• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Marine advice on Blisters

mickcope

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino - Sarria
As a newbie - I got the sense that a lot of people (a) used vaseline on their feet to prevent blisters and (b) advised not pricking a blister if it does appear.

Talking with an ex marine this morning - (he used to walk with 52kg !!!) - they used to (a) use talcum powder on their feet as opposed to vaseline and (b) used to prick the blister and coat with Iodine

I guess both can be correct - but I found it interesting

mick

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is always a topic of 1001 options. Medically, any time you open the skin increases the potential for infection. However, infections can be prevented if, as in the case with your Marine's solution, something is used to sterilize the area and keep the area around the wound sterilized.

Personally, I always drain a blister simply because I walk more comfortably that way. I don't use iodine, but other products to sterilize the area. There are no perfect solutions, but being informed of the options and doing what you think is best will most often guide you well in your choices.

Last edited:
... and (b) used to prick the blister and coat with Iodine

When to pop a blister (and how)?
[in short: pop it, if it would tear anyway ... otherwise it depends on the blister and on the situation ]
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/should-you-pop-a-blister-on-your-foot

It is best to treat hotspots before they become blisters ( e. g. rest / shorter day / walking slower / talcum / vaseline / taping / different socks / engo blister patches / poles / different lacing / different shoes (if you have e. g. walking sandals) / ... ).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a newbie - I got the sense that a lot of people (a) used vaseline on their feet to prevent blisters and (b) advised not pricking a blister if it does appear.

Talking with an ex marine this morning - (he used to walk with 52kg !!!) - they used to (a) use talcum powder on their feet as opposed to vaseline and (b) used to prick the blister and coat with Iodine

I guess both can be correct - but I found it interesting

mick
Hi Mick. Slight correction if you don't mind. I'm an old Marine myself and the idea always conveyed was that there is no such thing as an ex-Marine (unless one was dishonorably discharged)—that we called ourselves "former" Marines. That then was changed a few years ago when the Commandant of the Marine Corps issued a directive that we are to call ourselves Marines regardless of age or active duty status, i.e. no "ex", no "former." At age 75, I know it must sound strange to many ears when I say I am a Marine and the return thought is, "like, Dude, you can carry a 52 kg pack? Hmmm, I don't think so..." And I don't think I could either. 25 kilos for expeditions, and that's about my limit in the mountains these days. Camino Frances? 9 kilos fully loaded. Last year on the Camino I met and hiked with an 86 year old Marine aviator, and while we were together we figured we must have been the oldest duo on the Camino at a combined age of 161 years. In Orisson we compared notes on foot care. We both performed the same daily ritual: vaseline 2 times a day (first thing in the morning, and again after showering in the late afternoon) then a silk liner over which a medium weight Smart Wool sock. Neither of us had a single blister. The main thing to avoid is friction—this is what creates blisters. Personally, I've never used talcum powder. My thought is it might "cake up" when combined with perspiring feet, thus creating that friction. Others may have a more enlightened opinion on this aspect of the subject. When the time comes, Mick, have a Buen Camino. John

I am certainly an 'Ex'. (Brit) I can't do what I used to ! ;)

But the same deal.
Vaseline couple of times a day, thin liner sock, thick outer sock. Treat hot spots immediately, with hikers wool or tape. No blisters yet.......... If I got a blister and it was filled with fluid and uncomfortable, I would drain it, using sterile blade, betadene etc.

I am certainly an 'Ex'. (Brit) I can't do what I used to ! ;)

But the same deal.
Vaseline couple of times a day, thin liner sock, thick outer sock. Treat hot spots immediately, with hikers wool or tape. No blisters yet.......... If I got a blister and it was filled with fluid and uncomfortable, I would drain it, using sterile blade, betadene etc.
In my dreams, Robo, I'm still carrying that 52 kilo pack, running marathons, climbing Kilimanjaro, and drinking a Beefeater & tonic. One of those 4 things I can still actually do...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mick. Slight correction if you don't mind. I'm an old Marine myself and the idea always conveyed was that there is no such thing as an ex-Marine (unless one was dishonorably discharged)—that we called ourselves "former" Marines. That then was changed a few years ago when the Commandant of the Marine Corps issued a directive that we are to call ourselves Marines regardless of age or active duty status, i.e. no "ex", no "former." At age 75, I know it must sound strange to many ears when I say I am a Marine and the return thought is, "like, Dude, you can carry a 52 kg pack? Hmmm, I don't think so..." And I don't think I could either. 25 kilos for expeditions, and that's about my limit in the mountains these days. Camino Frances? 9 kilos fully loaded. Last year on the Camino I met and hiked with an 86 year old Marine aviator, and while we were together we figured we must have been the oldest duo on the Camino at a combined age of 161 years. In Orisson we compared notes on foot care. We both performed the same daily ritual: vaseline 2 times a day (first thing in the morning, and again after showering in the late afternoon) then a silk liner over which a medium weight Smart Wool sock. Neither of us had a single blister. The main thing to avoid is friction—this is what creates blisters. Personally, I've never used talcum powder. My thought is it might "cake up" when combined with perspiring feet, thus creating that friction. Others may have a more enlightened opinion on this aspect of the subject. When the time comes, Mick, have a Buen Camino. John

Sorry you are correct - he is still on reserve
Also - sorry for confusion the 52 was total loading i think with all kit and weapon - so not in the rucksack
I said the same thing to him about the 'cake up' problem -
A few people mention the inner sock - not tried it - but will do now . thanks

Thanks for your comments John .

You're welcome, Mick. Taking good care of my feet was my top priority during my 45 days on the Camino. This forum with its many members who unselfishly share their knowledge was a big help in getting things 'right' before setting off. All the best, John

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.