Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Maritime (Boat) Pilgrims obtaining a Compostela

Time of past OR future Camino
Since 2016 the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela have been recording Compostelas issued to Maritime Pilgrims. I am not sure if 2016 was the first year that they issued a Maritime Compostela or if it was simply when they started publishing the numbers who obtain this Compostela. I don't know what the conditions are around being able to claim this Compostela, perhaps someone who does know can point us all to the current rules.

I did read somewhere, probably on the Forum, about some Irish Pilgrims who rowed from Ireland to Spain. Possibly that was the 2016 group, I am not sure. Since 2016 it has become more popular and this year has seen the highest numbers of Maritime Compostelas ever with over 125 issued in July.

Below is a graph (using figures from the Pilgrim Office) showing the ebb and flow (is that a pun) of Maritime Pilgrims since 2016. Enjoy.

ModeBoat.jpeg

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
Since 2016 the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela have been recording Compostelas issued to Maritime Pilgrims. I am not sure if 2016 was the first year that they issued a Maritime Compostela or if it was simply when they started publishing the numbers who obtain this Compostela. I don't know what the conditions are around being able to claim this Compostela, perhaps someone who does know can point us all to the current rules.

I did read somewhere, probably on the Forum, about some Irish Pilgrims who rowed from Ireland to Spain. Possibly that was the 2016 group, I am not sure. Since 2016 it has become more popular and this year has seen the highest numbers of Maritime Compostelas ever with over 125 issued in July.

Below is a graph (using figures from the Pilgrim Office) showing the ebb and flow (is that a pun) of Maritime Pilgrims since 2016. Enjoy.

View attachment 131282

Wonderful! I don't have the balance and at 84 am considered too old for the shenanigans but what about paddle boarders and quad bikes eh? :) Its bad enough to be run over by cyclists and horsemen but now you can go for a dip and meet your maker courtesy of a jet ski :) Changed days!

Samarkand

SabineP

Veteran Member
some and then more. see my signature.
Some more information about the Irish fellows.

And indeed the tragic death of Danny Sheehy.

There are always faces and personal stories behind the statistics.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I are currently on the Camino Frances and just finished our walk for today into Logrono. A Peregrina ran up to us right after Viana visibly shaken. An elderly white haired man with...
The Camino needs pilgrims. Scare stories of a crowded Camino Frances are not helpfull. For a few days at the end of May and end of August there is pressure on accomodation for a few days after St...
It's been more than a week on the Camino for me so far, and while I've met amazingly kind-hearted pilgrims, amidst all the aches, pains and joys of the Camino, I had a negative experience at the...

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2022 Camino Guides