• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Mark Forums Read" tip

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Actually this is a suggestion for the forum, not the app, but I couldn't find a good place to post it.

There are days, like today, when I wish there was a "mark all read" button, so I didn't have to open each and every thread, including the ones I might not be interested in, in order to pull up a SHORT list of threads I haven't read.

I realize this could just be my own thing, but thought I'd mention it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie, there's a "Mark Forums Read" button at the upper left of each page, just under the Camino de Santiago tab. If you click it, it gives you the choice between marking just the current forum or marking all forums read.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie, from your non-tecchy friend, if I pull up "recent posts" it shows me which ones have posts I haven't yet read by a little blue dot on the left. But maybe that's not what you mean. I have never tried the "mark forums read" approach, but I will do that now to see what the difference is. Laurie

OK. I just looked on my page and I do not have the "Mark forums read". Under the Camino Sanitago Forum it shows it shows "Watched Forums, Watched social Forums, Watched Threads" but no Search Forums or Mark Forums Read. What do I need to change this?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can see two buttons with 'Mark forums read'. There is the one that Ivar has shown and also if in 'Recent posts' there is also another, just above the lisitngs but at the right hand side. That is the one I have been using.

I found the "Mark forums read" button, but when I clicked it, it asked me if I was sure I wanted to mark the forums. In my experience, 9 times out of 10, when the computer asks me if I really want to do something, I realize that I really don't want to do it. So could someone tell me what happens if I click it? (I guess my main question is what it means to "mark a forum" -- does each thread constitute "a forum"?) Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... In my experience, 9 times out of 10, when the computer asks me if I really want to do something, I realize that I really don't want to do it. So could someone tell me what happens if I click it? (I guess my main question is what it means to "mark a forum" -- does each thread constitute "a forum"?) Thanks.

In this case the computer/forum will do exactly what you want to do, mark all threads in a forum read. A forum is a collection of threads btw, not the single threads. Buen Camino, SY

In this case the computer/forum will do exactly what you want to do, mark all threads in a forum read. A forum is a collection of threads btw, not the single threads. Buen Camino, SY

Oh, I get it. Thanks SYates for explaining it to me (I think). If I click on "Mark forums read" that means that the computer will now tell me that I have read all of these threads even if I haven't? Why would anyone want to do that? I may be missing something here (and I surely am since annie now understands and she was the one who asked the question), but if I want to know what I have actually read and what I actually haven't read, I should not click that button, right? And I can already tell which ones I have read and which ones I haven't read by looking to see whether there is a little blue dot next to the post, right?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, that's right. I sometimes mark a forum read when I'm not that interested in going back over every thread ever posted there, but I'm interested in being able to tell quickly when there are new responses/threads.

.. If I click on "Mark forums read" that means that the computer will now tell me that I have read all of these threads even if I haven't? Why would anyone want to do that? I may be missing something here (and I surely am since annie now understands and she was the one who asked the question), but if I want to know what I have actually read and what I actually haven't read, I should not click that button, right? And I can already tell which ones I have read and which ones I haven't read by looking to see whether there is a little blue dot next to the post, right?

Yes, if you click that button the computer will 'think'/'know' that you have 'read' all these threads or in other words will treat the threads exactly as if you had read them. That can be useful for people like me that catch up after a longer absence. Once I hit the threads that haven't been updated in a while I will simply click 'mark all read and I am up to date, more or less. Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.