Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Market in Grado?

Time of past OR future Camino
I am supposed to be grading exams and so, of course, I am procrastinating!

Here's my question -- I read somewhere that there is a very good farmers' market in Grado. I seem to remember that the market is on a particular day and/or that its opening hours are limited. Does anyone have any info about it? I'd love to include it in my guide so if we are in the right place at the right time we can stop and not unwittingly walk by!

Thanks.

Liz

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am supposed to be grading exams and so, of course, I am procrastinating!

Here's my question -- I read somewhere that there is a very good farmers' market in Grado. I seem to remember that the market is on a particular day and/or that its opening hours are limited. Does anyone have any info about it? I'd love to include it in my guide so if we are in the right place at the right time we can stop and not unwittingly walk by!

Thanks.

Liz

My students are taking their exams right now so I can't start procrastinating yet, but I soon will be in that mode. Here's the answer, according to the municipality's website: http://www.ayto-grado.es/mercado-tradicional

Markets are every Wednesday and Sunday. These markets typically begin very early and are pretty much over and cleaning up by 1 or 1:30, in my experience.

Melide has one every Sunday, I believe, it's really a pretty amazing market, you will be tempted by more cheese and bread than you could ever hope to carry in your little pack.

Buen camino, Laurie

In fact, here's a list of all of them in Asturias. http://www.desdeasturias.com/mercados-semanales-asturias/

Looks like the ones on the Camino Primitivo are
Tuesday in Salas
Thursday in Tineo
Saturday in Pola de Lena (oops, that's on the Salvador, I can't remember if your guide includes the Salvador or not, sorry)
Second Sunday of every month in Grandas de Salime

Also, there are quite a few towns on the Norte listed, so I'll post a thread with this information there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And, just a heads up about Grado--if you miss market day and arrive on a Monday--all of the supermarkets will be closed! So, be sure to plan your food purchases around that, as it's a bummer to arrive in Grado and find all the stores closed (especially if you plan to sleep in San Juan de Villapañada, as it's just the stand alone, albeit wonderful, albergue, there are no facilities around)!

And, just a heads up about Grado--if you miss market day and arrive on a Monday--all of the supermarkets will be closed! So, be sure to plan your food purchases around that, as it's a bummer to arrive in Grado and find all the stores closed (especially if you plan to sleep in San Juan de Villapañada, as it's just the stand alone, albeit wonderful, albergue, there are no facilities around)!
Thanks for the head's up!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The market in Grado is on the street near the information kiosk, just off the main street. It was closing up as we arrived around mid-day.

Don't you just love this forum?

I'm walking the Primitivo next year as the second part of my next Camino (first half will be StJPDP to Burgos). The posts above have just stopped me being without any real food for nearly 2 days.

Thank you everyone for filling my tummy:D
Buen Camino

The Grado market was one of the best I had seen in northern Spain. If I hadn't been schlepping a pack, I would have carried away bags of nuts, cheese, and orujo casero. If you're there on any other day, Grado seems closed shut.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Orujo is a liquor distilled from grapeskins at the annual harvest. It is best known to pilgrims as orujo de hierbas, with herbs and honey-- very potent, but very agreeable. It is lovely after a meal.

Orujo blanco is the pure liquid, but seems to have an anise flavour, much like grappa or the better ouzos. Casero means that it is home-made, as Spanish farmers are allowed to distill a certain amount (I heard 100 litres) for home use and walking through Galicia and Asturias, I would see shop windows with distilling equipment for sale. They will often trade orujo for meals, or sell it under the counter to bars and restaurants. I find that it is purer and subtler than commercial orujo, but I would counsel pilgrims to make sure that they do not have to walk too far afterward. A Californian friend kindly bought me a bottle (thank you, Grant) and when he asked the farmer's wife what the proof might be, she just laughed at him: "who knows? who cares?"

Pilgrims will sometimes notice that there are vinegar shakers placed near the coffee machines.... they are not vinegar shakers at all, but they do contain orujo blanco. Upon enquiry, I was told that it was only to flavour one's cafe solo, and that this was especially appreciated by those whose doctors forbade them to use sugar. Orujo blanco can usually be purchased from village bars, but is usually sold in corked wine bottles and even sometimes in old coca-cola bottles. It is always excellent.

It also comes as orujo de cafe, made with coffee beans, but I think that this is a horrible drink, and so will ignore it.

Orujo is also known in Galicia as "Caña" (cane). I like very much licor de hierbas (gal. licor d'herbas)
The best Orujos are from North Galicia, Betanzos area, made from grapes with little sun that makes the orujo "softer" and "fruity". I know if a orujo is good just by smelling. If it is like pharmacy alcohol then it's bad, but if the grape bouquet still remains then it's good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pelegrin & oursonpolaire -- Thanks for the info! I think Orujo must be very similar to a liquor I had in Santo Domingo de Calzada. Its a funny story. My husband had pulled a back muscle trying to open a bottle of wine with a swiss army knife (funny but another story!). He got a very upset stomach from the Spanish ibuprofen which is generally 600 mg/tablet not 200 mg as in the US. Anyway I was in search of some naproxin for him and a local guy offered to show me to the pharmacy. After I got the naproxin he invited me to stop for a drink, which we did and enjoyed a tall shot of a green, honey flavored liquor with him an a bund of other guys from town who were at the bar. He then walked me all over town to show me what a great place Santo Domigo was. We bonded as we comparing our respective hometowns! It was just lovely! By the time I returned from my walkabout my husband was a bit worried. But it stands out as one of the many highlights of my camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.