• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maria's Way : short documentary about Maria (Felisa's daughter)

Marc S.

Time of past OR future Camino
Some in Spain, Portugal, Germany and Netherlands
I just found this short documentary about Felisa's daughter Maria, the woman many of us have seen when entering Logrono, and who recenly died.

see also this thread :

I do not know how many of us were aware of the existence of this documentary, but it is available on the internet, so herewith I share the link - as I think many forum members may want to view it.

Maria’s Way (2009) chronicles a day in the life of an elderly Spanish woman living along a Camino de Santiago route. There, just outside of her home, she has for years kept count of pilgrims and offered them stamps, which help credential them along their trek. Filming from behind Maria’s small route-side stall as she goes about her daily routine, the Scottish director Anne Milne’s short captures Maria interacting with gold-toothed nuns, rude youngsters with cameras and kindly pilgrims who are curious about her life and work. A feisty woman who doesn’t suffer fools gladly, Maria’s presence lends the film humour and heart. But more than just a slice-of-life profile, Milne’s film demonstrates how even the most outwardly mundane tasks can have deep resonance.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just found this short documentary about Felisa's daughter Maria, the woman many of us have seen when entering Logrono, and who recenly died.

see also this thread :

I do not know how many of us were aware of the existence of this documentary, but it is available on the internet, so herewith I share the link - as I think many forum members may want to view it.

Maria’s Way (2009) chronicles a day in the life of an elderly Spanish woman living along a Camino de Santiago route. There, just outside of her home, she has for years kept count of pilgrims and offered them stamps, which help credential them along their trek. Filming from behind Maria’s small route-side stall as she goes about her daily routine, the Scottish director Anne Milne’s short captures Maria interacting with gold-toothed nuns, rude youngsters with cameras and kindly pilgrims who are curious about her life and work. A feisty woman who doesn’t suffer fools gladly, Maria’s presence lends the film humour and heart. But more than just a slice-of-life profile, Milne’s film demonstrates how even the most outwardly mundane tasks can have deep resonance.

Thankyou for sharing this with us all. I remember Maria very well from both my Camino journeys. I thought that the two young 'German/Dutch men who walked up to Maria, giggling and making comments were very rude indeed as was the one of the two who insisted on trying to take photos when it was inappropriate to do so...... the behaviour of some folk is so, so sad.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To me, it felt like watching a New Zealand rugby team haka. The Kiwis put on a display, but it's the other team that gets judged. If they don't pay attention to it, they're considered rude. If they respond to it, there's a good chance they'll be considered rude.

I observed in the film that Maria was less than polite in her comments about about some of the people who passed by and she was downright rude about the nun who paid a respectful interest in her stall. She had a friendly interaction with the pilgrims who shared her language and buttered her up.

I was upset when I watched the young man persisting in taking a photo when he could see that she wasn't happy about it. He acknowledged that he had been rude but rather than apologizing he left some cash, which compounded the insult really. I hope that he later reflected on this and learned something... But to what extent can a person expect to be spared such an intrusion, when they're sitting in view of a public footpath with their own camera crew and keeping a record of the passers by?

Those Kiwis. Why can't they just beat everyone at rugby and leave it at that?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was interesting to watch this. We stopped by and got a stamp in 2016 when we passed. I definitely remember her being unhappy with the people who walked past and didn't acknowledge her.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It doesn't take much, even when you can't speak the language, to ask before taking a photo just by showing the camera and gesturing. Her daughter was happy for me to take one in 2019 after I stopped for a bite to eat and a rest on the bench. Even when you don't want anything a smile and a "hola" doesn't cost anything as you pass by.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back