreigner from east of the Pyrenees"

Taberna Do Bispo . . . devine cheesecake - another reason to go back ;)

I was told Rua do Franco was the Street of the Franks ie "any foreigner from east of the Pyrenees"
Interesting article... If you do not read Spanish, right-click on the text and select "Translate" or similar:

Last edited:
Thanks Alex. I am very glad to hear that Ramon is well. He didn't look too good last time I saw him.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If the street was originally called "Vicus Francorum", 'Francorum' being genitive plural, so meaning Street of the French (people), it seems fairly logical that it would become Rúa dos Franceses. Perhaps it became Rúa Francorum, then shortened to Rúa Franco, then Rúa do Franco.

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.